Turbografx 16 mini announced by konami!

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
dsnell99

Re: Turbografx 16 mini announced by konami!

Post by dsnell99 »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:
Sarge wrote:I know they're including a lot of games, but $100 does feel like they're pushing it a bit. SNES has more cultural cachet, but cost $80.

Valid point. Didn't SONY already prove that the market will not bear a hundred dollar price point for this type of product?

I mean... you and I know that SONY botched the PS1 mini in multiple ways, but the buying public doesn't know that. They just see a price tag, and make a decision based on that.

I don't think it's fair to say the average customer is THAT inconsiderate in their purchase to the point where buying the PS1 Classic was just "how much does it cost." Sure, I imagine the large majority of people didn't know (or probably care) about the more nitty gritty emulator and underpowered hardware of the thing. But I imagine a large majority of people also saw the thing, got excited, then saw so few (if any) of the big games from the PS1 that they would've wanted it for that they passed on it.

I think the bad library killed the PS1 Classic's prospects more than anything else, and then people weren't willing to pay $100 for the "best of the B-grade" of their PS1-era nostalgia.

Agree 100% with this take. Sorry for being late to the party, but I'm trying to catch up on everything that's been discussed so far. This is by far the most excited I've been for any retro system to date. The fact that I never had a TG-16 but always wanted one is only part of the allure. My biggest fear right now though, is that since this is clearly a niche product, and it's only be sold through Amazon, I have a feeling there is going to be a very limited production run followed by tons of price gouging from resellers. Like way more than the Nintendo systems. I've been hemming and hawing on pre-ordering due to the price point and how far out it is, but it's really kind of silly. I know I'm going to want one of these (even if the emulation is somehow not perfect). I paid full price for the SNES classic when I already owned digital versions of half the games on the Wii/Wii U. $100 for all of these games is really a freaking steal... I was super fired-up for the Genesis mini, but now can't even think about it!

Sorry, I don't know what my point was, but I think I just convinced myself to go preorder.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

dsnell99 wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:I don't think it's fair to say the average customer is THAT inconsiderate in their purchase to the point where buying the PS1 Classic was just "how much does it cost." Sure, I imagine the large majority of people didn't know (or probably care) about the more nitty gritty emulator and underpowered hardware of the thing. But I imagine a large majority of people also saw the thing, got excited, then saw so few (if any) of the big games from the PS1 that they would've wanted it for that they passed on it.

I think the bad library killed the PS1 Classic's prospects more than anything else, and then people weren't willing to pay $100 for the "best of the B-grade" of their PS1-era nostalgia.

Agree 100% with this take. Sorry for being late to the party, but I'm trying to catch up on everything that's been discussed so far. This is by far the most excited I've been for any retro system to date. The fact that I never had a TG-16 but always wanted one is only part of the allure. My biggest fear right now though, is that since this is clearly a niche product, and it's only be sold through Amazon, I have a feeling there is going to be a very limited production run followed by tons of price gouging from resellers. Like way more than the Nintendo systems. I've been hemming and hawing on pre-ordering due to the price point and how far out it is, but it's really kind of silly. I know I'm going to want one of these (even if the emulation is somehow not perfect). I paid full price for the SNES classic when I already owned digital versions of half the games on the Wii/Wii U. $100 for all of these games is really a freaking steal... I was super fired-up for the Genesis mini, but now can't even think about it!

Sorry, I don't know what my point was, but I think I just convinced myself to go preorder.

I've been of that mindset too a little bit as people around here have bandied about that fear that this may be a super limited run, but I'm trying to stay positive. If Konami loves anything, it's making money, and I don't think they will let a product in high demand go unfulfilled, at least to the point where they won't do at least a second print run after the first.

And beyond that, this is all stuff I can emulate easily really well on my PC, so at the end of the day I'm okay if I don't get one. For the sake of convenience and because it looks cool, I'd certainly like to get one, but I'm trying to keep in perspective what this product is. On that point, I've largely held off on pre-ordering for both the reasons that it's not the end of the world if I don't get one, but also because I really don't wanna end up with a pile of garbage if the unit itself turns out to be terrible. I mean I could live if it's PSOne Classic-levels of "not quite right," but if these start shipping out and they're made of sandalwood, I'm not gonna be very happy that I blew like, 10,800 yen on it. I'm at least waiting for reviews to come out for it, like I did with the Mega Drive Mini.

And welcome to the forum~ :mrgreen:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Turbografx Hype > Sega Genesis Hype, we have already gotten Sega collections over the years, on every generation since like PS2.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Hazerd wrote:Turbografx Hype > Sega Genesis Hype, we have already gotten Sega collections over the years, on every generation since like PS2.

Don’t you mean Turbografx demand < Sega demand? :wink:
marurun

Post by marurun »

The Little Engine That Could did have a really good run on the Wii Virtual Console and PlayStation store.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

marurun wrote:The Little Engine That Could did have a really good run on the Wii Virtual Console and PlayStation store.

Although the American PSN library is veeery small (if it exists at all), and you can't buy their stuff on the Wii U eShop channel (sadly QwQ). The controller issues with the Mega Drive Mini really made me realize just how redundant it was compared to all the collections that have come out for the years, so really do gotta say that, while people who really care about a TG16 Mini are certainly in the minority when compared to Ninendo Mini and Genesis Mini fans, it's certainly one that I'm still excited for if only because so many of those games are still so hard to get legitimately.

Still not gonna pre-order one after the disappointment that was my Mega Drive Mini, but I'm still really hoping that it'll be something worth getting~
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I'm praying they make the controller cord longer than the SNES classic controllers. People aren't sitting 3 feet from their televisions anymore.
marurun

Post by marurun »

opa wrote:I'm praying they make the controller cord longer than the SNES classic controllers. People aren't sitting 3 feet from their televisions anymore.

In the US they rarely were ever. You should see how short the classic TG-16 cables are. It was made during a time when a Japanese tween likely had a 13" TV in their bedroom and sat on the floor right in front of it after pulling their console out from under the TV. And when bringing it to the US, they just never bothered to rethink that assumption.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
dsnell99

Post by dsnell99 »

So we're a little over 3 months out, and it seems like the initial hype has completely dissipated. Is Konami gonna repeat the sins of the past and completely ignore marketing this thing when it launches?

Anyone heard any other cool news since TGS?
marurun

Post by marurun »

I saw some YouTube ads a few weeks ago.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile