Join in on our classic gaming club!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro September 2021: "Inferior" Ports

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:00 pm

You asked for it! Here’s my ranking of Double Dragon ports:

Double Dragon Advance (GBA) - This port is absolutely fantastic. Incorporating elements from Double Dragon II and Super Double Dragon, this GBA port is not only the best version of Double Dragon, but one of the very best beat ‘em ups.

Double Dragon (Arcade) - The arcade original is a stone-cold classic that remains fun to this day. Distinctive graphics and a rocking soundtrack combine with revolutionary gameplay to make for a great experience. Not available outside of arcades (or MAME emulation) for decades, this title is now widely available through Arcade Archives and the Double Dragon Trilogy.

Double Dragon (Sega Master System) - At first, I wasn’t a fan of this port due to some perceived input lag. I have come to appreciate it more than the NES port, however, after playing through it a few times. Despite looking a lot like the NES port, it plays more like the arcade game. It also lacks the painful platforming found in the NES version, and it allows two players to play the game simultaneously.

Double Dragon (NES) - This port is quite different from the arcade game. The graphics are, obviously, downgraded, but it still sounds great. Moreover, the game also has some intriguing light RPG elements, and you get new fighting techniques as you get a higher score. Although it generally tracks the arcade game, the levels are very different, however, and some platforming sections (especially in Level 3) really drag it down. Nonetheless, it is probably the most popular port, and I suspect more people have spent more time with this game than any version of Double Dragon.

Double Dragon (Genesis) - This is a relatively faithful port of the arcade game, looking almost identical to the arcade original. The sound is way off, though, and the gameplay is off too. It’s fine, but if you have access to the arcade original, there’s really no reason to play this version.

Double Dragon (Gameboy) - The Gameboy version is less a port of the arcade game than a port of the NES port. The monochrome graphics are fine, and it sounds OK for a Gameboy game. Like the NES port, some frustrating platforming sections really drag it down, however.

Double Dragon (7800) - A very downgraded port of the arcade original, the 7800 version of Double Dragon is a frustrating slog with atrocious hit detection. As far as I can tell, it mostly tracks yo the arcade game with regard to level design. I can’t get very far in it, however; so, I don’t know much about the later levels.

Double Dragon (2600) - It’s amazing Activision even tried porting this game yo the 2600. While it’s an interesting curio, it really just doesn’t work, both literally and figuratively. The hit detection is even more atrocious than the 7800 port, and the enemies will break you, making it one of the most lifelike beat ‘em ups on the market. (That is, as in life, if you try to fight two guys at the same time, you’re going to get your ass kicked, and it makes for a terrible time.)

I have not played the Lynx port, the various microcomputer/PC ports, or the iOS and XBLA remake. (The iOS and XBLA remakes have been delisted; so, I’m not sure I’ll ever get to play those, sadly.)
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:20 pm

I appreciate the run down, prfsnl! I'll have to track down that GBA port sometime -- it's cool that elements of Super Double Dragon were included. Even though Super Double Dragon gets mixed reviews, and the US release is bare bones due to the rush job, it's actually my favorite Double Dragon game. The blocking and charge up mechanics are unique for a beat em up, the graphics are good, the soundtrack is fantastic, and there are no platforming elements.

Also, good to see the Master System version ranks highly on your list. I've enjoyed what I've played of it so far and would consider picking it up in the future. The Genesis release is also a curiosity for me, as it was released by Accolade's sub-brand Ballistic, with one of those uncommon cardboard boxes and taller carts.
msimplay
64-bit

by msimplay Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:38 am

Note wrote:You bring up some good points, msimplay. Back in the day, there were ports I wasn't even aware existed. If I hadn't heard about it word of mouth, saw it in a store, or saw it in a gaming magazine, I probably missed it. In regards to Street Fighter Alpha 2, I had the PS1 port as that's the console I had access to at the time and I didn't even realize it was considered an inferior port until much later. I never had any issues with the gameplay, my only issue was that I didn't really care for the PS1 controller when it came to fighting games.

Yes the PS1 controller is not ideal for fighting games but it'll do in a pinch.
That said I am very comfortable now with the PS1 layout as essentially all modern controllers use an almost exact layout.
Also I feel it was the best design for the majority of games during the PS2 generation.

While I loved the Dreamcast I felt the controller to be a step back removing the 6 button layout and not adding shoulder button. I really missed the 2 buttons less.

Gamecube controller is loved by Gamecube / Smash Bros enthusiasts but during that generation I felt it suited Nintendo games and Nintendo would make good use of it but not multiplatform games. The analog was probably the most accurate of that generation but the layout I found to be awkward

The Xbox controller the DUKE was kinda fat and the S controller had a less than ideal layout especially the layout for the white and black buttons.

For me while the PS2 controller did lack analog triggers it plays best for most games in terms of a comfortable layout however all the buttons were analog for the games that used the analog buttons like Gran Turismo 4 I wasn't much into that.

Going onto the subject of inferior ports I think the PS2 versions were not always the best graphically but I do feel the controller made them more enjoyable than playing on other consoles just through the familiarity of the layout at least for me.
Then you have the sheer size of the library while the PS2 didn't always have the best port of a game for example Dreamcast ports it did have the largest library of that generation.
Return to Together Retro