Join in on our classic gaming club!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Together Retro February ‘21 - Mickey & Donald in 8- & 16-Bit

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:20 am

Sing it with me...

:D :D :D R A C — K E T — B O Y T R!! :D :D :D

This month’s theme is:

Mickey & Donald in 8- & 16-Bit - Two classic Disney characters in classic video games. What could be more Together Retro than that? For this month’s Together Retro, we’ll be playing 8- and 16-bit video games starring Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck. Examples of games in this category:

Sorceror’s Apprentice (2600)
Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (Game Gear/Genesis/Sega Master System)
Land of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (Game Gear/Sega Master System)
Legend of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (Game Gear/Sega Master System)
World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck (Genesis)
Donald Duck: Deep Duck Trouble (Game Gear/Sega Master System)
Lucky Dime Caper starring Donald Duck (Game Gear/Sega Master System)
Fantasia (Genesis)
Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow (GameBoy/Genesis/Super NES)
Mickey Mania: The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse (Genesis/PSX/Sega CD/Super NES)
Quackshot (Genesis)
Donald Duck (Famicom)
Mickey Mouse I - IV (Famicom/GameBoy)
Adventures in the Magic Kingdom (NES)
Mickey Mousecapade (NES)
Mickey’s Adventure in Numberland (NES)
Mickey’s Safari in Letterland (NES)
Mickey’s Ultimate Challenge (Super NES)
Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse (Super NES/GameBoy Advance)
Great Circus Mystery starring Mickey & Minnie (Super NES/GameBoy Advance)
Magical Quest 3 starring Mickey & Donald (Super Famicom/GameBoy Advance)
Donald Duck and the Magical Hat (Super Famicom)
Mickey’s Tokyo Disneyland Adventure (Super Famicom)
Mickey’s Dangerous Chase (GameBoy)
Mickey Mouse Magic Wands (GameBoy)
Donald Duck Goin’ Quackers (GameBoy Color)
Magical Tetris Challenge (GameBoy Color)
Mickey’s Racing Adventure (GameBoy Color)
Mickey’s Speedway USA (GameBoy Color)
Donald Duck Advance (GameBoy Advance)
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (GameBoy Advance)

This list isn’t exhaustive, and we should all have quite a bit to choose from this month. Have fun, and be sure to post your thoughts on these games in this thread.
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

Re: Together Retro February ‘21 - Mickey & Donald in 8- & 16

by TheSSNintendo Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:15 pm

I have Quackshot on my PC via emulator, so I really want to give that a try. Saw that in a GamePro magazine, so I asked my dad if he could rent that at Blockbuster for me. Well, they were out, but he came back with Castle of Illusion. Seemed like a win-win situation.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:28 pm

Alright...let’s get this party started...You know who’s beaten both of the Hi-Tech Expressions Mickey Mouse games for the NES? THIS GUY! I also played them on “super advanced” difficulty, and I 1CC’ed both of them because I am a genius video game master!!!

OK...Mickey’s Adventure in Numberland and Mickey’s Safari in Letterland are edutainment titles designed to teach small children about letters and numbers (and basic platforming). In Letterland, you explore a variety of small levels to find three jewels and a letter mold. At the end of the level, Mickey spells a three-letter word, and you put the letter mold in the right part of the alphabet. It controls well, and it looks like a late-period NES game attempting to copy the graphical flourishes of 16-but platformers. Also, you can’t die; so, there is no failure state.

Keeping with the long tradition of Math being harder than English, Numberland is, in comparison, basically Dark Souls. You explore larger levels looking for a particular number, some which are well hidden. Enemies are more aggressive, and you can die. Moreover, you have to solve a badic math problem at the end of each level. Still, it’s pretty easy, as you’d expect for an edutainment title aimed at kindergartners, and you can get through it in less than half an hour.

