Join in on our classic gaming club!
Limewater
Next-Gen

Re: Console of the Month (August 2022) - Sega Master System

by Limewater Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:16 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Wonder Boy

I’m curious about a few others. Have any of you spent time with Golvellius, Lord of the Sword, or Miracle Warriors?

I'm surprised Wonder Boy made your list. Wonder Boy / Adventure Island never clicked with me. It always struck me as a primitive platformer with obstacle/enemy placement specifically selected for cheap deaths. I find the sequels in both series to be much more playable.

I mentioned above, I have played Lord of the Sword. I probably got about a third of the way through it. It's not bad. I enjoyed the exploration and discovery aspects of it. Combat was clunky, and I recall I mostly just inched forward slowly and tried to kill things from a distance if at all possible. It's just way too long for a game without any sort of save or password system.

Jurassic Park on SNES has the same problem. I like Jurassic Park SNES, but I can't sit down and give it the three or four straight hours it would probably take to complete it.

Hungry Goriya on Youtube has a good review of Lord of the Sword, as well as a lot of other Master System games. I like her reviews a lot. She looks for things to enjoy about a game and is calm and relaxing.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:36 pm

Limewater wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Wonder Boy

I’m curious about a few others. Have any of you spent time with Golvellius, Lord of the Sword, or Miracle Warriors?

I'm surprised Wonder Boy made your list. Wonder Boy / Adventure Island never clicked with me. It always struck me as a primitive platformer with obstacle/enemy placement specifically selected for cheap deaths. I find the sequels in both series to be much more playable.

Give Wonder Boy another shot sometime. Although they’re ostensibly the same game, Wonder Boy on the SMS is not nearly as antagonistic as Adventure Island on the NES. I found it to be a fun, breezy platformer with solid graphics, music, and gameplay. Adventure Island, in contrast, is basically impossible and actively hates the player. (This is also true of the first two NES sequels.) :lol:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:26 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I’m curious about a few others. Have any of you spent time with Golvellius, Lord of the Sword, or Miracle Warriors?

Haven't played Lord of the Sword yet (saw it in a gaming shop just yesterday but the case was really beat so I passed).

Golvellius and Miracle Warriors originated on Japanese computers and are pretty old school.

Golvellius may look like Zelda but it has a much more rigid, regimented progression. The inclusion of side-scrolling segments is pretty cool.

Miracle Warriors was (originally) released in '86 before stereotypical DQ-style JRPG design was really codified. It's somewhat experimental but also slow and hard.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:52 pm

alienjesus wrote:The Brazilian stuff is interesting but mostly not worth the effort and cost to explore. Most of the games are either sprite swapped ports of other games (like Wonder Boy 3) or ports of Game Gear games back to Master System. The GG versions tend to be substantially cheaper.

I theoretically prefer games on the MS to the GG. The GG, bless its heart, was not a great handheld to lug around everywhere. I just like my games on a real TV, which is why most ports of NES/SNES games I won't get on a handhead either. So the Brazilian ports of GG games I actually like. I'm not familiar with a lot of them, though. Most still aren't worth getting, and of course a lot of them are downported from Genesis games, so why bother with the MS version when the Genesis is superior?

I'd love to know which ones are both unique from the Genesis and quality. Those are the ones I would want.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:43 pm

IMO, the SMS version of Castle of Illusion is better than the Genesis version. (Maybe this comment brings in the unpopular opinions thread…)
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:56 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:IMO, the SMS version of Castle of Illusion is better than the Genesis version. (Maybe this comment brings in the unpopular opinions thread…)

But does it best Genesis Castle of Illusion + oodles and oodles of nostalgia and memories tied to significant life events? I doubt that!

But seriously though, what makes the SMS version better in your opinion?
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:54 pm

I don't have it, but the SMS version of Ghouls N Ghosts is supposed to be the easiest game from that series by far. They give you a life bar!
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
opa
128-bit

by opa Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:49 am

Some of the titles I've enjoyed on the SMS:

Fantasy Zone (which, to this day, I still suck at)
Fantasy Zone The Maze
Reggie Jackson Baseball
Sonic the Hedgehog
Outrun
Hang-On

One other game I like is in the bios of the early machines. In case anyone forgot, many systems have games built-in to the memory that load if you don't put a cartridge in the system. My favorite of these is Snail Maze. Its just a quick little maze game where you're a snail racing against the clock.
Majors
128-bit

by Majors Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:54 pm

I had a SMS in '88 along with a NES. I really enjoyed R-type, Phantasy Star, Hang-On and Golden Axe (the beat'em-up, not the Zelda clone) back then. I sold off a lot of my library when the Turbografx and Genesis came out but in the past 5 years, I've been rebuilding my collection. Some games I've (re)discovered and enjoy are: Gain Ground, Enduro Racers, Rambo, Rampage, Rastan and Time Soldiers.

I really enjoy Rescue Mission for a light gun game.

I have also picked up a Mark III and found Solomans Key, Rygar and Aleste to be fun but the runaway hit has been Megumi Rescue using the paddle controller. I have been dipping my toe into the older SG-1000 games (Picar, Monaco GP and Star Jacket have been fun to play)

I do have the previously mention Power Base FM from db-elec to enjoy some of the enhanced audio on my SMS games b/c I haven't got a FM Sound Expansion for the Mark III yet.
Majors -=- Wedoca '22
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:37 am

I'm late to the party...

o.pwuaioc wrote:The console itself is unnecessary thanks to the Power Base Converter, or for those who care about sound chips, the Power Base Mini FM.

Or certain flash carts can play SMS ROMs on a Genesis. I think all of the modern Everdrives can load SMS games, but the X7 and Pro also support the YM2413 for FM sound!

I don't actually own a SMS console, but I have played a bit of SMS games via a Genesis with an Everdrive. It's not that I don't want the actual console, it's just that I have every other major console so it would be hard to fit one more into the setup. Still, I'd probably get one if I found one cheap enough.

marurun wrote:I confess I never really got on with the Master System. The audio felt too strident to me and while it could display pretty graphics it simply couldn’t handle smooth motion as cleanly as the NES. It felt like a system that had made the wrong compromises where the NES had made the right ones. And yet it does host some true classics. And I felt the hardware’s second life as the Game Gear was oddly more palatable.

The audio can be a bit shrill. I made a thread about it a while back. It really keeps me from enjoying some games that would otherwise be great. That said, there still are some great games for it! If you have the means, you should definitely check out a few games!

Limewater wrote:Jurassic Park on SNES has the same problem. I like Jurassic Park SNES, but I can't sit down and give it the three or four straight hours it would probably take to complete it.

Then check this out!

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6605/

There's more and more games getting SRAM hacks these days. For example, here's one hacker that has done a ton of them: https://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&authorid=5637

prfsnl_gmr wrote:IMO, the SMS version of Castle of Illusion is better than the Genesis version. (Maybe this comment brings in the unpopular opinions thread…)

It's definitely a solid 8-bit platformer. Although it's one of those games that has shrill audio keeping me from really enjoying it.

Has no one mentioned Master of Darkness!?

It's Sega's answer to Castlevania. It's very comparable to Castlevania, although I don't think it's as good, but it's still a solid 8-bit platformer. And the audio doesn't annoy me!
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Return to Together Retro