Sega saturn cracked

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Niode
Next-Gen

Sega saturn cracked

Post by Niode »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOyfZex7B3E

This nutter has reverse engineered the CD CPU stack in the Sega Saturn. This is huge as it means that we have more control over the system than ever before as we finally understand how the Saturn communicates between the CD drive and the rest of the system. Previously this was a complete black box with very little understanding in the community. Hopefully this opens the floodgates for homebrew. What makes this different to the Video Ram/memory expansion port hacks is this uses the VCD Card port and we have full control over the CD CPU unit which gives huge control over the way the system works, it was the gatekeeper.

Very exciting. I'm looking forward to the other things that this chap gets up to and hopefully he finalises his design. I'm going to get one asap and install a HDD in my Saturn. Can't wait.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Sega saturn cracked

Post by Anapan »

So Cool! I was gonna do the Rhea eventually, but this is even cooler!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

I remember when I got a mod chip from this very website. Now you can just flash the bios on a Sega Saturn memory card, and stuff like Rhea and this is underway. This is a very exciting time to be a Sega Saturn fan!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

^ Don't forget, someone also cracked the BIOS to make it region free.

What's up, Niode?

Where have you been? I haven't seen you around here in a while.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I just got a chance to watch the video. I'm stoked. So this will be a device that you can plug into the extension port on the back of the Saturn. No solder, no tools required. That's pretty neat. The other thing I'm stoked about is how simple the build it. It has very few components, and the PCB is not much bigger than a credit card, so I couldn't imagine this costing very much. He even mentioned selling a bare PCB version (as oppose to a PCB in a plastic case), which is a great way to keep cost down since some people will want to install this in their consoles and then forget about it (no plastic case is really needed if that's what you're doing).

I look forward to hearing more info about this.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Definitely exciting stuff.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I already have a Rhea (and absolutely love it), but would totally get one of these too if I get a chance. I have more than one Saturn system and there is only so much room on SD cards.

Too bad about no mpeg compatibility, but then few games utilized it (and Lunar has a standard version). The novelty woould have been worth it though.
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Man, this is awesome. I'd buy this day 1.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

Ziggy587 wrote:^ Don't forget, someone also cracked the BIOS to make it region free.

What's up, Niode?

Where have you been? I haven't seen you around here in a while.

Been busy. Super busy. I'll be back soon with some exciting stuff. I have some incredible things to share.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Does this guy have a website where he sold the gameboy flash cart? Assuming he'll post some updates at some point? Here's to hoping for 2017!

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5