New softmod for PS1 (tonyhax)

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Ziggy

New softmod for PS1 (tonyhax)

Post by Ziggy »

There is now a way to load backup games on a PS1 without any hardware modifications, meaning no mod chips or forceful swap tricks required. Basically, you need a special save file on a PS1 memory card for either Tony Hawk 2 or Tony Hawk 3. You load the Tony Hawk game and select "create skater" from the main menu, which loads the file on the memory card and triggers an exploit. You're then taken to a homebrew menu that will allow you to swap the disc out for a backup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b5UX5xd-lE

Pros: No modifications to the console are needed to run backup discs.

Cons: Must load another game first, which makes the process time consuming.

This might be perfect for someone who only occasionally needs to run a backup disc. But if you're constantly wanting to load backups, it might get very annoying having to wait to load up the Tony Hawk game first. PS1 mod chips are cheap, even if you have to pay someone to install it for you.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: New softmod for PS1 (tonyhax)

Post by bmoc »

What I find most interesting is that it took this long for someone to find and exploit it. As MVG said, presumably it is because mod chips are still relatively easy to find there just wasn't a lot of demand for an exploit of this nature. Still a very cool option to have.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I kinda skipped through the video, but didn't MVG say that the exploit was actually found a while back? There's a page he talked about that listed several exploits that were found, but no one bothered to make anything of them probably due to mod chips being relatively cheap and easy to install.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Correct. I know it is quibbling over semantics but I think it may be more accurate to say the vulnerability was found years ago but not developed into an exploit until recently.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

That's exactly what I meant. But yeah, it's awesome that someone did this. But I wonder how many people will actually be using it as their main way to boot backups.