47%
Best Of The Best
13%

Total votes : 15
Markies
Next-Gen

Together Retro October 2021

by Markies Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:10 pm

It feels a little weird being the October guy as I'm not a big Horror game fan, but I will gladly fill in for the Month. I have one category that is appropriate for October and then three others that are fairly different. Hopefully, it will give you guys some options on games to play for this month.

You have one choice and the poll will be opened for 10 Days.

Make your pick count and Happy Gaming!!

Gothic Games: Now, as I mentioned, I don't like Horror Games. But, for October, I had to pick one category appropriate for the Month. So, for now, we are going with Gothic Games. Anything with a Spooky aesthetic would be perfect for this category, like the Castlevania Series would be great. Think of Non-M Rated Horror Games. No Blood spurting everywhere, but more of that unnerving feeling of dread.

Non-PC RTS Games: I will be playing GrimGrimoire for the PS2 soon. So, this category is for those console RTS games that are usually looked down upon. If you have any handheld RTS games, those also work as well. But, here is a good list to help you out: https://gyaanipedia.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_console_RTS_games

5th Generation Platformers: Another game I will be playing soon is Chameleon Twist on the N64. This got me thinking about Platformers for the 5th Generation. Platformers more than anything had a unique jump from 2D to 3D and the 5th Generation was the guinea pig for that transition. We had the Good and the Bad. So, for 5th Generation, we are talking about the 3DO, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1 and N64. Any platformer on those consoles would be perfect.

Best Of The Best: I will also be playing Breath of the Wild in the future. Currently, that game is ranked 14th on MetaCritic's site for the Greatest Video Games of All Time. So, why not we play or replay some of the highest ranked video games of all time?? There are 66 Games that have a MetaCritic score of 95% or above. So lets make that the cutoff. If this category wins, we can lower the percentage for more people if you would like. But, here is the list: https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/all/filtered
Last edited by Markies on Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro October 2021

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:52 pm

Only the best of the best will do!
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:06 pm

October is the SPOOKY SEASON and I know I want to play some Gothic games! Maybe I'll make a serious attempt at Castlevania II at long last. Or replay Symphony of the Night! **flaps cape**
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:32 pm

We need more games where you play as the Goths as they rampage through Europe.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:04 am

I'm betting on a dark horse of platformers to win, but I'll be fine either way!

Let's do some voting!!! Great categories, Markies ^w^
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:35 am

I'm bored of spooky season, so I voted for 5th gen platformers. I was very tempted to give console RTS my vote just to upset the PC crowd though :lol:

Depending on what wins though, some ideas of what i could play:

Gothic games:
I've got a few Castlevania games to play through - Castlevania II for NES, Castlevania II for Game Boy, and Portrait of Ruin on DS. I also have Demon's Crest for Super Nintendo that fits the bill. Pandora's Tower for Wii might work too!

I'm a little unsure whether Knights in the Nightmare on DS would count, or Gungnir on PSP? How about Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams? It has the spooks, but it's also pretty cutesy!

Console RTS:
I've been wanting to pick up Warlocked for GBC for quite a while, so that would be a fun option. I've also been keen to replay Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings which I remember really enjoying well over a decade ago when I first played it. Unfortunately my best options for this category were Command & Conquer: Red Alert and Herzog Zwei, both of which I finished in the last few months as part of my summer challenge!

5th Gen Platformers
I have Bomberman Hero, Mystical Ninja 2 and Rocket: Robot on Wheels for N64. I've also been tempted to pick up Space Station: Silicon Valley for the system too. I have Tomba and Sheep, Dog & Wolf ready to go on PS1. On Saturn my only option is Rayman currently.

Best of the best:
According to the list, I own 2 games that fit this category which I haven't already beaten, so those would be the msot likely candidates. Those games are LittleBigPlanet for PS3, and Metal Gear Solid V for PS4. I'd probably player the former as it's a little bit more 'retro' than MGSV is!
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:53 am

alienjesus wrote:Gothic games:
Pandora's Tower for Wii might work too!

I'm a little unsure whether Knights in the Nightmare on DS would count, or Gungnir on PSP? How about Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams? It has the spooks, but it's also pretty cutesy!

All of those games would fit perfectly.

Cutesy Spooks would absolutely fit Gothic Games.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:27 am

Less than two days away and we have a two way die.

Who knows? Maybe your vote will break that tie!!
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:56 pm

I voted for 5th Gen platformers because I have many to choose from if we were including GB/C. I didn’t read the descriptions :lol:

A couple of gothic games that come to mind: Bloodstained (obviously!) and Darkest Dungeon. DD has that whole gothic/dark ages thing going and is quite difficult if you are in need of a challenge.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:54 pm

Gucci wrote:I voted for 5th Gen platformers because I have many to choose from if we were including GB/C. I didn’t read the descriptions :lol:

We have our Deciding Vote!!

Everybody, we will be playing 5th Generation Platformers In October!
Return to Together Retro