Turbografx 16 mini announced by konami!

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
dsnell99

Re: Turbografx 16 mini announced by konami!

Post by dsnell99 »

Actually, looks like this got posted over the weekend. Cool!

https://youtu.be/gqXHppXIG60

And i think they have similar videos for the other two regions.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

dsnell99 wrote:Actually, looks like this got posted over the weekend. Cool!

Just watched this video. They had a narrator describe every game individually. The poor copy writer had to write dozens of different ways to describe a shoot 'em up game. :wink: And that poor narrator had to tell us that Y's Book I & II are the combination of Y's Book I and Y's Book II. :lol: Later the same narrator had to tell us that Y's I * II is the Japanese version of Y's Book I & II. Super Cringey!

Anyway, I'm hyped. This seems to confirm that we will be able to access the Japanese games, but without english language support. So we will all get the pleasure of randomly selecting items in Snatcher hoping we get to see something cool. How far will we get before we just download a walkthrough? :wink:
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Yeah, I watched the Japanese trailer, and when it got to the TG-16 games, the narrator was talking about how, 'The US version of Dungeon Explorer was included in response to those players who wanted to see the game in its English form,' and I was thinking, 'Who! Who are these players? I don't believe you!'

Anyway, watching it made me really want to break out the PC Engine and play some Nectaris, or something.
dsnell99

Post by dsnell99 »

samsonlonghair wrote:
dsnell99 wrote:Actually, looks like this got posted over the weekend. Cool!

Just watched this video. They had a narrator describe every game individually. The poor copy writer had to write dozens of different ways to describe a shoot 'em up game. :wink: And that poor narrator had to tell us that Y's Book I & II are the combination of Y's Book I and Y's Book II. :lol: Later the same narrator had to tell us that Y's I * II is the Japanese version of Y's Book I & II. Super Cringey!

Anyway, I'm hyped. This seems to confirm that we will be able to access the Japanese games, but without english language support. So we will all get the pleasure of randomly selecting items in Snatcher hoping we get to see something cool. How far will we get before we just download a walkthrough? :wink:

:lol:

Also can use google translate thing on your phone... That should get some good engrish transrations for a bit...
Phades
64-bit

Post by Phades »

I’m pretty excited about this. I think I may have to grab the pc engine version though.
XBL: Phades
PSN: Phades
Steam: Phades
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Delayed, i dont plan to buy it anyways due to numerous reasons for me personally, but im still excited for its release, may pick it up at a cheaper price someday.

https://www.slashgear.com/konami-turbog ... -09612548/
marurun

Post by marurun »

I’m not sure how much extra KONAMI will make outside of the initial pre-orders, once production resumes, anyway.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
dsnell99

Post by dsnell99 »

So, I was pretty bummed about this being delayed (1st world problems), but then I noticed it was available in Japan. So I ordered a pc engine mini off of amazon japan, and it got delivered in less than a week. Freakin crazy! DHL actually transported it to my house in what looks like less than 36 hours from Yokohama. I plan on busting it out this evening. Also... I got a famicom classic mini while i was at it for good measure. should stay busy through this corona.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

This is a tough one to gauge. With it only sold through Amazon, will the price eventually go down? Will they do a second production run? Will it be hacked? I love the idea of CD games on it, but most are not translated.

HD setup is nice, I guess I’m weighing this vs my Duo R and flash cart. Although you can finally save with one of these Minis.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

The new North American release date is May 22nd. https://www.amazon.com/TurboGrafx-16-mi ... 07QD9GQ9J/

FWIW, I ended up canceling my preorder after I got an email from Amazon saying it was going to be released in January 2021. I figured that wasn't correct and likely a placeholder but it did not instill confidence. I also realized that the Polymega base unit will play most of the games I care about and I don't really need both. I might pick up one of those 8bitdo TG16 wireless controllers if it is confirmed to work with the Polymega.