47%
Gotta Go Fast!
20%

Total votes : 15
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Together Retro July 2021 poll

by Nemoide Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:19 pm

The original July planner has vanished from the forum so I'm stepping up to bat!
For me, the summer heat makes it the ideal time to play handhelds, so I've got two options for that!

Playing with Power: Portable Power! (monochrome Game Boy) - I feel like almost everyone has some experience with the Game Boy released in 1989 but then EXPLODED in 1998 with the release of Pokemon and the Game Boy Color in the US. But I know for myself and some others, the monochrome era games are largely mysterious and unknown. Sure, you might know Super Mario Land or Kirby's Dream Land, but have you played Heiankyo Alien or Daedalian Opus? Give yourself a chance to explore the vast but oft-neglected world of old school monochrome Game Boy! What hardware you play it on is up to you: the original GB is kind of rough with its blurry green screen, so folks are definitely welcome to play on a GB Color, Advance, Super Game Boy, or even emulating on a PC. But those black cartridge "Game Boy Color enhanced" games are OUT! Monochrome only!

I'm Not Boy (non-Game Boy handhelds prior to 2004) - The Game Boy was by FAR the most successful handheld in the 90s, but that doesn't mean the other handhelds don't deserve love! This category is for playing Atari Lynx, Sega Game Gear, Bandai Wonderswan, or Neo Geo Pocket Color! You could even play Tiger Game.Com or Nokia N-Gage if you really wanted to. As long as you're playing on a handheld released prior to the Sony PSP or Nintendo DS, it's fair game!

Alms for the Poor (games that go for less than $15 each) - The awkward sibling of this months theme, lets play games that can be found on the cheap! I figure $15 cart/disc only games using ebay prices is a good metric ($20 might be allowed but lets not go beyond that). There are still some hidden gems out there and even mediocre games can be fun! Since retro game costs have EXPLODED in the past year and a half, this is a good way to focus on games whose prices haven't risen too much and are still totally affordable. You don't have to be playing on a physical copy but the price has to be linked to the cost of a physical game! So you can't play Silent Hill and say it's only $10 on PSN.

Gotta Go Fast! (Sonic the Hedgehog from pre-2002) - We've all played the Sonic games right? But if you're like me, it's been many years! This choice might not shrink your backlog, but it could be fun to revisit the classic era games! I'll count the Sonic Adventure games as being classics but if we go more recent, I feel like there are just too many games with too much variety. You don't have to play games in the main series though: Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic R, and Sonic Pocket Adventure are all legit choices!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro July 2021 poll

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:33 pm

Alms for the poor! Alms for the poor!
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:17 pm

Alms seems like the perfect follow up to this month's theme :lol:
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:49 am

Thank you so much for taking this month, Nemoide~

Alms for the poor is such a great theme! I'm all in~ ^w^
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:04 pm

Great themes to choose from! I also voted for Alms, as I thought it would be a nice contrast to the theme we're currently playing through. It might be a challenge to find fun games that stayed cheap, as prices have went up so much the past few years.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:47 pm

It looks like Alms for the Poor is officially the winner!
Even though the retro market has gone crazy, there are still deals to be had and this month is all about finding them! You might have some low-value games in your collection already but it might be fun to venture out to a retro game shop and pick up something you've never heard of before! Some systems that still have a lot of cheap games: Game Boy, Game Gear, Xbox, and PS2. There are even some bonafide classics that can be had for almost nothing, like Final Fantasy IX which you can still find brand new through Square-Enix for less than $15.

Just check ebay before you pick something, I know I've been totally gobsmacked looking up certain things for this month thinking they might be good picks and finding out that they are EMPHATICALLY NOT.

I do want to say that I'm a little disappointed that not a single vote went to the obscure Neo Geo Pocket Color reference category.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:10 am

I guess this might've been a good question to ask earlier, but should we just be considering our local currencies? There are a *lot* of games I can get for way way cheaper than y'all can outside of Japan, is all ^^;
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:03 am

Nemoide wrote:It looks like Alms for the Poor is officially the winner!
Even though the retro market has gone crazy, there are still deals to be had and this month is all about finding them! You might have some low-value games in your collection already but it might be fun to venture out to a retro game shop and pick up something you've never heard of before! Some systems that still have a lot of cheap games: Game Boy, Game Gear, Xbox, and PS2. There are even some bonafide classics that can be had for almost nothing, like Final Fantasy IX which you can still find brand new through Square-Enix for less than $15.

Just check ebay before you pick something, I know I've been totally gobsmacked looking up certain things for this month thinking they might be good picks and finding out that they are EMPHATICALLY NOT.

I do want to say that I'm a little disappointed that not a single vote went to the obscure Neo Geo Pocket Color reference category.

If I had 2 votes I totally would've voted for NGPC and Game Gear stuff. But my vote this time went to classic Game Boy :lol:

Echoing pidge's statement - I guess I need to decide what a reasonable price threshold is for the alms category in the UK. £10 feels about right as a price conversion, although it's rare for games that arent PS2 sports titles to go for less than that these days!

Maybe I'll head to my local cex and see what I can buy for under £10 and choose one
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:57 am

I feel like if you want to plug $15 USD into a currency converter and get something that costs less in your local currency, that's totally fine, but if that's too much of a challenge and the *only* games you can find in the UK are FIFA 06 or a Dizzy game for the Spectrum, pushing it to $20 isn't really a problem. It'll be interesting to see the differences in retro game markets in other countries! I know PartridgeSenpai will have an embarrassment of riches with their options, especially for PS1 games. If you want to challenge yourself and try to find a game that's less than ¥500, that could be a fun "hard mode" way of doing it but I don't want anyone to feel too constrained.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:47 pm

Nemoide wrote:I feel like if you want to plug $15 USD into a currency converter and get something that costs less in your local currency, that's totally fine, but if that's too much of a challenge and the *only* games you can find in the UK are FIFA 06 or a Dizzy game for the Spectrum, pushing it to $20 isn't really a problem. It'll be interesting to see the differences in retro game markets in other countries! I know PartridgeSenpai will have an embarrassment of riches with their options, especially for PS1 games. If you want to challenge yourself and try to find a game that's less than ¥500, that could be a fun "hard mode" way of doing it but I don't want anyone to feel too constrained.

I was exaggerating a little - I'm sure I can find some options for under £10. A straight currency conversion gives me £10.83, although UK prices include 20% tax if I buy from a shop, so in reality it's not quite that simple to convert. £10 is totally doable though - I might ignore postage costs if I go the eBay route though :lol:
Return to Together Retro