Join in on our classic gaming club!

Which theme for Together Retro April 2021?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:31 pm

Little Big Adventure
40%
Gotta Play 'Em All!
16%
Miniature Heroes
4%
Too Rich For My Blood
40%

Total votes : 25
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro April 2021 poll - Lets get voting!

by Nemoide Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:51 am

Cool, I've been really enjoying getting back into Game Boy and Game Gear over the past year so I'm glad to see it as part of a TR theme! I'm going to aim to play some Cave Noire but I'd also like to finally finish playing Metal Walker, both for Game Boy.

One GB game I recently learned about I'm curious to try is For Frog the Bell Tolls. But since it's Japanese-only and I don't want to play it on an emulator on my PC or something to use the translation patch I'll be waiting for the Analogue Pocket to come out (and maybe for someone to make a jailbreak firmware for it if I can't patch a cart I physically have out of the box).
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:12 am

Sweet. I’ll be playing For Frog the Bell Tolls and, maybe, the Rolan’s Curse games. Looking forward to it!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:00 am

My list of stuff I might play:

Crystal Warriors (GG)
Defenders of Oasis (GG)
Dragon Warrior Monsters (GB)
Great Greed (GB)
Pokémon Card GB2: Great Rocket-Dan Sanjo! (GBC)
Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict (GG)
Survival Kids (GBC)

I'm also eyeing up a few potential purchases I'm interested in - the Game Boy has some interesting stuff like Sword of Hope and Dragon Warrior III, along with all sorts of GBC RPGs (they got popular after the Pokémon boom it seems!), but I'm also eyeing up more Japanese Game Gear games like Madou Monogatari and Sylvan Tale.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:30 pm

Dragon Warrior III for GBC is my #1 favorite 8-bit RPG of all time, MAYBE my favorite RPG of all time. I highly recommend that one!
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:47 pm

I guess I'll use this as an excuse to replace the battery in Pokemon Crystal. And if I'm smart I'll also build my team with an eye towards importing into Colosseum 2 so I don't have to use the rentals.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:55 pm

Nemoide wrote:Dragon Warrior III for GBC is my #1 favorite 8-bit RPG of all time, MAYBE my favorite RPG of all time. I highly recommend that one!

You have outstanding taste. That game does, in fact, rule.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:46 pm

It's the second best way to play DQIII. The best being the NES original; by the time of III they'd figured out balance of experience and cash and grinding properly so you don't need the redo that we got for DQ 1+2, and the aesthetics of the NES original beat the GBC due to the fundamental difference in how each system manages tiles and coloring.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

by marurun Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:58 pm

MrPopo wrote:It's the second best way to play DQIII. The best being the NES original; by the time of III they'd figured out balance of experience and cash and grinding properly so you don't need the redo that we got for DQ 1+2, and the aesthetics of the NES original beat the GBC due to the fundamental difference in how each system manages tiles and coloring.

I dunno, the GBC version adds in some fantastic art and animations for enemies. Doesn't it also include some features from the SFC release?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:09 pm

I'm thinking it's time I finally play Link's Awakening all the way through.
I want to play it (original, I don't have the DX version) on my GBA SP, but I hate that it colors it and defaults to red. I can not find a palette I like, any suggestions?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:51 pm

B+Left on startup gives a black & white palette that looks really good for original Game Boy games

I know you said you can't find a palette you like, but maybe B&W will work? IDK what else to try outside of buying a GBC!
Return to Together Retro