Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: The OSSC Thread

by Anapan Sun May 06, 2018 8:30 am

I have both the Framemeister and OSSC, and I still strive to get 240P to 480P with scanlines. Both do it well, but I'm so glad I have both. Neither can do it perfectly, but when I get it right on one, it's totally worth it. If someone wants to get that 480P smooth scanline look that is my only goal - the OSSC wins hands down. It is easily the only scaler I need. The Framemeister is so much more, I do need it for some situations when the signal is badly offset, dirty, or too nonstandard. The OSSC can do everything the OSSC can, but the Framemeister is so much harder to tweak because of it's advanced frame processing engine. I love that it can adjust the entire image by the sub-pixel, but I hate that it has to be tweaked by the sub-pixel to get it right. The OSSC can just fit the pixels properly into your display,
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:44 am

My Life in Gaming released a new episode yesterday on 4K gaming. The OSSC was heavily featured. I highly recommend that you check it out if you have a 4K TV that you are planning to use the OSSC with. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dym6XD3-8qw

On a side note, there have been a few firmware updates since I last posted in this thread. A good chuck of it has been bug fixes and tweaking really advanced features. However the most recent firmware added Hybrid Scanline support. Hybrid Scanlines lighten the image a good deal. So if you think that OSSC's normal scanline feature makes the image too dark, this will help greatly. I haven't tried it myself because I'm happy with the way mine is operating.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:48 pm

MLIG posted this 3 days ago...

If you've been interested in the OSSC (Open Source Scan Converter), a company called Kaico is now selling their own version. As of the other day, it is now available on Amazon.com in the USA and available for next day shipping if you have Prime.

This unit has been broken down, tested, and vetted by Voultar, who confirmed that it uses good components, and is not a cheap knock off like the ones that popped up on Ali Express. Kaico sent us a sample unit and based on our testing, it seems to perform just as well as the versions that have been sold previously.

The OSSC is currently our preferred way to connect RGB, component, and VGA signals to modern TVs. The Kaico units are available here (this is an Amazon affiliate link if you'd like to support us here at MLiG):

https://amzn.to/2Tuiw59

In addition, you can continue to purchase the OSSC from its original distributor, Video Game Perfection:

https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event= ... Y2MDA2NDAz
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:59 am

Thanks for sharing Ziggy. I missed this news.

I really need to fork up fork up for an OSSC for component & a Retro Tink 2X for s vid & composite. Maybe a nice Christmas gift in a few months.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:34 am

Jagosaurus wrote:I really need to fork up fork up for an OSSC for component & a Retro Tink 2X for s vid & composite. Maybe a nice Christmas gift in a few months.

Would that be better than getting a Framemeister? I mean, the cost of a new OSSC and Retrotink 2x combined is just under what a brand new Framemeister would cost. And about the same price as a used Framemeister (or more if you can find a good deal).
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:22 am

Ziggy587 wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:I really need to fork up fork up for an OSSC for component & a Retro Tink 2X for s vid & composite. Maybe a nice Christmas gift in a few months.

Would that be better than getting a Framemeister? I mean, the cost of a new OSSC and Retrotink 2x combined is just under what a brand new Framemeister would cost. And about the same price as a used Framemeister (or more if you can find a good deal).

From reviews I've seen, the OSSC handles 480p over component better. That certainly would be a simpler setup. Scaring me that newer TVs are all dropping component. My modded oXbox & PS2 need love too! I'm debating my options and still watching videos... way too many :lol:

MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:24 am

I'm rocking both (Tink into OSSC) and it's been amazing how much better it has been than the experience with my old X-RGB3. I'd need the OSSC anyway, since I also feed it my Dreamcast VGA and my Genesis component (don't have room on my component switch box for the Genesis).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:57 am

Okay... so I was going to go Tink straight into TV for composite & Svid. I completely forgot about the OSSC HDMI input. I've seen someone do this... assuming MLiG. Ok.... now I'm even more tempted.

My TV does not allow me force anything above 480p on HDMI to 4:3. I could do the following correct?

240 composite from NES > Retro Tink 2x > output 480p HDMI > into OSSC HDMI input > output 1080p HDMI > OSSC displaying 4:3 at device level options, not via TV menus

MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:33 pm

That's the setup I'm using.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:37 pm

Niceee.

2 questions I think I know the answers to, but will ask:

1. Do you agree the OSSC handles 480p signals over component better than the XRGB mini?

2. Having all 3 (OSSC, Tink, XGRB)... What's your preferred setup for 480i over component?

Return to Old-School Gaming News