28%
Mickey & Donald in 8- & 16-Bit
33%

Total votes : 36
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro - February, 2021, Poll - MICKEY & DONALD

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:07 pm

Ack wrote:What about the first Kingdom Hearts? Donald is a party member, after all, even if you're not directly playing as him.

Also, I take it this has to be games where the main character is Mickey or Donald, so Adventures in the Magic Kingdom on the NES is definitely out too.

Kingdom Hearts works. I could live with Adventures in the Magic Kingdom, too, since Mickey’s in it so much.

EDIT: To be clear, only the GBA Kingdom Hearts would work.
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:35 pm

I'm currently playing through Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories, so I might write a bit about that in the thread, but for me that's not in spirit of the theme enough for my tastes.

I'm aiming to finally play Castle of Illusion on my Genesis Mini! I've heard lots of good things about this series but have never really given it a try. I'm also bidding on a copy of Lucky Dime Caper for Game Gear and will try to play that too if I win.

If anyone plays through Mickey Mania, I'll be curious to hear what their experience is like. I've met a lot of folks who love the game and consider it to be THE standout Mickey video game. It certainly has some charm, I do like that each stage is based on a specific vintage cartoon, but I thought the game design was too messy for my tastes. Some levels just felt like they were throwing a lot of random things at the player rather than focusing on providing a well-crafted experience. I've played worse games, but I'm definitely hoping that I like Castle of Illusion more...
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:16 am

I recently picked up copies of Castle of Illusion and World of Illusion for the Genesis, so I'm looking forward to getting into them more throughout February! I played a bit of each to test out the carts and enjoyed what I've played, looking forward to spending time with both games and can hopefully finish them.

I'm interested in the other games on AJ's list, especially Quackshot but going to focus on the 16-bit Illusion games next month.
marurun

by marurun Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:36 am

Hey, don't knock Goofy! He was fantastic in Matterhorn Screamer for Apple II, C64, and IBM PC!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:53 am

alienjesus wrote:1. Land of Illusion (SMS/GG)
2. Legend of Illusion (GG)
3. Quackshot (MD)
4. Castle of Illusion (MD)
5. Castle of Illusion (SMS/GG)
6. World of Illusion (MD)
7. Deep Duck Trouble (SMS/GG)
8. The Lucky Dime Caper (SMS/GG)

Thanks for the list! I was actually checking out Castle of Illusion on SMS about a year ago, but the music was so irritating to me that I had to stop playing LOL. I even posted a thread about it here. But I think I just need to suck it up and give the game another shot. I really like the SMS, I just hate the way some of the games sound.

Nemoide wrote:If anyone plays through Mickey Mania, I'll be curious to hear what their experience is like. I've met a lot of folks who love the game and consider it to be THE standout Mickey video game. It certainly has some charm, I do like that each stage is based on a specific vintage cartoon, but I thought the game design was too messy for my tastes. Some levels just felt like they were throwing a lot of random things at the player rather than focusing on providing a well-crafted experience. I've played worse games, but I'm definitely hoping that I like Castle of Illusion more...

So I was just looking into Mickey Mania, and it has some strange pros and cons between ports. Regarding the Genesis and SNES version, the SNES has some nicer looking graphics (stuff like clouds in the sky, fire, the usual difference between Genesis and SNES) while the Genesis has that typical dithering. But strangely, the SNES version is missing some things and has loading times between sections. The Sega CD version adds even more content, like voice clips and sound effects and some other things, but also has loading times. The graphics still looks the same as the Genesis though. But comparing these three versions, it looks like the Sega CD port is best.

Then there's the strange PS1 port, which was a PAL exclusive called Mickey's Wild Adventure. This version has mostly new graphics, including some 3D elements. Very PS1 2D looking graphics, if you know what I mean. It definitely looks better than the Sega and SNES ports, but you could argue that it looks different and not necessarily better. While the graphics are definitely better, you could argue that the Sega and SNES ports look more like a hand drawn cartoon.

I want to check out both the Sega CD and PS1 versions. There's a patch for the PAL PS1 game to convert it to NTSC. However, I'm having trouble finding the correct dump of the game that the patch works with. The patch readme says to use a game image from the redump set with a CRC32 hash of 6BA284AD. I've located two different redump dumps of this game, but neither have the correct hash. Does anyone know where I can find a dump of this game with the correct hash?
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:45 am

Ziggy587 wrote:
alienjesus wrote:1. Land of Illusion (SMS/GG)
2. Legend of Illusion (GG)
3. Quackshot (MD)
4. Castle of Illusion (MD)
5. Castle of Illusion (SMS/GG)
6. World of Illusion (MD)
7. Deep Duck Trouble (SMS/GG)
8. The Lucky Dime Caper (SMS/GG)

Thanks for the list! I was actually checking out Castle of Illusion on SMS about a year ago, but the music was so irritating to me that I had to stop playing LOL. I even posted a thread about it here. But I think I just need to suck it up and give the game another shot. I really like the SMS, I just hate the way some of the games sound.

Nemoide wrote:If anyone plays through Mickey Mania, I'll be curious to hear what their experience is like. I've met a lot of folks who love the game and consider it to be THE standout Mickey video game. It certainly has some charm, I do like that each stage is based on a specific vintage cartoon, but I thought the game design was too messy for my tastes. Some levels just felt like they were throwing a lot of random things at the player rather than focusing on providing a well-crafted experience. I've played worse games, but I'm definitely hoping that I like Castle of Illusion more...

So I was just looking into Mickey Mania, and it has some strange pros and cons between ports. Regarding the Genesis and SNES version, the SNES has some nicer looking graphics (stuff like clouds in the sky, fire, the usual difference between Genesis and SNES) while the Genesis has that typical dithering. But strangely, the SNES version is missing some things and has loading times between sections. The Sega CD version adds even more content, like voice clips and sound effects and some other things, but also has loading times. The graphics still looks the same as the Genesis though. But comparing these three versions, it looks like the Sega CD port is best.

Then there's the strange PS1 port, which was a PAL exclusive called Mickey's Wild Adventure. This version has mostly new graphics, including some 3D elements. Very PS1 2D looking graphics, if you know what I mean. It definitely looks better than the Sega and SNES ports, but you could argue that it looks different and not necessarily better. While the graphics are definitely better, you could argue that the Sega and SNES ports look more like a hand drawn cartoon.

I played through the PS1 version a few years ago (in fact, for my own Together Retro month on licensed 2D platformers) and I enjoyed it. It definitely is a bit jankier than the Illusion games but it's still pretty decent.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:10 pm

It sounds like a lot of people are going to play the Illusion games, which is great! Some others I’m considering:

Sorceror’s Apprentice (2600)
Fantasia (Genesis)
Maui Mallard (SNES)
Mickey’s Adventure in Numberland / Safari in Letterland (NES)

Have any of you played any of these for more than a few minutes? According to HLTB, I should be able to get through many of these in a single sitting, and I expect to really inflate my “games beaten” numbers next month.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:47 pm

Fantasia is dire, I’d really recommend avoiding that one. It’s the broken, barely playable type of bad.
marurun

by marurun Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:50 pm

The GBA releases of Capcom's Micky Mouse games are not bad. I enjoyed them bitd.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:05 pm

marurun wrote:The GBA releases of Capcom's Micky Mouse games are not bad. I enjoyed them bitd.

I had nearly totally forgotten about the Magical Quest games! I think I ended up beating the 3rd one, but never any of the other ones. I'll have to emulate them and see if I can beat either of them next month. Thanks for the reminder, Maru~ :D
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Return to Together Retro