Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Polymega/Retroblox: New 1080p "Clone" 2600 to PCE-CD to PS1

by Jagosaurus Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:54 pm

Okay, this thing is modular which I personally don't care for but it would lower costs if you don't want a certain system. The addition of PCE-CD, Sega CD, & PS1 is nice. Will support 2600, NES, SNES/SFC, Genesis/MFD, TG/PC.

http://retroblox.com/

YouTube video by Gamester81:
https://youtu.be/yBsXVza8j5s

With RetroBlox™, the “one console” future is just around the corner thanks to Element Modules which are compatible with real retro game cartridges for an unprecedented number of systems like NES and Genesis. It also includes an optical disc drive compatible with real CD games for systems like PSX and Sega CD. With online connectivity that rivals current-gen consoles and an elegant user interface that modernizes the classic gaming experience in 1080p HD, the ultimate living-room worthy retro console has finally arrived.

We’re heading to leading crowdfunding sites in April 2017

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Retroblox: New 1080p "Clone" - 2600 to PCE-CD to PS1

by Tanooki Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:00 pm

Saw this brought up already elsewhere. I'll just throw out more or less what I said there. I don't like it. It makes me think of it just being one grossly expensive device to get all you want out of it. You basically have a Retron5, but more closely the Retrofreak. You want to do something like do this or that system and use a real controller for it, buy a module. Want to do another, buy another module, and another...etc. It could get exceptionally expensive if you want some swiss army knife situation there, or even at least what the RetroFreak can pull off or Retron5 already and very likely for less to far less money. It appears to just be yet another emulator unless each box is its own console using just the plug in device as a bridge to putting out the data to the screen.

The saving grace though is the disc ability of it. PCEs, SCDs, they're cheap and fail prone from the caps to the rest. This would likely if not built as badly as first gen retron5s or worse, be more bulletproof than the aging beasts.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:22 pm

I'm not big on clone consoles, but I've slowly been reconsidering my stance. I think this sounds awesome and I can't wait to find out more, especially the pricing.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:30 pm

Intriguing piece of tech. Their blog claims a patent application for something called "Hybrid Emulation," which sounds like maybe some sort of FPGA type deal?

The guys behind it seem to have impressive gaming industry credentials.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:57 am

I'm interested mainly thanks to the DVD/CD drive. If it could pull off full support for the majority of the older disc based systems I'd definitely be all over this since I keep running into duds :P. I wonder if they will force you to buy a modular unit for each disc based system or if you just need a control module for your desired control method or if they will just let you use a more modern wireless controller.

If the unit were to be around $100-$150 with the modules being around $50-60 a pop I would probably end up picking one up just to save some of my older stuff from wear and tear.

I have a Retron 5 currently but it doesn't really feel like it's going to last more then a year or two of use. At least if this system doesn't get the pins just right all you have to worry about is replacing a module if it fails which hopefully won't be to pricey.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

by Thierry Henry Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:56 am

Tanooki wrote:You want to do something like do this or that system and use a real controller for it, buy a module. Want to do another, buy another module, and another...etc.

To a degree, I guess, there is some precedence even as far back as about a quarter of a century ago.

A bit like the Laseractive, then? :P

-Want to play Genesis/Mega Drive /Sega CD/Mega CD /Mega LD games?
Buy the Mega LD PAC (PAC-S1 / PAC-S10) module.

-Want to play TurboChip/HuCard /CD-ROM²/Super CD-ROM² /LD-ROM² games?
Buy the LD-ROM² PAC (PAC-N1 / PAC-N10) module.

-Want to use the LaserKaraoke titles?
Buy the Karaoke PAC (PAC-K1 / PAC-K10) module.

:P
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Anayo
Next-Gen

by Anayo Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:08 am

I understand why someone would buy repro carts or an everdrive to play games on original hardware, but I do not understand why someone would buy authentic carts to play them on repro hardware.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:17 am

Anayo wrote:I understand why someone would buy repro carts or an everdrive to play games on original hardware, but I do not understand why someone would buy authentic carts to play them on repro hardware.

Picture quality and saving space under the TV.

Maybe they already have the carts too.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:59 am

Anayo wrote:I understand why someone would buy repro carts or an everdrive to play games on original hardware, but I do not understand why someone would buy authentic carts to play them on repro hardware.

My opinion is the exact opposite.

These new clone consoles like the Retron 5 are massive space savers, and allow options for save states, screenshots, controller figuration, patching, and so on. All the while you can still build a mass collection of authentic carts.

Repro carts aren't worthwhile for the most part. They're unofficial, many use cannibalized parts, and they're way too expensive.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:05 am

I like to collect official games and consoles, but older consoles can be a little flaky especially disc based ones so if I can buy new hardware to play the stuff on then I'll go that way. Plus it saves space and wear and tear on your older consoles.
Return to Old-School Gaming News