Console of the Month (Feb 2022): PlayStation 2

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Ack

Re: Console of the Month (Feb 2022): PlayStation 2

Post by Ack »

I have played Neo Geo Battle Coliseum. The reason I don't think it gets discussed is because it suffers from issues with slowdown when it gets going. I still enjoyed the game when I was putting time into it, and I appreciated seeing more obscure SNK characters in a fighter that aren't typically deemed worthy of the KOF franchise.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Black - OK, so I just gave this one another try. And holy shit, what a great game! My memory of it was that it was nothing special. But I guess I really was just burnt out on FPS at the time. It came out in 2006, I always associate the PS2 with high school but I guess this one came out later. Which may explain why it's such a fantastic looking/sounding/playing game. It supports 480p and widescreen, and it looks fantastic on my HDTV. I mean, I can see the PS2 jaggies going on. But after I get sucked into the game, I sort of lose focus on that. The sound effects are also fantastic. A lot of the levels have no music, which makes it a tad eerie at times. But when the music kicks in, it's usually fantastic. The game also plays and controls really nice as well. It doesn't feel like a PS2 game. I guess because it was right on the verge of the next generation. But even if it has a "next gen" feel to it, it still feels like an old school video game to me. There's health pickups, and you can shoot red barrels to make them blow up.

Castlevania Curse of Darkness - I'm going to try and give this one a little more time, but I don't know, I don't see myself finishing it. There seems to be a lot there. Like familiars, equipment and stats, etc. But the combat seems really bland. And the castle feels like it's big and empty. I know it's just the beginning on the game, but there's already these long corridors that take forever to traverse, and they're not really filled with much. SOTN from the start just sucks you right in with how awesome it is. But Curse of Darkness, I'm already at the third save room and I'm just thinking, "Meh." I was surprised to see that the main character is Hector, the forge master from the NetFlix series. Maybe I already knew that but forgot.

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness - This tactical RPG was originally a PS2 exclusive. Then later it was ported to DS and PSP. Then more recently it's been remaster for modern platforms. It seems like a massive game, but it's easy to get in to. As in, you don't have to dedicate a lot of time to "learn the game" before you can start enjoying it. It's easy to just pick up and play. And that's what I really liked about it. I sunk a few hours into this one, but never finished it. I don't think I even got all that far. I'd like to pick it back up at some point.

Ack already mentioned X-Files: Resist or Serve. Funny, that's another one I was going to bring up. I actually have talked about this game once before on these forums: http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=53057

Has anyone played The Thing? I always thought it looked cool, but I never got around to trying it.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Ziggy587 wrote:Black - OK, so I just gave this one another try. And holy shit, what a great game!

Glad you liked it! I remember feeling like it remained one of the best console exclusive FPS titles available even a couple of years into the PS3/360 generation...

Ziggy587 wrote:Has anyone played The Thing? I always thought it looked cool, but I never got around to trying it.

I have this and have wanted to get around to it, so will try to spend some time with it between now and the end of the month!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Funny story about The Thing. I had a somewhat strange friend that came over my house with this game. He didn't own a PS2, but he knew I did. I guess he thought the game looked cool, so he bought the it and played it at my house. He took it with him when he left, and never brought it back on future visits.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Weird about your friend and The Thing. I got the original Xbox version of that game not long after getting the console and for as much as I was excited, I never got far and found myself losing interest before long. I should give that game another try.

May as well share my PS2 shelves:
and a couple odd packages:

IMO it's a good enough sized collection (I might be missing a couple titles that got separated from the main collection but that's definitely most of them), but a lot of it's just Bemani games because I can't get enough of IIDX and DDR! I'm a little embarassed about the number of still-shrinkwrapped games I have with games like Rogue Galaxy and Disgaea 2 being in my collection for over a decade now. I've got to work on my backlog!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I really like looking at old saves on my PS2 memory card. Since the system has a RTC for the date and time, each save file on your memory card is time stamped with the last time it was updated. So I like to look at old saves and laugh at how long time has passed. For example, one of my oldest save files is Agent Under Fire. 11/6/03 at 11:44 PM lol. Thursday, a school night. I can clearly remember staying up very late on school nights, gaming and watching movies. Then I would be so incredibly tired in school the next day. But yeah, it's been something like 19 years since I've played Agent Under Fire. That's just crazy. The Sega Saturn had a RTC, and I always wished it date and time stamped the saves like the PS2 did. It's just nice to look back on.

dsheinem wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:Black - OK, so I just gave this one another try. And holy shit, what a great game!

Glad you liked it! I remember feeling like it remained one of the best console exclusive FPS titles available even a couple of years into the PS3/360 generation...

I just finished Black, and I really liked it. It has a very "next gen" feel to it, but it still has many staples of an old school FPS. There's so many things you can shoot and make explode. I tend to dislike when games are overly realistic. Blowing shit up left and right isn't very realistic, but it sure is fun. There's health pickups, but there's also a neat gimmick. If you get down to 1 bar of health, time sort of slows down and you can hear your heart beating. If you survive, you will regain 1 bar of health. It's kind of neat. There's different tears of enemies. Shotgunners have armor and are bullet sponges. If you get close to one, you're gonna loose a lot of health. They always drop health replenishment though. Then there's the dudes with shields, and they take a TON of hits to defeat unless you hit them with a grenade. Then there's dudes that launch RPGs at you. The last level, which is pretty long, culminates with all of these enemies hitting you up left and right. The last room of the game was pretty challenging. There's a cutscene at the start of each level, it tells the story. Honestly, I don't care about the story, I just want to get to the game play. You aren't able to skip the cutscenes, but they're at least entertaining with good voice acting.

I just hope that Black didn't raise the bar and ruin other FPS on the PS2 for me. :lol:

Nemoide wrote:May as well share my PS2 shelves:

Nice!

I love looking at everyone's pics of their collections in these threads. Hopefully we continue this trend for the rest of the months in the year.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

On the topic of PS2 memory cards, I do miss all the little icons that used to show up when you explored your memory card on consoles like the PS2. The Gamecube had them too. It's not really fitting with more modern sleek UI design but I found it charming when you went into the memory card menu and were faced with a wall of dancing characters and icons representing all of your saves

Not my image, but this is what I mean: