Using Real Carts on Retro Arch

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Using Real Carts on Retro Arch

Post by Jagosaurus »

So I haven't seen this mentioned yet...

Looks like a Retrode type set up with integration into RA. Will be cool to see what comes of this.

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/intr ... e-project/

We have some high-level goals we aim to achieve with this project. We want seamless integration with RetroArch. When you attach this to RetroArch, it should be hopefully as simple to play the game as it is on a real game console when you plugged in the cartridge. That’s the level of integration we are aiming to achieve with this project, and none of the existing solutions out there really fit the bill.

When we mentioned before that we want RetroArch to be its own game console, we pretty much meant it. And being able to take your own game copies with you and run them with RetroArch seems like an obvious next step to take.

On a similar note... did this RA disc project get finished?

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/retr ... very-soon/

Would be pretty sweet to have RA cores run all of your carts & discs directly 8)

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Using Real Carts on Retro Arch

Post by Jagosaurus »

To answer my own question, I booted original PS1 US & JPN disc into RetroArch today on PC. Worked flawlessly.

Was pretty cool. I like the idea of collecting physical media but still being able to boot from it directly on a new(er... lol, old-ish laptop) machine if needed. Er... or just boot DLed images if too expensive (looking at you Snatcher) :lol:

I know this was available long ago... I remember seeing Sega CD disc working on OG Xbox. But a nice evolution to see this going from CDs to physical carts now in RA.

Hm... may pick this up depending on how they handle the multiple systems modules & price. Going from software to hardware production can be very challenging.

Side note... and a bit of cross pollinating topics...

Not hating on the PolyOmega or backers (yo, you can do this on Pi4 brah 8) )... but now knowing I can run existing laptop > RA > OG console Disc > HDMI > HD TV ... makes it less relevant to me personally. I was mostly interested in disc systems for it. Add in RA cart module though... even more so. Really interested to see how SS emu stacks up there vs RA cores which have come a long way in past few years since PO announced.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5