Join in on our classic gaming club!
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro August 2021 - Twenty Years of the Gamecub

by Nemoide Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:10 pm

I think this month is a good excuse to play one of the system exclusives I've owned for many years: GEIST!
It's the one of those rare M-rated games published by Nintendo; I'm under the impression that it's sort of an FPS with heavy puzzle-solving elements. It got mixed reviews when it came out and always sounded strange, but I think I'll have to play it myself to get an actual handle on it!

I'd also like to beat Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg. When it came out, I was a loyal Sonic Team fan and it was the first game of theirs I actually gave up on before seeing the ending. I'm not sure how far I got exactly, but I remember one level giving me a lot of trouble. But maybe a fresh start would help!
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:47 pm

Note wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:I played through Mega Man X Command Mission these past few days~
It's a really surprisingly good game! Not a perfect game, but far far better than a Mega Man X RPG ever could've been expected to be. A really fun time on my GameCube :D

I think next I might play Metroid Prime, or possibly Far East of Eden 2. Decisions decisions~

That's awesome you finished Mega Man X Command Mission! Just curious, about how many hours did it take to finish the game?

Let us know what you decide to play next!

It took me about 26 hours to do just about all the content in the main game (I'm not sure if I'll try out the very hard post-game dungeon, tbh).

Next up might also possibly be Pikmin 1 and/or 2. They have each for 1000 yen a piece at the resale mall and I can feel them calling me to replay them XD

They also have a copy of Forgotten Kingdoms out there too (or "Rune", as it's called here), and even though it's a bit more than Pikmin price-wise, I'm considering picking that up as well. It's one I've been meaning to give a try for aaaages~.

Nemoide wrote:I'd also like to beat Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg. When it came out, I was a loyal Sonic Team fan and it was the first game of theirs I actually gave up on before seeing the ending. I'm not sure how far I got exactly, but I remember one level giving me a lot of trouble. But maybe a fresh start would help!

Oooo, good luck! I beat that earlier this year and it's a tough one but a fun one~. Definitely one of the harder post-Saturn Sonic Team games, as far as the ones I've played go :O
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
opa
128-bit

by opa Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:09 am

Geist rocks. I always wanted to play the multi-player but no one really played GameCube back in the day. At least, not the people I knew.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:54 am

I went out shopping today and got myself Pikmin 1! Sadly, someone else had bought Pikmin 2 since the last time I was there, but at least I got the first one~.

I also nabbed Four Swords Adventures for 300 whole yennies (who could say no at that price?), and Bomberman Jetters! I've never played Jetters before, save for a little tiny bit at a friend's house when I was little, but I'm excited for more Bomberman adventure game silliness~ X3
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:07 pm

Nemoide wrote:I think this month is a good excuse to play one of the system exclusives I've owned for many years: GEIST!
It's the one of those rare M-rated games published by Nintendo; I'm under the impression that it's sort of an FPS with heavy puzzle-solving elements. It got mixed reviews when it came out and always sounded strange, but I think I'll have to play it myself to get an actual handle on it!

I'd also like to beat Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg. When it came out, I was a loyal Sonic Team fan and it was the first game of theirs I actually gave up on before seeing the ending. I'm not sure how far I got exactly, but I remember one level giving me a lot of trouble. But maybe a fresh start would help!

I have to admit I wasn't familiar with Geist, but it looks like an awesome game! Keep us posted on your experience with it, I'm looking forward to hearing about it.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:08 pm

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I went out shopping today and got myself Pikmin 1! Sadly, someone else had bought Pikmin 2 since the last time I was there, but at least I got the first one~.

I also nabbed Four Swords Adventures for 300 whole yennies (who could say no at that price?), and Bomberman Jetters! I've never played Jetters before, save for a little tiny bit at a friend's house when I was little, but I'm excited for more Bomberman adventure game silliness~ X3

Nice pick-ups, Pidge! I'm glad you were able to find some additional games that fit with this month's theme.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:12 pm

I started playing Luigi's Mansion last night! I'm still getting used to the controls, but I'm getting there -- the inverted controls for the vacuum keep throwing me off. Lol. Anyway, I'm up to Area 2 and have completed a few rooms in that section. But I must have missed a switch or a key, as I ended up stuck and unable to open any doors to continue on.

I'll need to backtrack this evening and see if I can find what I missed.

Just curious, has anyone else played or finished this game? I'm having a good time with it so far.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:17 pm

I wish I had a copy of Starfox Assault. I've always wanted to try that and it would be perfect for this Together Retro

I know it's cheating, but it would be funny if people played some GBA games on the Gamecube player for this together retro :lol:

For some people, that's basically what the Gamecube is, their Game Boy Advance console
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:12 am

@Note - Oooo! Luigi's Mansion is a really fun one! I hope you have fun (and can find that pesky key you're missing) :D

@Raging Justice - Starfox Assault is really fun! At least I thought so when I played through it a few years ago. The on-foot sections are pretty bleh, but the space shooting stuff is awesome~.

---

I finished Pikmin today! I'd forgotten just how short it was ^^;. I already have a review written for the Wii version from a couple years back, so I'm not sure I'll do a whole new write up for it in the Beaten thread when I get to that. If I did, I think at this point it'd be damn near only to complain about how annoying it is when the Pikmin trip and you gotta wait for them to get up so they don't get left behind (I care about the little buggers, but my gosh can they be aggravating to keep alive XP).

I'm also still very in the mood for more Pikmin, so I'm trying to get the sequel on Yahoo Auctions. If I'm lucky, I might even nab a copy that comes with the e-Reader cards! Crossing my fingers that I can win one like that~ ^w^. Another reason I really hope I can get a copy of that soon is that it totally slipped my mind that a bunch of the treasures in it would be different! Due to different brands and products between regions, apparently Pikmin 2 has a bunch of different stuff to collect for your mission depending on what region's version you have, so I'm jazzed to see that stuff in a form that isn't PNGs on tcrf.net :lol:

I also tried out a bit of Four Swords Adventures again today. Dang, it is so wild how much of a weird Frankenstein's monster of LTTP, Wind Waker, and the original Four Swords that thing is. A little bit like Triforce Heroes does, it almost feels like the world's most ambitious ROM-hack in certain ways :lol: . Still very fun though~
opa
128-bit

by opa Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:29 am

How many in-game days did it take you to finish pikmin? And did you get all ship parts?
I think my fastest time is 19 days, iirc.
Return to Together Retro