Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by marurun »

I was in high school when that album came out and it was all over the place. Numb and Lemon were stylistic departures at the time.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

The Hyperkin Genesis and SNES clones have been great for me. Looks and sound just fine. I'm pretty surprised.
Nintendork666
Next-Gen

Post by Nintendork666 »

Playing Star Wars: Empire at War, and I can't shake how novel it is that this game feels "retro" to me now

2006 was only four years prior to me joining and becoming a regular here

during the good ol' days of retro collecting, before the bubble

take me back - please
AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X // MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3090 Image
Ack

Post by Ack »

Nintendork666 wrote:Playing Star Wars: Empire at War, and I can't shake how novel it is that this game feels "retro" to me now

2006 was only four years prior to me joining and becoming a regular here

during the good ol' days of retro collecting, before the bubble

take me back - please

Having just played through this, I know exactly what you mean. But it's been over 15 years since release. It's amazing and disturbing how time flies.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

Anyone mess around with the newly released Goldeneye for either the Xbox or Switch?

I don’t have game pass so I had to get the digital version of the Rare Replay collection. I already had some of the games from the collection: three Banjo’s and Perfect Dark classic from the 360 era. I was able to add the two Viva games I wanted to get.

Anyway, Goldeneye. Modern controls, stable frame rate. Being late back memories. No online multiplayer though. It isn’t the leaked XBLA game from a couple of years back but I’m fine with that.

Crazy how the N64 is living it’s best life since retirement on the Xbox.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Gucci wrote:Anyone mess around with the newly released Goldeneye for either the Xbox or Switch?

I don’t have game pass so I had to get the digital version of the Rare Replay collection. I already had some of the games from the collection: three Banjo’s and Perfect Dark classic from the 360 era. I was able to add the two Viva games I wanted to get.

Anyway, Goldeneye. Modern controls, stable frame rate. Being late back memories. No online multiplayer though. It isn’t the leaked XBLA game from a couple of years back but I’m fine with that.

The Switch version has online multiplayer. I've seen a couple of YT videos pop up in my feed about it, mostly negative stuff.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

Yeah I’ve seen some negative stuff too. Switch has horrid controls but online multiplayer. Cheat codes work.

Xbox has no multiplayer but better controls, up to 4K visuals. Flip side is that graphical issues crop up with suck a high resolution. Cheap codes don’t work. Have to unlock them through the levels.

It’s all over the place. Wish it was the canceled XBLA version all around. Ohh well. Still cool!
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

I still prefer the N64 version. Funny enough was playing this just a little bit the other day (already had the N64 hooked up and just decided on some late night run-throughs). Then this was announced a few days after that.
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

Gucci wrote:Anyone mess around with the newly released Goldeneye for either the Xbox or Switch?

I played through the first level on 00 agent on Xbox. It is a basic release. Runs at probably a better overall frame rate than N64 (still 30 FPS) and has more modern controls. I didn't even change the defaults, the twin stick setup they have is good enough for me. Overall, it's disappointing because I played the leaked XBLA version a couple years ago on an emulator. It has new graphics, ran at 60 FPS, and had a lot of love put into it.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I miss the days when videogames were about starting the game and any one in the family could join the fun.
Now you have to dig through manuals and on screen menus to figure out how to operate this thing.

Maybe the last console to do this was the Wii where any one can hold the wiimote and play Wii Sports