Emulators, Hardware and HDTV

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Gnashvar
128-bit

Emulators, Hardware and HDTV

Post by Gnashvar »

I was looking at some videos of Wii games played on emulators. Most of these videos were in 720. I know emulators use filters and other methods to upscale the graphics. Is it possible to really make a Wii upscaler with hardware? I've seen some but are really crappy and do a really bad job of it. Releasing an official upscaler would really boost Nintendo in the console race. Not that they need to but still it would be fun. Is it really possible though?
Thanks everyone...
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Re: Emulators, Hardware and HDTV

Post by lisalover1 »

I don't think so with external hardware, but it might be possible to mod the Wii itself to do run in 720p. I haven't seen anything like that yet, but it is theoretically possible, if it has been done in an emulator.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

Emulators can upscale, much the way an external upscaler would. However emulators can also actually render the polygons at a higher resolution. You can't do that with an upscaler.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Maybe once you internalize a retrotink, you inline build in that expensive upscaling filter hdmi cable - "Marseille Inc. mCable". It does really make 480p look much better with almost 0 lag, if you're into those 'smart smoothing' filters. Even Bob from RetroRGB had no real complaints aside from the price. Linus Techtips also reviewed it.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Holy necrobump, Batman! But yeah, I know the mClassic helps out a lot with SD games outputting through HDMI, so I imagine the mCable would, too. I'm also planning to get a RetroTink 5x as soon as they get a restock for retro gaming on an HDTV.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Haha, I pocket dialed the forum on my phone and when it showed up I drunkposted a response. I think my thigh reversed the date-sort and found one of the first topics.
anyway, I think the new firmware of the retrotink 5X is amazing. I don't own one yet, but those CRT filters are incredible.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Can confirm. The latest scanline options are fantastic. I'm a big fan of the PVM setting.