Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Gucci
64-bit

Re: What are you playing?

by Gucci Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:31 pm

I started playing Donkey Kong ‘94 — a game I haven’t played since ‘96-‘97 and I’m actually enjoying my time with it a lot more than I thought.

Controls are tight, puzzle aspect is fun, and sounds bring back lots of memories.

So the game predates Mario 64. DK ‘94 is the first time, I believe, where we see Mario do a handstand jump, timed jump (handstand jump then you jump again just as you land for a higher jump), a left to right or right to left jump, and fall damage (or in this case depending on height you either land into a roll, fall and appear to be hurt, or just straight up lose a life).
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:31 pm

So I started playing Blue Fire. First impressions are...not good

So the game seems to be a kind of fusion between Dark Souls and Zelda...cause we really need more Dark Souls inspired games in 2021 :roll:

The platforming is mediocre, like ps1/N64 era mediocre. It's got me thinking of things like PS1 era Crash Bandicoot. The combat is about the same, like an old, 3d, Zelda game's combat, but sloppier. This game feels old and not in a fun, retro, way, but a clunky, outdated, "there's a reason we don't design games like this anymore" way. It's like Dark Souls in its bleak atmosphere. You have an ugly, goth, looking main character too. The distinct lack of save points also feels very Souls inspired. Combat though, feels a shitty version of Ocarina of Time more than it does a Souls game

The game is also just...boring. The characters are boring. The enemies are boring. The world is boring. The mechanics are boring. Nothing about Blue Fire feels imaginative or innovative in any way. It's just a copy paste of other, outdated, games
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:44 pm

So I've ditched Blue Fire, along with some other games mentioned in this thread like Smelter and Astalon. Smelter's not bad, but the non-platforming stuff just got on my nerves and Astalon's overall design started irritating me. I went into further detail on them in the games you gave up on in 2021 thread. I did quite the rant on Blue Fire actually

I've dipped my toes into Cris Tales and Samurai Warriors 5. SW 5 kind of feels like a back to the basics sort of musou game so far, which isn't a bad thing after disasters like Dynasty Warriors 9. This is classic musou gameplay. The presentation is pretty impressive. The story is delivered with some real visual pizzaz. For the first time, I'm actually paying attention to the story in a musou title. The graphics overall are not bad for a musou title. I'm having fun with this one, though I can never say for sure how long I will stay with a musou game as sometimes the grind for levels, weapons, stats, skills, etc. can get tiresome

Cris Tales is very interesting. The influences here feel like Doctor Who+Chrono Trigger+Samurai Jack. Also, there's a turn order you can see in combat kind of like Grandia or Final Fantasy X. The time travel stuff factors into the story. I had to make a choice about how to change the future at one point and I'm not sure if it was the right choice or not...but it did give me a trophy. Also, the time mechanics are cleverly integrated into combat. See a scary monster, send it to the past where it's a little baby monster. You just cast a poison spell? Send the monster into the future where all that poison damage will accumulate and hit that monster for big damage. The first boss has an impenatrible shield...until you have a character cast a water spell on it, then send the boss to the future where the shield is now rusted. These are some creative mechanics at play here. The game lacks some polish though, from typos to audio issues (the main character's dialog always sounds lower than every one else). I am playing an unpatched version of the game though. The art style of the game is why I mentioned Samurai Jack, feels like something from Genndy Tartakovski to me. I get the same vibe from some Klei Entertainment games
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:58 am

Finally finished Yakuza Kiwami 2 and the Majima saga. Gonna start the Doom Eternal DLC once I finish writing that review (which will probably go up Tuesday...ish).
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:45 pm

Been playing ys 9 on the switch, a bit of a slow start but the game definitely picks up once you get past the initial hump, fun combat system and really fluid movement options make wandering the world a joy, there is also some tremendous quality of life stuff in here, fast travels that load instantly, a shop in your base that stocks the items of every shop you visited removing the need to run around town to get the items you need, among other things that make the game seamless. Really enjoying the story so far as well, definitely a solid ARPG.

