Turbografx 16 mini announced by konami!

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Turbografx 16 mini announced by konami!

Post by Hazerd »

This is very exciting, i strangely want all 3 variations.

https://kotaku.com/konami-announces-the ... Xk-beGLhJg
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Turbografx 16 mini announced by konami!

Post by Jagosaurus »

Won't lie, was rolling my eyes a bit until I saw the initial titles come on strong... with CD titles! I kept thinking Sega would include some CD titles. Worth noting TG CD titles have been a pain for me personally to get running in emu.

Six titles have been announced so far for North America/Europe:

R-Type
Ys Book I & II
New Adventure Island
Ninja Spirit
Alien Crush
Dungeon Explorer

The Japanese version, meanwhile, has an almost entirely different set of games:

Bonk’s Adventure
Dracula X
The Kung Fu/China Warrior
Ys I & II
Super Star Soldier
Dungeon Explorer]

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

We’ll definitely get Bonk - probably all three of them - and I would like to see Super Star Soldier and Dracula X. The can keep China Warrior, though. That game is awful.

I’d love to see Legendary Axe. I don’t think that game’s ever been re-released.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I was playing Legendary Axe this weekend. My 4 yr old son walks in... "you're playing Castlevania again!?" :lol:

It has that vibe and even musical tone. He commented on the bats. I never thought about it too much until then.

If they include Dracula X stateside... that plus Ys Book already shown... I'm in.

What are the other big CD games? More Ys, Lord of Thunder game(s), & Dungeon Explorer 2? Sure I'm missing more marquee CD titles.

Speculation of hu card must haves?

Blazing Lasers
Splatter House
Keith Courage (launch title)

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

English Rondo or bust!
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Please don't suck Please don't suck Please don't suck Please don't suck Please don't suck Please don't suck Please don't suck Please don't suck Please don't suck Please don't suck Please don't suck .....
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I love the current wave of mini consoles, so I'm probably going to get this one at some point.

I never got into TurboGrafx or PC Engine. I thought about it a number of times, and I did a good bit of reading on the subject, but I never pulled the trigger. There were too many add-ons, system cards, versions, and variations in compatible hardware. The whole thing overwhelmed me... despite my familiarity with Sega Genesis add-ons. Also, the price on TurboGrafx/PC Engine stuff gave me sticker shock. Sometimes I would add up the cost of trying to get a system that could reliably play CD-ROMs and Arcade Card games, and the total price would stretch into the low end of Neo Geo pricing.

Now I'm looking forward to buying an affordable little HDMI box that looks like a PC Engine, and plays all the games I want without any headaches.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Yeah, I similarly never really got into the TurboGrafx due to the fact that it seems really awkward to choose a model for an optimum setup without spending a bunch of money. I got some games on the Virtual Console, but I really like the idea of this plug & play.
I hope that it has a large game selection!
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Michi wrote:Please don't suck Please don't suck Please don't suck Please don't suck Please don't suck Please don't suck Please don't suck Please don't suck Please don't suck Please don't suck Please don't suck .....

Yeah. I'm also a little worried about this. This is actually another mini console that I would potentially want, but I feel like it could end up a lot more like Sony's attempt. Hopefully Konami will take notes from Sega, and put a couple people who are actually really passionate about the PC-Engine in charge of this project.

Nemoide wrote:Yeah, I similarly never really got into the TurboGrafx due to the fact that it seems really awkward to choose a model for an optimum setup without spending a bunch of money.

Yeah, I don't know if it's really possible without spending a lot of money. The TG-16 line is pretty simple: Base console, CD attachment, Turbo-Duo. It's not much different from the Genesis, really. In Japan it does get a little more complicated, but it's still not that tough: One of the Duo consoles, if you want it simple; Super CD system, plus SuperGrafx, if you're a lunatic; Briefcase and CD attachment, with a variety of core systems, if you really want that style of setup, and want to have to buy all the system cards separately.

I don't really see the arcade card as a worthwhile investment, these days. There aren't all that many games that require it, and almost all of them can be played on on newer hardware, for less coin.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

pierrot wrote:I don't really see the arcade card as a worthwhile investment, these days. There aren't all that many games that require it, and almost all of them can be played on on newer hardware, for less coin.

Agreed. You can get a turbo everdrive for the same cost & it'll act as Arcade Card.

It'll also act as Super System Card & System Card.

Did I miss any :lol: ? That scene gets crazy quick. Upon lookup...

YUUUPPP.... forgot about ppl with original CD ROM wanting to play arcade CD ROM titles need this...

People who were still using a PC Engine console with the original CD-ROM² System add-on could opt for the Arcade Card Pro instead, which essentially combines the functionalities of the Arcade Card Duo and the Super System Card into one by adding the 16-Megabits of D-RAM from the former on the top of the 192kB of added buffer RAM and BIOS update from the latter.

That's not counting the Game Express CD card for those 4 or so adult games piracy circumvention games...
While seemingly able to break the protection of standard PC Engine hardware (and so manufacture their own compatible HuCards), their CD-based titles require a unique "CD card" to be inserted into a console before discs will function, presumably to bypass anti-piracy systems.

However, all four of Games Express' CD titles are Super CD-ROM² games. As the HuCard slot needs to be taken up by the company's own CD card, this negates the possibility of using a Super System Card, and so demands that a console with Super CD-ROM² functionality built in be used - either the PC Engine Duo and PC Engine Duo-R (or a TurboDuo with a HuCard region converter). Games Express' titles are the only known video games to demand the use of a PC Engine Duo.

That's 5 cards... okay we'll go with 4 official that I'm aware of, all depending on CD system type and what is built in, or not. There were a few variants with firmware changes too.

A pre-made HDMI unit with all this built in would be amazing.