Analogue Pocket - FPGA GameBoy/GBC/GBA

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Analogue Pocket - FPGA GameBoy/GBC/GBA

Post by bmoc »

There is supposed to be an announcement today at 8am PST/11am EST. Most people think preorders will go live. https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1285937700067934213
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

They've updated the product page and preorders go live Aug 3rd 8am PST/11am EST. Shipping May 2021. Store page is up so you can see prices. https://www.analogue.co/store#pocket

The dock is $99.99 :evil:
marurun

Post by marurun »

And the unit itself is $199.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I'm pretty psyched and will absolutely be preordering one of them, along with the Game Gear adapter. The fact that I can get a link cable, MIDI cable, and protective case are all pluses in my book too.
I'm planing on getting the other adapters when they become available; it looks like a good way to finally be able to experience the handful of Lynx games that piqued my interest.

I'll probably be holding off on the dock for a while, but I don't think the price is too surprising compared to other Analogue products. I can still see myself getting one down the line; in the meantime I already have a Game Boy Player for Gamecube, so I'm not too hungry for one.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Well, I was lucky enough to secure a pre-order.
I got the black plus the dock and the hard case.
Anybody else get in? Or try to unsuccessfully?

I know on Twitter a lot of people were bothered by how quickly they went (maybe in the first 15 minutes) and were then talking about how they should just go with a MiSTER, a modded GBA, or a software emulation device.

Where's your thoughts at?

Personally, I'm looking forward to a modern handheld. I've been too lazy to get a GBA modded and I like the idea of getting ports of MiSTER cores. Plus the TV dock sweetens the possibilities.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I managed to get one! Also getting the hard case, Game Gear adapter, link cable, and MIDI cable.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I'd really like to get one but I don't like the idea of letting them sit on my money for the better part of a year. And there is still a lot of potential for manufacturing delays with the state of the world right now. I guess I am a bit gun shy after all the Polymega delays. One crowd funded console at a time for me! I'd also like to see some Mister cores running on it before pulling the trigger.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Glad to see a few members here able to get through on the pre-order. I'm interested in purchasing one, as the idea of a modern handheld console that can play games from a variety of handhelds is pretty great IMO but I just purchased a laptop and a few games so decided to not go for it. The design of the handheld is really sleek though, looks awesome. Also, the idea of a dock is really nice too.

Any idea why they wouldn't have kept the pre-order window open though? Maybe just logistics because of the pandemic?

It seems like they're using the limited hype release method for their business, seen in sneaker and streetwear culture, and now with Limited Run and some of these other small game publishers, which is disappointing.
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

I want one, but I wouldn't pre-order even if I could. Been burned too many times on that, thanks.

Show me the product in hand and I'll pay.

Not sure if I need the dock or not. I'll have to see how it looks on a modern tv. I've been underwhelmed with the little proof of concept material they've provided so far.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

My dad was able to snag one when the window was open. He's pretty stoked about it. Will be excited to try it, too.