Since I’ve beaten Mickey Mousecapade a few times, I now have every Mickey Mouse game for the NES under my belt. (Mickey Mousecapade is awesome, by the way.) I hope you enjoy the short reviews. Since many of you will likely be playing the Illusion games this month, I’m going to try to power through a few odd games before embarking on them myself.

What are the rest of you planning on playing this month?

TheSSNintendo wrote:I have Quackshot on my PC via emulator, so I really want to give that a try. Saw that in a GamePro magazine, so I asked my dad if he could rent that at Blockbuster for me. Well, they were out, but he came back with Castle of Illusion. Seemed like a win-win situation.

Nice. Definitely a win-win. I distinctly remember the graphics in the Genesis Disney games, particularly Fantasia and Quackshot, blowing my mind when I was a kid. (“Graphics will never get better than this!”) It us so funny looking back on them now.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:44 pm

I've got 2 games on order for this month which I'm hoping will arrive on time. One of them certainly should as it's withi the UK, but the other is a Japanese import and with current postage it'll likely turn up in June.

The first game I have on order is The Great Circus Mystery on SNES. I've played Magical Quest (the first game in the same series) before and it was decent enough so I suspect this will be fun too. If it improves on the original it may even be great. One day I'll have to play the third game too.

The second game on it's way is Mickey No Tokyo Disneyland Daiboken for Super Famicom (Mickey's Tokyo Disneyland Adventure per the original post). This one looks fairly unique with it's balloon mechanic and it was cheap so why not.

I'm curious about Donald Duck and the Magical Hat - other then the 2600 game (not my thing really, sorry Bone) this is the only game on the list I've not heard of before. I looked up some gameplay and it sure is a looker - what a pretty game for the console. Not sure how the gameplay holds up though?
lordb0rb4
32-bit

by lordb0rb4 Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:10 pm

Platformers are not my favorite but what is the best one on Master System?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:48 pm

lordb0rb4 wrote:Platformers are not my favorite but what is the best one on Master System?

Land of Illusion is the best one in the series and one of the best platformers on the console, so I'd go with that
TheEagleXIII

by TheEagleXIII Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:56 pm

First time I’m taking part - might be the perfect time as I’ve got quite a few of these!

Played through World of Illusion on my Mega Drive Mini about a year ago with a friend. The co-op aspects -though few- really helped the two-player experience. It was good fun but proved quite easy, we completed it on our first run through in about 90mins. My buddy had played it as a kid, so I don’t know if that helped.

I still recommend trying out 2 player if you have chance. I can’t think of many platformers from the era that pull it off quite so well. Castle of Illusion is much harder as a solo experience, so I’m expecting World to be as well if I try it solo. Not a fan of using a magic blanket as a ‘weapon’ though... Mickey’s butt-bump from Castle is way more fun. :D

Also started playing Quackshot for first time last year but didn’t continue beyond the first three levels. So this’ll be a good excuse to go back to that!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:52 pm

TheEagleXIII wrote:First time I’m taking part - might be the perfect time as I’ve got quite a few of these!

Played through World of Illusion on my Mega Drive Mini about a year ago with a friend. The co-op aspects -though few- really helped the two-player experience. It was good fun but proved quite easy, we completed it on our first run through in about 90mins. My buddy had played it as a kid, so I don’t know if that helped.

I still recommend trying out 2 player if you have chance. I can’t think of many platformers from the era that pull it off quite so well. Castle of Illusion is much harder as a solo experience, so I’m expecting World to be as well if I try it solo. Not a fan of using a magic blanket as a ‘weapon’ though... Mickey’s butt-bump from Castle is way more fun. :D

Also started playing Quackshot for first time last year but didn’t continue beyond the first three levels. So this’ll be a good excuse to go back to that!

