36%
Fangames and Romhacks
14%

Total votes : 22
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Together Retro September 2021 Poll

by Gunstar Green Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:59 pm

Shareware Games: For a brief period the shareware model defined how most games were sold on the PC, particularly those from smaller developers unable to land a contract with the big publishing houses of the time. Any game sold through shareware distribution is acceptable. Bonus points for playing the actual shareware version!

Famicom Exclusives: The wild popularity of the Famicom in Japan means there are a lot of strange and wonderful gems to be dug up and enjoyed by western gamers. Or maybe you want to play some of the console's more bizarre and and obscure shovelware? I won't judge. This category is for games that just didn't make the leap to the NES for whatever reason.

"Inferior" Ports: When it comes to porting games to various systems there tends to always be a port that is considered the best of the bunch, especially when games are ported to platforms that are woefully underpowered and require some creative design solutions to pull off. Give some lesser-versions of games a shot and see if there are any redeeming features.

Fangames and Romhacks:
The worst thing about our favorite games is that they eventually end and we have to wait for developers to give us more. Or do we? Sometimes fans take it upon themselves to continue the legacy of a series, or just want to express their love by putting forth their own work.
marurun

Re: Together Retro September 2021 Poll

by marurun Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:27 pm

Oh shit, I love these categories. What to choose, what to choose…
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:54 pm

Good themes to choose from! Will also need to take some time to decide on what to vote for.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:10 pm

The choice is obvious. We’re playing the second-best version! (I feel that “inferior ports” should only win if it places second. :lol: )
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:01 am

Hmmm, not sure what I'll play if Famicom Exclusives doesn't end up winning. I'll have to rely on y'all for suggestions X3
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:47 am

Having a think about options I have for each category:

Shareware:
Yeah, I got nothing for this one. I'd have to go find something online I guess!

Famicom Exclusives:
I have Mappy Kids and Fire Emblem Gaiden both waiting to be played, but there's lots of other good options out there. Joy Mecha Fight is one I could replay perhaps too.

Inferior Ports:
Just about anything for 3DO would work I'd imagine. I have Star Fighter, Star Control 2, Samurai Shodown and Wing Commander III available. I have the Famicom version of Dragon Quest 2 which is definitely the worst version, but it's also not actually a port so not sure if it counts? I have the Neo Geo Pocket version of The Last Blade which is kind of a port but kinda it's own thing, so not sure if that counts either. Other options: Outrun 2006 for PSP, Dragon's Crown & Ys Origins for Vita, Minecraft for Wii U and Ivy the Kiwi?, Rayman Origins & Sonic Unleashed for Wii. Some those may be a bit too new though!

Fangames & Romhacks:
I have a whole bunch of these saved on my N64 everdrive. The Smash Bros and Banjo Kazooie romhacks are especially good, and I've also been looking for an excuse to give the Majora's Massk randomiser a try after already playing the Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past ones a few times now.

I went with Famicom & Inferior Ports, but there's a lot of good options here!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:25 am

I am so pumped for inferior ports. I can’t think of a topic more suited to my interests. Here’re some games I am considering if that topic wins next month:

Bionic Commando (GB) - monochrome port of NES classic
Donkey Kong Country (GBC) —> 8-bit color port of Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Land II (GB) —> 8-bit monochrome port of Donkey Kong Country II
Donkey Kong Land III (GB) —> 8-bit monochrome port of Donkey Kong Country III
Mega Man: The Wily Wars (GEN) —> slippery ports of the first three Mega Man games
Metal Gear (NES) —> console port of MSX original (that may not be inferior…)
Ninja Gaiden (TG-16) —> port of NES classic
Ninja Gaiden II (DOS) —> port of the best NES NG game
Streets of Rage (GG/SMS) —> distinct 8-bit ports of Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage II (GG/SMS) —> distinct 8-bit ports of Streets of Rage II

I think this topic would include every arcade game ported to the 2600, and almost every arcade or PC game ported to the GEN, NES, and SNES. I think it would also include a lot of console action platformers ported to PCs, and I think it would include most games ported to 8-bit handhelds.

This is just a really, really broad category that gives me an excuse to play through slightly different versions of some of my favorite games and see how they compare to the classics. Moreover, these sorts of ports surprise me from time-to-time, and some ports I thought would be inferior I’ve ended up enjoying more than the supposedly superior original.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:14 pm

Inferior Ports takes the win. Get ready to play some games that you could be playing a better version of but aren't because you're a weird retro gamer who's interested in that sort of thing!

Some games I might take a look at if I have the time:

Raiden Trad on SNES
Sunset Riders on Genesis
Quake 2 on Playstation
Famicom/NES arcade ports
Gameboy ports
Master System ports
Doom/Doom II on GBA
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:50 pm

I just ordered a copy of Streets of Rage for Game Gear from ebay 8)
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:44 am

Gunstar Green wrote:Inferior Ports takes the win. Get ready to play some games that you could be playing a better version of but aren't because you're a weird retro gamer who's interested in that sort of thing!

This! :lol:

I actually really enjoy exploring different ports of the same game. Nowadays, a game is basically the same across all platforms. Back in the ‘80s and ‘90s, though, the same game could be radically different on the NES, Gameboy, Genesis, etc. In my opinion, it’s really fun exploring these variants to see what things they get right (and, sometimes, what things they get so, so wrong). Sometimes, I end up enjoying an “inferior” port more than the original game.

I’ll be exploring the games I listed above, but I’m really interested in what everyone else is playing. I also hope that some of our younger members will try out some of the heavily censored SNES ports, such as Mortal Kombat and Wolfenstein 3D, so they can see what some of us had to put up with as teenagers!
Return to Together Retro