@raging justice: sorry to hear you didnt like blue fire, I absolutely loved the game, the platforming did take some getting used to but it is one of the best 3d platformers out there once you get used to it IMO. I also have to ask about your username, are you a big fan of the game or a developer for it? I think raging justice is one of the best beat em ups on the switch.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:11 am

Might have found the worst game ever: Y2K: The Game. I've never seen a game suffer from so many technical issues for a point and click game. It is a budget title but it's the late 90s, and late 80s/early 90s point and click games are so much more stable than this. There are no animations, and they don't even bother giving you the option to move the character wherever you want. Camera control is minimal with right clicking to pan around but it's hard to select stuff in awkward angles. They don't bother doing "examine item" in a goddamn museum room except for like 2 items. Hidden items are not really hidden. Like, you gotta trigger them to be able to access them, but highlighting the area still shows that the item or location exists there.

I'm shocked that it got decent scores in places like Gamespot.
Syndicate
32-bit

by Syndicate Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:54 pm

...between moving, school, and regular family and work stuff I haven't had too much time for gaming. However, I did find the time to start Dandara. I'm a fan of the Metroidvania genre and this one has a pretty unique twist, about 13-hrs in and I'm at the end of the game. It has a wicked difficulty spike for the last boss, but I'll probably finish it once I get everything hooked back up. The sad thing is, I totally forgot what games I was playing through before I started Dandara :?
Nexus-X
8-bit

by Nexus-X Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:53 am

I’m playing a rotation of G.I. Joe: Operation Blackout, Disaster Report 4, and Ion Fury.

This is my second attempt at finishing Ion Fury. My first was sabotaged by a corrupt save file that wouldn’t allow me to progress to the final area. I had started an on-disc version play through to see how viable the retail release version is for archival purposes. That version is incredibly unstable and the game crashes after sessions of about 2 hours. Unfortunately, patching the game didn’t fix the issue. I’m giving it another shot, this time mostly because the aiming in the on-disc version is better than the later patched versions. More options were added, but it never feels as responsive. Wish me luck

G.I. Joe: Operation Blackout is budget as hell with some fun nods to fans of the franchise. It feels like this was intended to be a hero shooter of sorts before the team repurposed it as a story-driven single player experience. It’s competent enough that I’m having fun with it, but the levels are bland and the combat isn’t very good. All of the weapons are projectile based, even small arms that would normally hit-scan in a similar 3rd person shooter. This makes aiming far more frustrating and unpredictable than it should be. It might be more fun as a couch co-op, but I guess it was worth the $10 I paid for it.

Disaster Report 4 is bananas. I read that it was originally a PS2 title and it shows. The performance on PS4 is some of the worst I’ve seen. Single digit frame rates on a PS4 Pro. The scenarios aren’t logical, and I keep playing to see what kind of weird hoops the game is going to put me through. Decisions don’t seem to matter, but playing through as a horrible person leads to hilarious dialogue. The game is taking forever to finish too, but I can’t stop playing because the whole thing is just so odd. I will complete it and shelve it for an eventual PS5 second playthrough to marvel at a smoother frame rate.
RetroKingPin

by RetroKingPin Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:18 pm

I just finished LOZ ALTTP and now am onto Scooby Doo Mystery on the SNES!
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:54 am

pook99 wrote:Been playing ys 9 on the switch, a bit of a slow start but the game definitely picks up once you get past the initial hump, fun combat system and really fluid movement options make wandering the world a joy, there is also some tremendous quality of life stuff in here, fast travels that load instantly, a shop in your base that stocks the items of every shop you visited removing the need to run around town to get the items you need, among other things that make the game seamless. Really enjoying the story so far as well, definitely a solid ARPG.

@raging justice: sorry to hear you didnt like blue fire, I absolutely loved the game, the platforming did take some getting used to but it is one of the best 3d platformers out there once you get used to it IMO. I also have to ask about your username, are you a big fan of the game or a developer for it? I think raging justice is one of the best beat em ups on the switch.

Sorry I missed this or I would have responded sooner. No, I'm not a developer for Raging Justice. I just like the game. There's very few 2d beat 'em ups that come out these days that I enjoy. I just wrote in another thread my disappointment with Mayhem Brawler. I think many of the ones that come out these days have balancing issues, and also just feel derivative and uninspired. I had a blast with Raging Justice though. I have my fingers crossed that Shredder's Revenge turns out good too as I'm starved for a great, 2d, beat 'em up right now

I may give Blue Fire another chance one day. It's just that there's a lot of games getting my attention lately, so when one starts to annoy me I just drop it. It's not like the old days when we had so few games to play, that I would stick with something and try to finish it even when it was irritating me. I've very picky about what games I actually finish these days because there's so many options. A game needs to be consistently entertaining me for me to want to finish it. I have seen that some people love Blue Fire, so I will give the game credit for that.
Return to General Gaming