Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Polymega/Retroblox: New 1080p "Clone" 2600 to PCE-CD to

by bmoc Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:38 pm

nightrnr wrote:Their reply to me about SATA SSD's is:
"Technically yes, but it depends on the drive since many / most SATA drives were released as B-Key, whereas Polymega is compatible with M-Key M.2 2280 drives."

https://mobile.twitter.com/polymegaHQ/s ... 2377551873

My SSD does fit both B and M keys.
I have to try it at the very least. It will be awesome if it works, but I won't be too upset if it doesn't.

I hope it does work for you. It will likely run cooler as you mentioned.

I got the Retrobit USB Saturn controller today. It works great and feels just like the real thing. When it is connected as controller 1, the button icons in the Polymega interface change appropriately which is a nice touch (and also probably why they are slow to support more controllers). I highly recommend getting the USB or 2.4ghz wireless one if you plan on playing a lot of Saturn games - especially if you are into fighters. If the Polymega supports the Bluetooth model in the future, I'm sure it will be good as well.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:16 pm

A new system update is dropping on Friday and it includes one of my wishlist items - 720p integer scaling! https://polymega.com/blogs/system-softw ... -1-preview

I've got around 350 games installed now. The only thing of note that I have to add after spending a few weeks with it is that I did end up switching to the official BIOS for PS1. I ran into some emulation issues. Wild Arms in particular had a problem progressing after a certain point a couple of hours into the game. I kinda like having the PS1 startup sound back so I don't mind at all.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:23 am

Fantastic news about the 720p scaling.

So how much storage are you using up so far? At 350 games, you've got to be at half of your 500GB SSD.

I imagine I will have to use the PS1 bios as well.
Do you use a 1001, 5501, or 7501 bios (or other?, not sure I'm even remembering them right).
I know I have a couple on a hard drive somewher (needed it for something).

I hear that systems for my batch are shipped to Polymega, just not arrived yet (hoping it's just weeks and not months).
I'm patient though, if only because my new home isn't ready for me to move much into it yet.

Hoping for Last Blade 2 compatibility. I understand that it's not working for everyone.
...just another lost soul...
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:15 am

Your guess is spot on. I'm using about half the storage. PS1 is my largest collection and its tendency for multi-disc games more than offsets the occasional sub-200MB disc based game. Most every disc I've installed has been in the 500-700MB range.

They updated the FAQ on Polymega a little while ago with better directions for the BIOS files. It says to use the 5500 series BIOS for PS1 (You need 3 files. One for each region). I don't know if that is a hard requirement. You might be able to use a different BIOS revision and rename the files to match what Polymega is looking for.

I hope you get yours soon! Do you know which container ship your unit is expected to be on?

I think I threw out my burned Last Blade 2 disc because I thought I had a bad ISO. Looks like that wasn't the case!
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:39 am

That's right, I WILL need the Japan bios too for a couple of my games.

Multidisc games will take up a lot for me too. Between Saturn, PS1 and even Sega CD, I've got quite a lot of them.

Trying to decide if I should put on multiple ports of the same game. Like if I have Street Fighter Collection for both PS1 and Saturn, should I bother installing both? If my 1TB SSD works, I doubt I'd fill it completely, but still would seem to be a waste doing both.

I'm almost certain that I'm in shipment #4 as I was one of the last preorders before they went official. So unless the module bundle orders get any priority (doubt it), I'll just have to wait.

Last Blade 2 might have issues even on my NeoSD Loader, which I still need to test (most of my stuff is in boxes right now). I really hope it gets working on something, as I don't want to resort to a NeoSD Pro. The PS2 collection port isn't terrible (just has muddy sound effects), but I'd rather have a perfect CD version. Still mad about the lazy and censored Dreamcast port (but mostly for no CD music).
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:18 am

Some sort of new hardware announcement is coming tomorrow around noon EST via Nintendolife. I'm pretty sure it will be a new module. N64 or Gameboy would be my guess.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:57 am

bmoc wrote:Some sort of new hardware announcement is coming tomorrow around noon EST via Nintendolife. I'm pretty sure it will be a new module. N64 or Gameboy would be my guess.

You're right! https://www.nintendolife.com/features/e ... 64-support
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:15 pm

No mention of a release date though. Honestly, given their history of completely missing release dates (even when there isn't a pandemic), I wouldn't expect a release date until the modules are on a boat headed to California. I'm actually kind of interested in this module. I don't have a N64 Everdrive so I own most of the games I want. The bundled Retrobit controller is attractive too especially since it can be used for analog Sega Saturn games as the article mentions.

I'm curious what the non-console modules are going to be. One will probably be the often requested controller port module for CD systems. I'd definitely get that if it materializes.

This is the first I've heard of original games by Playmaji. I shouldn't be too surprised since that will be a great way to make more money from their upcoming digital store.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:46 am

I won't get my hopes up but hope they keep their promise of the next batch of systems shipping within the next 2 months.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:08 am

Just got my tracking number emailed to me.
:D

Only 2 of the 4 modules are being sent (NES and PC engine). I'll have to wait for SNES and Genesis hijinks.

I will totally get the N64 module when it is available.

Can't wait to see if my 1TB SSD works. I've got no other use for it (and should hold my entire collection).
Hoping it ships with the latest firmware.
Return to Old-School Gaming News