Official Mega Man Wily Wars North American Release

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
bmoc
Next-Gen

Official Mega Man Wily Wars North American Release

Post by bmoc »

Retro-Bit is releasing an officially licensed production of Mega Man Wily Wars for Sega Genesis. Preorders will be available from May 21 - June 21. it will cost $69.99 but it comes with lots of extras:

https://retro-bit.com/megaman-thewilywars/

And it looks like they are going the extra mile to fix some of the slowdown from the original Japanese version.
https://youtu.be/DDmthfhJCKk?t=34
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: Official Mega Man Wily Wars North American Release

Post by stickem »

Seen that from sega lord x, definitely interested.
Syndicate
32-bit

Post by Syndicate »

...Retro-Bit did good stuff w/the Toaplan releases, this is definitely on my radar.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

This has to come out AFTER the Genesis Mini.
Wily Wars was one of my main draws for getting it.
And get this, I actually played it and got through the Wily Tower and everything (seems rare I play the games I buy).

I do have a bootleg copy of Wily Wars that I got from someone on here. It doesn't save, but works fine for a quick romp through one of the games (and if Polymega ever comes out, may throw it on there too).

I am sitting this one out... but I would have gone nuts over it 5-10 years ago.
...just another lost soul...
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

nightrnr wrote:I do have a bootleg copy of Wily Wars that I got from someone on here. It doesn't save.

PM me if you want, I could fix that for you.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I likely won't purchase it either. If there was a cheaper standard version, I would consider it. But I am excited for all the Mega Man fans out there that really wanted this.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

bmoc wrote:I likely won't purchase it either. If there was a cheaper standard version, I would consider it. But I am excited for all the Mega Man fans out there that really wanted this.

Most of the cost of manufacturing this is in the hardshell case and the cart itself. The rest of the "extras" are just paper things, which cost next to nothing by comparison.

But I agree, it's too much money. At this price point, it's really only appealing to collectors. People who are gonna buy it to put it on a shelf and never play it.

It's funny though, back in 1993 a game could cost as much as $70. That would be about $129 today. And $70 today is like $38 in 1993. Paying $38 for a new game in 1993 would be awesome. But too bad that's not how the world works, manufacturing costs have come way down. Retro Bit has released other game carts at sub $30. So this priced at $70 is definitely inflated to try and capitalize on the game's status.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Ziggy587 wrote:PM me if you want, I could fix that for you.

I think I'm okay with it (if I recall, it was a freebie with another order), but I'll keep you in mind.

Really, I have flash carts for this sort of thing. I just wanted legitimate access to the game too, which the Gen Classic Mini provided.

Almost splurged for authentic once, but was too pricy for me at the time.
This is the page that I came across when searching for info about it long ago.
http://www.whipassgaming.com/Weekend%20 ... gaman.html

Wish he updated, as I liked his site.
...just another lost soul...
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Ziggy587 wrote: Retro Bit has released other game carts at sub $30. So this priced at $70 is definitely inflated to try and capitalize on the game's status.

Maybe, if you're only looking at hardware costs.

On the other hand, that makes an assumption that licensing the rights to publish a Mega Man game from Capcom costs a similar amount to the rights to publish 4 relatively obscure shooters from Taoplan. I'm assuming these are licensed as I'd imagine a big company clamping down on this otherwise.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Good point. You'd have to assume that Mega Man costs more to license than the other less popular games they've reproduced. Still... that equates to $40 more per copy?