Join in on our classic gaming club!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Together Retro June 2021 - Too Rich For My Blood

by alienjesus Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:39 pm

Hi all,

Sorry the post is up late.

This month's Together Retro has us looking at expensive games - ideally games where the physical release is no longer within a reasonable price range. Think games that are 3 digits or higher for a copy. Let's take a look and see how good these games actually are.

The key part of the theme is to take a look at games that we can't really afford and see what we think they would be worth, so I encourage people to fire up emulators and everdrives if you can. However, if you want to go with something more...ethical, then feel free to use digital versions of expensive games (like Tron Bonne on PSN) or games you bought a long time ago which are massively expensive now.

Let me know what you're playing, and let's despair that the days of thrift shop deals and bargain ebay scores are long behind us together.
MrPopo

Re: Together Retro June 2021 - Too Rich For My Blood

by MrPopo Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:38 pm

I'm finally getting around to doing PDS this month. I got it way back in the day when it was $300, got partway through, discovered one of my disks had a bit of its foil damaged, had to get a replacement disk, but by then I was off the train. Started last night and got through disk one in under two hours, which tells me that it must have been disk two that I died on (it was right on the end cutscene of the disk). Something I've noticed is the game does almost all of its story stuff in long prerendered cutscenes, so that's why it's on four disks for something apparently so short.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:13 am

I wish I hadn't played Xenosaga III earlier this year because it would have fit perfectly.

I do have Ogre Battle 64 to play through, but I don't think I'm going to get that one this month...
Ack

by Ack Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:40 am

I guess this means I need to play my copy of Hagane...
Syndicate
32-bit

by Syndicate Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:00 pm

...I'm going going to be working on some shmups, I guess most notably MUSHA, Gaiares, Elemental Master, and Lightening Force/Thunder Force IV. I fully expect to get wrecked :lol:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:43 pm

My entire game collection is $1 Atari carts so I'm out. :|
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:06 pm

Finished PDS after 12 hours. Pretty disappointing overall; it's unique but it's shallow.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:53 pm

playing Terminator on the sega cd to start off with as it shouldn't take long. made it to the last level. I've never really spent much time on it, but it's fun and love the 80's rock/retrowave soundtrack. I wasted a few lives I shouldn't have on the rooftops and that dam helicopter. 3 digits, like 100, doesn't seem to rich for this hobby anymore lol. I didn't realize this game seems to have doubled since I last checked.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:56 pm

I'm moving on to Magic Knight Rayearth. I'm still only about an hour in but I am concerned the weapon ranges are a bit short for how well you move, which could prove to be a problem later on.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:01 pm

The two games I'm going to focus on this month are Chrono Trigger and Radiant Silvergun. I played a lot of arcade and action games this year, so it'll be nice to change gears and get into a RPG.

Today, I clocked in about five hours on Chrono Trigger. I gave Frog the repaired Masamune sword and have gone through most of the Magus Lair. I just reached the save point before the boss battle. Hope to clock in a few more hours tomorrow evening.
Return to Together Retro