Turbografx 16 mini announced by konami!

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Turbografx 16 mini announced by konami!

Post by dsheinem »

Mine showed up yesterday and I already adore it. It is bigger than I thought it would be (about twice the size of the SNES mini) and seems to run on the same menu/emulator engine as the Genesis mini does. I’d love to see a breakdown of the market value for these games in their original form (some of the PCE titles are especially quite pricey) - I’d bet it is far more in total value than that of the other mini consoles.

My favorite little thing so far is the animation of the insertion of and arcade card followed by the PCE-CD disc whir sound on the titles for that add on. Makes me wish the Genesis mini had some Sega CD stuff on it (has anyone figured out how to get those on that system?).
I really want one of these, but the price is too steep for me right now. I waited until the PSC and Genesis Mini was $30 before purchasing... I'm not as confident that this will drop in price like those two did.
DSH, I'll PM you about adding SCH to the Genesis Mini.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

dsheinem wrote:My favorite little thing so far is the animation of the insertion of and arcade card followed by the PCE-CD disc whir sound on the titles for that add on.

lmao that rules. This thing seems cool.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I held off on other big purchases this month, and I treated myself to a PC Engine Mini as my treat to myself before Summer vacation starts tomorrow~
I've only played around with it a little, but I'm really enjoying it! It certainly sucks that the Japanese version of the console doesn't come with turbo switches (like the Famicom Mini, making itself a worse product for the sake of retro authenticity, although certainly not to the degree of the Famicom Mini), but I wanted FEoE2 and Tokimeki Memorial more than Salamander (mostly in the hope that I'll eventually be good enough with my Japanese to stream Tokimeki in an entertaining fashion~).

I know I've seen Maru complain a little about some input lag on the system, and while I've only tried out a few games so far, I think I definitely notice it with Bonk. The 3 TG16 Bonk games are some of the few TG16 games I've played before, granted it was on the Wii VC many years ago, but something about the nature of how Bonk controls feels just a tad off. I'm not sure if that's just because the first Bonk game controls a bit weird (which it does) and it's been a while since I've played these games (like 10 years probably, give or take), but I do at least THINK I'm noticing something ^^; . At the very least, the input lag here is nowhere near as much of a deal-breaker as it was the Mega Drive Mini I picked up last year.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Syndicate
32-bit

Post by Syndicate »

...I missed out on the initial run so I'm still waiting for this to be restocked, I probably shouldn't hold my breath though.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Back in stock at Amazon right now. Ships on the 19th.
Syndicate
32-bit

Post by Syndicate »

bmoc wrote:Back in stock at Amazon right now. Ships on the 19th.

...I meant to post this a week ago, but thanks for the heads up. I told my wife about the units being available and she picked one up as a surprise, this thing is pretty awesome...not as awesome as my wife who surprised me w/it but I digress :D
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I'm glad you were able to get one. Your wife sounds like a keeper!