Join in on our classic gaming club!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Together Retro April 2021 - Little Big Adventure

by alienjesus Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:41 pm

April is upon us, and only fools wouldn't join in with this month's Together Retro theme Little Big Adventure!

From now until April 30th, we're going to play 8-bit portable RPGs & Action Adventure games! How do these epic quests scale down to limited hardware, tiny screens and shorter battery life? Lets find out!

Here's some suggestions for titles you could play:

Game Boy:
Cave Noire
Final Fantasy Adventure
Final Fantasy Legend I-III
Fortified Zone
For The Frog The Bell Tolls
Great Greed
James Bond 007
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow
Pokémon Gold/Silver
Rolan's Curse 1/2
Sword of Hope I/II
Ultima: Runes of Virtue 1-2

Game Boy Colour:
Azure Dreams
Bomberman Quest
Crystalis
Dragon Warrior Monsters 1 & 2
Dragon Warrior I & II/III
Hamtaro: Ham-Ham's Unite!
Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
Pokémon Crystal
Survival Kids

Game Gear:
Ax Battler: The Legend of Golden Axe
Crystal Warriors
Defenders of Oasis
Lufia: The Legend Returns
Lunar: Walking School
Metal Walker
Madou Monogatari I/II/II/A
Royal Stone
Shining Force: Sword of Hajya
Shining Force: Final Conflict
Sylvan Tale

Neo Geo Pocket Colour (This technically isn't 8-bit, but power wise it's so similar to the others that I'm allowing this for the month too!):
Biomotor Unitron
Dark Arms Beast Buster
Evolution
Faselei!

And so many others... Post what you're going to play in the thread below, and let's get adventuring!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro April 2021 - Little Big Adventure

by alienjesus Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:57 pm

This is what I have ready to play this month. There's more games here than I can reasonably get to so I'll see what I feel like as I clear each game and play as many as I can. Here's the more 'classic' RPGs and Action Adventure games:

Dragon Warrior Monsters (GBC)
Stranded Kids (GBC)
Great Greed (GB)
Crystal Warriors (GG)
Defenders of Oasis (GG)
Madou Monogatari I (GG)
Shining Force: Final Conflict (GG)
Biomotor Unitron (NGPC)

And this is the stuff that fits the requirements in some ways but is perhaps a bit more off-theme. Stuff I can play if I get RPG-ed out!

Mario Golf (GBC)
Mario Tennis (GBC)
Pokemon Card GB2 (GBC)
Cool Cool Jam (NGPC)
SNK vs Capcom: Cardfighters Clash (NGPC)
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:29 pm

Great theme! I'm glad this theme came out the winner for April, as I have some games I've had for such a long time that I'd like to try to finish.

I plan on playing Final Fantasy Adventure first. I should have time later in the month for another game, and if so I'd like to play Zelda: Link's Awakening DX next. Look forward to seeing what everyone else is going to play!
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:04 am

I'm gonna be playing Gargoyle's Quest! Also possibly the GB remaster of the sequel, if I can find a ROM for it X3
I really liked playing Demon's Crest when I played it a couple months ago, so I'm excited to finally get to the other ones in the series ^w^
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:52 am

Note wrote:Great theme! I'm glad this theme came out the winner for April, as I have some games I've had for such a long time that I'd like to try to finish.

I plan on playing Final Fantasy Adventure first. I should have time later in the month for another game, and if so I'd like to play Zelda: Link's Awakening DX next. Look forward to seeing what everyone else is going to play!

I'm playing the same two games... just in the opposite order.
Just finished the castle in Link's Awakening last night (I started about a week early).
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
marurun

by marurun Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:25 am

Just started Dragon Warrior III last night. Had to go through the intro personality test several times to get a result I was happy with. This game can kind of give you the finger from step 1 if you let it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:44 am

marurun wrote:Just started Dragon Warrior III last night. Had to go through the intro personality test several times to get a result I was happy with. This game can kind of give you the finger from step 1 if you let it.

What was the issue with the personality test? Does it affect the story later on? Just curious, as I'm not familiar with the game.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:34 pm

The personality test assigns you a personality, which affects your stat growth rates. One of the things that kind of sucks about it is you start off with questions randomly selected from a list, and the results then fire off a scenario that does the final "what is your personality". The thing is, because the questions are random you cannot guarantee a particular personality from power-on; you have to get the right series of questions to open the right scenario to get a particular personality.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

by marurun Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:38 pm

There’s a complex map online. You can technically get to almost all, if not all, outcomes with the right answers to the questions.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:22 pm

Don’t sweat the personality test at the beginning of the game. It doesn’t matter that much, and you can still play through the game easily regardless of your answers.

I am playing For the Frog the Bell Rings. It is a very odd game most famous, perhaps, because Nintendo reused its engine for Link’s Awakening.

In it, you play as a prince, Prince Sable, who sails off to an island to compete against another prince, Prince Richard, to rescue Princess Tiramisu. After a while, you are turned into a frog, and you quickly gain the ability to turn into a frog, prince, or snake at will. The game has some very, very light RPG elements - you have some basic stats that you improve by buying or finding items - and the combat is very odd. Once you bump into an enemy, you trade blows with it until one or the other is victorious. How quickly you take down your enemies’ health, and how quickly they take down yours depends on your stats and whether you’re a frog, prince, or snake. The game leans in hard on the 2D platforming, with the “dungeons” being mostly played from a side-view perspective. All of these strange mechanics combine to make something very, very different from Link’s Awakening, but nonetheless quite compelling and enjoyable.
Return to Together Retro