Join in on our classic gaming club!

Which 2nd place Together Retro theme should we play in June?

Poll ended at Wed May 19, 2021 7:09 pm

Experiments in the HAL Laboratory
19%
Final What? Dragon Who?
26%
Too Rich For My Blood
44%
A Boy And His Post-Apocalypse
11%

Total votes : 27
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Together Retro June 2021 Poll - Best of the rest!

by alienjesus Wed May 12, 2021 7:09 pm

Hi all,

It's time to plan a Together Retro theme for June, and this time, we'll be having a vote between the 2nd place options from February through to May. Here's the options, as described in the original threads:

Experiments in the HAL Laboratory
While HAL Laboratory and Nintendo were always close, they became much closer when Nintendo rescued HAL from bankruptcy in 1993. Before then, HAL was much more independent, developing games for other companies, publishing its own games more frequently, and even publishing games created by other developers. If this category wins, we’ll play games developed or published by HAL Laboratory before 1993.

Examples include: Adventures of LoLo, Air Fortress, Arcana, Day Dreamin’ Davey, Kabuki: Quantum Fighter, Joust (NES), Kirby’s Dream Land, NCAA Basketball, Revenge of the Gator, Trax, Vegas Dream, etc.

Final What? Dragon Who?

Everyone knows Square Enix has their two big franchises: Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. But what about the lesser appreciated names that Squenix has brought into the world, even before their merger? This category is all about diving into RPGs from Square, Enix, or Square Enix that fall outside of the realm of their two biggest franchises. While this DOES mean that spin-offs aren't allowed (no Dragon Quest Monsters), what is allowed are things like Final Fantasy Adventure or Final Fantasy Legends, where they weren't REALLY a part of the series, and they just had their titles changed to make them sell better in the West.

Possible Entries
- SaGa series
- Seiken Densetsu series
- Star Ocean
- Valkyrie Profile

Too Rich For My Blood

Those of us who have been collecting a long time may remember the glory days when even rarer games could be had for pittance. Those days are long gone, and there's probably some games that are well out of your price range now - there certainly are for me. The fact is, if I ever want to play some of these games I'll need to accept that I may need to resort to other means to play them. Fire up your everdrives, and let's play the games that you're never going to pay for together. Think any game that costs at least 3 figures for starters...

Possible games:
Magical Chase, Shantae, Psychic Killer Taromaru, Sylpheed, Bomberman 64: The Second Attack, MUSHA, Radiant Silvergun, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Hagane, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, Little Samson, Mr. Gimmick, Trip World, Alien Solder, Mega Man: The Wily Wars, Power Strike 2, Cubivore and many, many more...

A BOY AND HIS POST-APOCALYPSE

"The apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
- Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

This category is set around a thematic element: video games set during and after an apocalyptic event has disrupted human civilization. Humanity is sent back to barbarism, usually in a world depleted of natural resources and rendered largely barren. When playing these games, it's important to focus on how these worlds were formed. Was it nuclear war? A zombie plague? Demons? How does one setting differ from another, and how do all emphasize the difficulty in the day to day struggle of simply staying alive? What sorts of threats now face humanity that did not exist before? The approach can be varied, but the quest to continue living is ever present.

SUGGESTED GAMES: Wasteland, Fallout, Metro 2033, DOOM II: Hell on Earth, Abomination, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, RAGE, Left 4 Dead, RoboCop Versus The Terminator, Crystalis, Dead Rising, Gears of War, Fragile Dreams, Terranigma, KKnD, Mad Max (NES), Nier, Silhouette Mirage

All great options, happy voting!
Last edited by alienjesus on Fri May 14, 2021 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro June 2021 Poll - Best of the rest!

by prfsnl_gmr Wed May 12, 2021 9:55 pm

Voted! Thanks for putting this together, AJ!
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Thu May 13, 2021 4:02 am

Got my votes in ^w^
Thanks so much for putting this together, AJ :D
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed May 19, 2021 11:23 am

Just a reminder to get your votes in if you havent already, as the poll ends tonight.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu May 20, 2021 12:04 pm

Well, looks like we have a winner. What preposterously pricy games are people planning to play?

Some I was considering:

Magical Chase (TG16)
Mega Man (GG)
GG Aleste I/II (GG)
Magical Pop'n (SNES)
Ninja Cop (GBA)
Mr Gimmick (NES)
Elevator Action Returns (Saturn)
Ack

by Ack Thu May 20, 2021 12:52 pm

Oh dear. Time to freak out over the prices of some of the stuff in my collection.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu May 20, 2021 1:55 pm

This will be a fun TR! I may play some expensive shmups I have on modern consoles, like Radiant Silvergun or Zanac X Zanac, and this will also be a good opportunity for me to play some expensive oddities, like Dragon Fighter.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri May 21, 2021 3:47 am

Woo hoo! Time to dig into those games I got on PSN recently :D
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Fri May 21, 2021 6:28 am

I just got my new reprinted copy of Shante GBC from Limited Run.
But, first I will finish Dragon Warrior 2... the end game grinding.... ugg.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

by TEKTORO Sat May 22, 2021 7:25 am

I think too rich is a fun pick, if that happens maybe we can go with a rare/pricey game we own or will pick up?
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Return to Together Retro