Scott Pilgrim the Game is coming back this holiday season!

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Scott Pilgrim the Game is coming back this holiday seaso

Post by alienjesus »

I don't think it's perfect by any means, but I quite enjoyed this game back in the day. It's no masterpiece, but I feel people who say it sucks are being quite unfair.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

alienjesus wrote:I don't think it's perfect by any means, but I quite enjoyed this game back in the day. It's no masterpiece, but I feel people who say it sucks are being quite unfair.

I don't know - I have yet to be persuaded that anything SP-related is worth a second look.

The game is a grind-fest (not the good kind), the controls are sloppy (an unforgivable sin in a brawler), and the RPG elements are more frustrating than fun. I think the game got a lot of goodwill because of its IP (which I also don't understand, at least based on my viewing the shitty movie - maybe the books are much better?) and because of it being a relatively early entry in the "new game but in a retro style" genre. Since that genre has really taken off in the past decade, we now have many better titles to choose from to scratch that itch. I can't think of any reason to recommend this game to anyone, and I actually have a hard time thinking of any moderately popular "modern retro" game that are worse...
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

alienjesus wrote:I don't think it's perfect by any means, but I quite enjoyed this game back in the day. It's no masterpiece, but I feel people who say it sucks are being quite unfair.

I think this is a fair assessment, I played the game back in the day and thought it was okay, there are certainly better beat em ups, but saying it completely sucks does feel a bit harsh.

I do think the game is over rated in general though, this is a game that gets a ton of hype and I don't think it deserves that either. I think the main reason it gets hype is that it is a decent game, based on a popular IP, that is no longer available for purchase.

Either way, I am glad it is getting rereleased, there are tons of great digital only games out there from this era and many of them absolutely deserve a modern release so they do not eventually disappear (most notably bionic commando rearmed 2 and hard corps uprising)
marurun

Post by marurun »

The game’s mechanics are merely serviceable. It is the graphics that really elevate it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.