Join in on our classic gaming club!
Note
Next-Gen

Together Retro August 2021 - Twenty Years of the Gamecube!

by Note Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:13 pm

Hello Racketboy community! For August’s Together Retro we will be revisiting Nintendo’s home console originally released in 2001 … the Gamecube! While I feel like this console was underrated around the time of release, time seems to have been good to the Gamecube and it’s built up quite a following over the years. There are a ton of great games to play for this month’s theme, and while this is not an extensive list whatsoever, I’ve listed some memorable games for the system below.

Super Mario Sunshine
Luigi’s Mansion
Metroid Prime
Pikmin
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Wario World
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Animal Crossing
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Tales of Symphonia
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Star Fox Adventures
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Chibi-Robo
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
Eternal Darkness
Resident Evil 4
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
Viewtiful Joe

Also, feel free to reference the Racketboy’s guide to Games that Defined the Gamecube as well as the guide to Gamecube’s best undiscovered games.

For this month, I'll be playing through Luigi’s Mansion first. Once I complete that game, I'll move on to either Super Mario Sunshine or Metroid Prime. Look forward to hearing what games you all will be checking out this month, your memories of the system, and the progress made in your chosen games!

What's everyone plan on playing this month?

Let's dust off our Gamecubes, get accustomed to this comfortable controller again, and enjoy the what the system has to offer for the month of August!
Gucci
64-bit

Re: Together Retro August 2021 - Twenty Years of the Gamecub

by Gucci Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:41 pm

I play PSO on the Dolphins emulator on my Nvidia Shield TV very often. It’s honestly the only game where I spent an extreme amount of time in when growing up. I’ve played and owned a slew of GC games, but PSO has a special place in my heart. Even the card battling game. And those two games run very well on the Shield.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:10 pm

That's awesome you still play PSO, Gucci. In regards to the Dolphins emulator, do you connect to the private servers and play online, or do you play the single player game?

I'm a huge fan of PSO on the system too, and also spent a ton of time playing the game when originally released. I went all out with the GC broadband adapter and the ASCII keyboard. Lol.

Would enjoy firing it up again and connecting to one of the private servers. Maybe later in the month, I can try to do that as well.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:14 pm

I generally just do single player. I don't know if the Shield version is capable of online play. I heard that the only way to play the GC version is having original hardware with either of the two internet adapters, but not necessarily the original game. Something about the game being coded to look for either adapter and if not found, you can’t proceed to connect.

It’s been a decade since I looked into stuff like that so my data might be, well, outdated.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:47 pm

Gucci wrote:I generally just do single player. I don't know if the Shield version is capable of online play. I heard that the only way to play the GC version is having original hardware with either of the two internet adapters, but not necessarily the original game. Something about the game being coded to look for either adapter and if not found, you can’t proceed to connect.

It’s been a decade since I looked into stuff like that so my data might be, well, outdated.

Got'cha, I haven't played the game in single player much. Back when I was really into it, I would play online on the official servers. However, someone contacted me recently with the info for one of the private servers that are still up, but they didn't mention anything about using a different disc. Only way for me to find out is to give it a test later in the month.

I'd really enjoy getting a few people together to play on it, but I think it'll be tough considering people need the official hardware and adapter as you mentioned. Luckily, I still have my console, adapter, and keyboard from all those years ago.

Love the atmosphere of PSO though, the sci-fi theme's awesome and the soundtrack is amazing.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:22 am

I played through Mega Man X Command Mission these past few days~
It's a really surprisingly good game! Not a perfect game, but far far better than a Mega Man X RPG ever could've been expected to be. A really fun time on my GameCube :D

I think next I might play Metroid Prime, or possibly Far East of Eden 2. Decisions decisions~
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:58 am

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I played through Mega Man X Command Mission these past few days~
It's a really surprisingly good game! Not a perfect game, but far far better than a Mega Man X RPG ever could've been expected to be. A really fun time on my GameCube :D

I think next I might play Metroid Prime, or possibly Far East of Eden 2. Decisions decisions~

That's awesome you finished Mega Man X Command Mission! Just curious, about how many hours did it take to finish the game?

Let us know what you decide to play next!
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:14 pm

I have Batman Vengeance on the GameCube. It was ported to all systems at the time, but I think I will play it this month... unless we are encouraged to only play NGC exclusive games then I will give Super Marion Sunshine a go (I have never played it).
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:55 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:I have Batman Vengeance on the GameCube. It was ported to all systems at the time, but I think I will play it this month... unless we are encouraged to only play NGC exclusive games then I will give Super Marion Sunshine a go (I have never played it).

Just to clarify, exclusives aren't necessary! Feel free to play Batman Vengeance, SB.

I might also play Sunshine later in the month, so would be cool to get some opinions on that as I recall the game getting mixed reactions from fans when released, since it's different than most of the games in the franchise.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:56 pm

Note wrote:
SpaceBooger wrote:I have Batman Vengeance on the GameCube. It was ported to all systems at the time, but I think I will play it this month... unless we are encouraged to only play NGC exclusive games then I will give Super Marion Sunshine a go (I have never played it).

Just to clarify, exclusives aren't necessary! Feel free to play Batman Vengeance, SB.

I might also play Sunshine later in the month, so would be cool to get some opinions on that as I recall the game getting mixed reactions from fans when released, since it's different than most of the games in the franchise.

If you do play that, let me know. It will be more fun to play and discuss together.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Return to Together Retro