Sweet. Welcome to the forums. I am very please you’ll be participating, and please take some time to post your thoughts on the games as you play through them.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:44 pm

I just beat Castle of Illusion on the Genesis. It seemed like the best starting point being the most popular/well known Mickey game. I've played the first level a bunch of times, but it never really sucked me in. To be perfectly honest, it's a little on the boring side for me. Don't get me wrong, it's a really solid platformer, and I do like it, I just don't love it. I can see how awesome it would have been in 1990, and I get how much nostalgia some people must have for it. But if you're playing it for today for the first time, compared to other platformers, it's a little bland. I still like it though, and I'm glad I finally beat it!

I'm not sure which one I'm going to play next. I might hope around a little. Here are some of the games that peaked my interest though...

Sega Master System - The 3 Illusion games (Caslte, Land and Legend). I've already played a little of Castle, but the music is just so damn irratating to me. I'll give it another shot though, as well as the other 3 Illusion games. Then there's Lucky Dime Caper which I figure I might as well try out.

NES - I own Mickey Mousecapade, although for some reason I never played it. I've seen some gameplay footage and it looks like it might be fun but not exactly my kind of game. I guess I might as well try it. Or (shameless plug) it's up for sale in my BST thread if anyone wants it!

Genesis - I just beat Caslte of Illusion. I want to check out World of Illusion, and definitely Quake Shot.

Sega CD - Mickey Mania. This game was also released for the Genesis and SNES. The SNES has some prettier graphics, but it also missing a lot of stuff and (strangely) has load times. The Sega CD has more content than the Genesis version, so it definitely the way to go here. I've been looking to get some use out of my new Mega Everdrive Pro anyway.

PS1 - Mickey's Wild Adventure. This is the same game as Mickey Mania on the Sega CD, although the graphics were pretty much all redone when it was ported to the PS1. It was released only in PAL, but you can play an NTSC version of it via a patch or Action Replay codes ([img=http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=53427]info on that here[/img]). I think I'm going to check out the Sega CD version of the game first, then if I enjoyed playing through it I'll check out the PS1 version.

SNES - The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse. I only briefly watched some gameplay footage, so I'm not sure if it's a good game or not. There's two sequels, with the third one staying in Japan (on the SFC).

Wii / Wii U / 3DS - Epic Mickey - I was really enjoying Epic Mickey on the Wii when it first came out, but for some reason I stopped playing the game and never finished it. I've been meaning to replay it for a long time now. This is on the back burner for this month, I'll play it only if I get through everything else first. I also have the sequel on the Wii U (as well as Steam) but never played it (another shameless plug: Epic Mickey 2 is new/sealed and also up in my BST thread). AND I have Epic Mickey Power of Illusion on the 3DS but never played it. I played the demo back when I first got my 3DS and bought the game, but never got around to playing it. Although it's tied to the Epic series with the mechanics, it's still a 2D or 2.5D) platformer, so I might check out this one ahead of the 3D Epic Mickey games. It's just that the Wii and Wii U Epic Mickey games will take longer to play through than the other games on this list, so I don't want to waste the entire month on them alone.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:15 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:I Wii / Wii U / 3DS - Epic Mickey - I was really enjoying Epic Mickey on the Wii when it first came out, but for some reason I stopped playing the game and never finished it. I've been meaning to replay it for a long time now. This is on the back burner for this month, I'll play it only if I get through everything else first. I also have the sequel on the Wii U (as well as Steam) but never played it (another shameless plug: Epic Mickey 2 is new/sealed and also up in my BST thread). AND I have Epic Mickey Power of Illusion on the 3DS but never played it. I played the demo back when I first got my 3DS and bought the game, but never got around to playing it. Although it's tied to the Epic series with the mechanics, it's still a 2D or 2.5D) platformer, so I might check out this one ahead of the 3D Epic Mickey games. It's just that the Wii and Wii U Epic Mickey games will take longer to play through than the other games on this list, so I don't want to waste the entire month on them alone.

Fun games I’m sure, but they don’t fit the theme! 8- and 16-bit games only! Play Mickey Mousecapade - it’s tough! - and Magical Quest instead.
Return to Together Retro