Join in on our classic gaming club!

Which 2nd place Together Retro theme should we play in June?

Poll ended at Wed May 19, 2021 7:09 pm

Experiments in the HAL Laboratory
19%
Final What? Dragon Who?
26%
Too Rich For My Blood
44%
A Boy And His Post-Apocalypse
11%

Total votes : 27
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro June 2021 Poll - Best of the rest!

by alienjesus Sat May 22, 2021 7:33 am

I think that the main point of theme is looking at the rare games and seeing if they’re worth it. I think the most interesting thing would be to play games which don’t have cheaper rereleases elsewhere but I’m totally fine with people playing cheap digital rereleases of very pricy physical games. I’m also totally fine with people playing games they already own that are super pricy too. Personally, I’m looking to fire up stuff I couldn’t afford (or at least justify owning) to play by any means other than emulation
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat May 22, 2021 4:16 pm

alienjesus wrote:I think that the main point of theme is looking at the rare games and seeing if they’re worth it. I think the most interesting thing would be to play games which don’t have cheaper rereleases elsewhere but I’m totally fine with people playing cheap digital rereleases of very pricy physical games. I’m also totally fine with people playing games they already own that are super pricy too. Personally, I’m looking to fire up stuff I couldn’t afford (or at least justify owning) to play by any means other than emulation

This in incredibly helpful. Even if I’ve already beaten the,, I’ll replay a few of my really pricey games for a bit too and provide some thoughts on value.

Played a bit of Dragon Fighter last night, actually...
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue May 25, 2021 10:42 am

Still looking forward to this! Here’s what I have on tap:

Gun-Nac (NES)
Misadventures of Tron Bonne (PS1)
Recca (Famicom)
Spud’s Adventure (Gameboy)

We’ll just have to see if this gaming experience is worth a little under $1300!
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sat May 29, 2021 2:28 pm

I feel kind of cheap playing my new Limited Run version of Shante for next month's TR... but I bought it to play so I'm going to. Feelings be damned.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:37 pm

Games I'm considering playing for June's TR ...

Radiant Silvergun (SAT)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Saturn Bomberman (SAT)

Might also break out Ninja Warriors (SNES). Finished it last year but it's a fun game, good excuse for me to play through it again.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:50 pm

What I find funny is that MANY retro games are kind of pricy now :lol:

It's actually more sad than funny

I'm not entirely sure how these work. Do they have to be games we have never played before? I have a few ideas, but some of them are games I have actually played before.

Metal Wolf Chaos - Is the new release the same as the OG Xbox version? I have both and am wondering which would be the better choice
Psychic Killer Taromaru - I had a burned version of this once that I played on my modded Saturn. I don't think I beat it though (pretty hard game from what I remember), so it could be fun to try again
Kuon - I own this, but never played it. I don't play many horror games, so this could be interesting if I decide to play it.
Undercover Cops - So this recently got a US release on cartridge from Retrobit, but it was pretty expensive I think and all the copies sold out. I'd have to emulate. I like beat 'em ups but never got a chance to play this one.
Aria of Sorrow - I own this and I have wanted to play it for some time. The prices of this seem to have gone up quite a bit

I have some other pricey GBA games and Ziggy's GBA thread has me wanting to play them now

Note wrote:
Might also break out Ninja Warriors (SNES). Finished it last year but it's a fun game, good excuse for me to play through it again.

Have you tried the new version? I've played Ninja Warriors too, but it could be fun to try the new one on the Switch

Note
Next-Gen

by Note Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:24 pm

Raging Justice wrote:What I find funny is that MANY retro games are kind of pricy now :lol:

It's actually more sad than funny

I'm not entirely sure how these work. Do they have to be games we have never played before? I have a few ideas, but some of them are games I have actually played before.

Doesn't have to be games you never played before, just has to fit the month's theme! I like to try to play games I haven't finished before or played in a really long time that fit within the theme. I also like to use it as an excuse to get into a game I normally wouldn't gravitate towards.

Raging Justice wrote:Undercover Cops - So this recently got a US release on cartridge from Retrobit, but it was pretty expensive I think and all the copies sold out. I'd have to emulate. I like beat 'em ups but never got a chance to play this one.

I remember when this was put up for pre-order. Maybe I should've picked it up -- I played through a chunk of it in emulation a few years ago and enjoyed what I had played of it.

Raging Justice wrote:Have you tried the new version? I've played Ninja Warriors too, but it could be fun to try the new one on the Switch

I haven't tried it yet, but the gameplay footage I've seen looks pretty awesome. I like the fact they added a few new characters too and it's co-op now. My partner has a Switch, so from time to time I'm able to use it. I need to get this game! Lol.
Return to Together Retro