28%
Mickey & Donald in 8- & 16-Bit
33%

Total votes : 36
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Together Retro - February, 2021, Poll - MICKEY & DONALD WIN

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:49 pm

It’s time for the February, 2021, Together Retro Poll!

Advanced Isometrics - Before true 3D computer graphics, many developers used an “isometric” graphical style to create 3D graphical effects. This graphical style was employed in almost every genre, but with varying degrees of success. If this category wins, we’ll spend the month exploring games viewed from a 45-degree angle and talking about the extent to which the gameplay is aided, or hindered, by the unique graphical style. Examples include: Baldur’s Gate, Diablo, Equinox, Landstalker, Snake Rattle ‘n Roll, Solstice, Sonic 3D Blast, Super Mario RPG, X-COM, etc.

Days of Future Past - It’s 2021, and video games have now been around for a very long time. Some of them, made long ago, speculated about events in the future...a future...which is now...IN THE PAST! If this category wins, we’ll be playing games that, at the time they were made, involved events in the future, but now, take place in some sort of alternate history. Examples include: Crystalis, GunHed, Mega Man 2, OutRun 2019, Street Fighter 2010, TMNT: Turtles in Time, etc. (Even if this category doesn’t win, I still want people to provide examples of games that meet this unique criteria!)

Experiments in the HAL Laboratory - While HAL Laboratory and Nintendo were always close, they became much closer when Nintendo rescued HAL from bankruptcy in 1993. Before then, HAL was much more independent, developing games for other companies, publishing its own games more frequently, and even publishing games created by other developers. If this category wins, we’ll play games developed or published by HAL Laboratory before 1993. Examples include: Adventures of LoLo, Air Fortress, Arcana, Day Dreamin’ Davey, Kabuki: Quantum Fighter, Joust (NES), Kirby’s Dream Land, NCAA Basketball, Revenge of the Gator, Trax, Vegas Dream, etc.

Mickey & Donald in 8- & 16-Bit - Two classic Disney characters in classic video games. What could be more Together Retro than that? If this category wins, we’ll be playing 8- and 16-bit video games starring Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck. Examples include: Castle of Illusion, Great Circus Mystery, Land of Illusion, Magical Quest, Mickey Mousecapade, QuackShot, etc.

You can vote two times; you can’t change your votes; and the poll closes on Monday, January 25! Thanks for voting!
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ziggy587

Re: Together Retro - February, 2021, Poll

by Ziggy587 Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:14 pm

I've been wanting to play the Mickey and Donald games. I've only played a little bit of a few Mickey games.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:54 pm

Less than a week to go, and three categories are almost tied! Be sure to vote before next Monday!
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:27 am

Ziggy587 wrote:I've been wanting to play the Mickey and Donald games. I've only played a little bit of a few Mickey games.

I'd like to play these as well, as I don't have much experience with them. But some great categories to choose from this month, will be looking forward to February's TR no matter what category wins!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:19 pm

Tomorrow’s the last day to vote. It’s still a close race!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:14 am

Mickey and Donald have pulled ahead. I’ll shut the poll down this afternoon; so, if you have t voted, do so ASAP!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:06 pm

Poll’s closed!

Mickey & Donald in 8- & 16-Bit is the winner! What are people planning on playing next month? I may take a run at the “illusion” series...
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro - February, 2021, Poll - MICKEY & DONALD

by alienjesus Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:49 pm

I highly recommend the Sega developed Mickey & Donald Games. I'd rate them, from best to worst:

1. Land of Illusion (SMS/GG)
2. Legend of Illusion (GG)
3. Quackshot (MD)
4. Castle of Illusion (MD)
5. Castle of Illusion (SMS/GG)
6. World of Illusion (MD)
7. Deep Duck Trouble (SMS/GG)
8. The Lucky Dime Caper (SMS/GG)

However, they're all worth a play, and the SMS/GG ones in particular I think don't get enough love. The 8 bit Castle of Illusion is fairly different and unique too - it's not just a port.

I've also played Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse which is pretty decent, and Mickey Mania which is also pretty good.

I might pick up one of the sequels to Magical Quest on Super Nintendo, as I've only played the first. Another game I'm considering is the Japan only Mickey no Tokyo Disneyland Daiboken for Super Famicom, which looks like a lot of fun.

Does anyone know if there's any worthwhile Mickey or Donald games on Game Boy/Game Boy Colour or NES? None of the ones I've seen look great.

Also, what do Disney have against Goofy? How come he's not got many games? (I'm assuming Goof Troop doesn't fit the category here @prfsnl_gmr?)
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:25 pm

alienjesus wrote:.Also, what do Disney have against Goofy? How come he's not got many games? (I'm assuming Goof Troop doesn't fit the category here @prfsnl_gmr?)

I’m with Disney. Goofy is the worst. His one, sad game ABSOLUTELY doesn’t count for next month. :lol: Also, no DuckTales or Darkwing Duck.

Also...there are good Gameboy games for next month. Mickey stars in Crazy Castle games in territories outside North America. Mickey Mouse Magic Wands, for the Gameboy, is also a solid game, and Mickey’s Speedway USA is probably the Gameboy’s best kart racer. Skip Mickey Mousecapade, though. It is an exercise in frustration, and while I’ve beaten it, that’s only because it’s one of the few games I owned as a kid.
Ack

by Ack Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:43 pm

What about the first Kingdom Hearts? Donald is a party member, after all, even if you're not directly playing as him.

Also, I take it this has to be games where the main character is Mickey or Donald, so Adventures in the Magic Kingdom on the NES is definitely out too.
Return to Together Retro