Join in on our classic gaming club!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro August 2021 - Twenty Years of the Gamecub

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:17 pm

Episode III is decent and worth a shot.

But yeah, every post-PSO (ep 1&2) experience is inferior to PSO. Episode IV isn't exactly stellar either.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:33 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Episode III is decent and worth a shot.

But yeah, every post-PSO (ep 1&2) experience is inferior to PSO. Episode IV isn't exactly stellar either.

Reading about the card based battle system has me grimacing, but maybe if I come across a copy on the cheap, I'll give it a shot. Not certain why Sega took the series in this direction to begin with, seems so odd to transition from an action RPG to a card based game, but it's Sega.

I was curious about Blue Burst / Episode IV but I never put in the effort to attempt to get it running on my Mac at the time. What're your issues with that game in comparison to the others?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:00 pm

Blue Burst is really fun holistically, as it contains episodes I and II, but IV is a bit of letdown.

There are only a couple of dungeons. As I recall, one doesn't even have a boss.

It's also a huge slog. The enemies are bullet sponges to the extreme and the dungeons are HUGE. Like, set aside a whole evening to complete each one. Also, the "hub" is the same one recycled from episode I -- not a big deal but it feels lazy.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:26 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Blue Burst is really fun holistically, as it contains episodes I and II, but IV is a bit of letdown.

There are only a couple of dungeons. As I recall, one doesn't even have a boss.

It's also a huge slog. The enemies are bullet sponges to the extreme and the dungeons are HUGE. Like, set aside a whole evening to complete each one. Also, the "hub" is the same one recycled from episode I -- not a big deal but it feels lazy.

That's too bad the design of the dungeons and enemies in Episode IV are off. The first game was so good, wish Sega stuck to the formula that made that entry successful.

Just curious, do you still have a GC with a broadband adapter?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:43 am

Never had the broadband adapter. The only PSO I've ever played "online" was Blue Burst on PC.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:20 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Never had the broadband adapter. The only PSO I've ever played "online" was Blue Burst on PC.

Got'cha, I'd like to get a few people together to play online using one of the private servers.

If anyone's interested, drop me a line!
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:30 pm

As the month comes to an end, I just want to say thanks to everyone who voted and participated in this month's Together Retro. I hope everybody was able to revisit some of their favorites on the Gamecube or explore titles that were a new experience.

I'm still in the middle of my games and I'm sure others are too, so please feel free to continue to post progress updates in the thread!
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:12 pm

I haven't beaten Geist yet but I'm definitely planning on continuing the game and seeing it to the end!
There are a few aspects to the game that have aged a bit poorly (eg a segment where you can possess a woman taking a shower and it feels gratuitous) but overall is a really fun game that's as close to a hidden gem as it seems you can get for Gamecube these days. It's wild to me that I just about never hear anyone talk about this first-party Nintendo game. The game has flaws, but they add to what make the game more interesting!

I appreciate having this theme to encourage me to finally play it!
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:25 pm

I'm glad you took the month to dive into Geist. I was unfamiliar with the game, so I appreciate you discussing it in the thread and bringing it to my attention. It's something I'm interested in checking out and will probably pick-up if I come across it.

I was able to binge a good amount of hours into Luigi's Mansion today and I ended up finishing the game! The third boss Boolossus was a bit tricky, as it was tough to freeze that final boo that's roaming around after you catch all the others. Also, the final boss took me a few attempts as well but I finally was able to defeat it. In regards to collecting all the boos, I got 49/50. I took about two hours to scour the mansion for that final one, and I checked the sealed room and one of the hidden rooms, but couldn't find it -- not sure where that last one was hiding.

The game had a pretty awesome ending, I'm glad I finally put the time into it. I'd really like to play the sequel on the Switch now, and the fact that it has some co-op mechanics makes it even more enticing, as I think it's something my partner and I would enjoy together.
Return to Together Retro