Join in on our classic gaming club!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Together Retro January 2021 - 2011 games!

by alienjesus Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:15 am

Hi all,

It's time to kick off together retro for the year, and just like last year we're kicking off by playing games that have or will become 10 years old in 2021 - anything that released in 2011 is valid.

2011 was a bit of a transitional year for gaming, so the offering is a bit smaller than usual in my opinion.

For Nintendo, it's the year the 3DS arrived and the DS started to be phased out and it was the last big hurrah for the Wii before the Wii U arrived in 2012.

For Sony, we were still seeing some big releases on PS3 although they were slowing down with the PS4 on the approach, but the PSP was being phased out ready for the Vita to arrive at the very end of the year in Japan, and early 2012 everywhere else.

Microsoft were still trucking along with the 360 as usual - but like Sony, preperations for the next console generation means the releases were slowing to some extent.

PC gaming did what PC gaming does. I'm not the guy to talk about that stuff though :lol:

Here's some games to consider for each console (as before, you're on your own for PC :oops: :

Wii:
Wii Play Motion
Bit.Trip Complete
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny
Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Rayman Origins
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

DS:
Monster Tale
Learn with Pokémon: Typing Adventure
Kirby Mass Attack

3DS:
Pilotwings Resort
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Dead or Alive Dimensions
Star Fox 64 3D
Super Mario 3D Land
Shinobi 3D
Mario Kart 7

PS3:
LittleBigPlanet 2
Mass Effect 2
Dead Space 2
Hyperdimension Neptunia
Dragon Age II
Yakuza 4
Catherine
Dark Souls
Uncharted 3

PSP:
Prinny 2
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Ys I & II Chronicles
Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy
The 3rd Birthday
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Patapon 3

Vita:
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Touch My Katamari
Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend

360:
Dead Space 2
LA Noire
El Shaddai
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
Assassin's Creed Revelations
Portal 2
Sonic Generations
Skyrim
Saints Row The Third
Ziggy587

Re: Together Retro January 2021 - 2011 games!

by Ziggy587 Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:50 am

Wow, quite a few games that have been on my to-play or re-play list. I'm sure there's even more from 2011 if I looked.

alienjesus wrote:Wii:
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

3DS:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Super Mario 3D Land

PS3:
LittleBigPlanet 2
Dark Souls

PSP:
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

For the Wii...

I had a BLAST playing Kirby's Return to Dreamland! I played through the main game 3 times (all back to back). Once solo, once co-op with my brother, and then finally a solo round on the hard mode unlocked from beating the game. I also had a ton of fun playing the mini-games, especially Ninja Dojo. I haven't played it since 2011, but I've been wanting to replay it for a few years now. I can't believe it's been 10 years since it came out! It'll probably never be as magical to me as it was when I first got it, but I'm sure I'll still enjoy a replay of it.

Skyward Sword, I got it a couple years after it was released. I was having fun with it, except for the controls. I don't mind motion controls in principle, but I dislike having to hold both arms in the air for long periods of time, and that's exactly what this game requires you to do. I found it so uncomfortable to play, especially after coming home from work, that I had to stop playing. I'd like to one day make another attempt at this game, but with so many other 3D Zeldas I've yet to play it's unlikely that I'll return to it any time soon.

For the 3DS...

I absolutely adored Super Mario 3D Land, and played it to completion. But like so many other games from this period, I played through it once when it came out and haven't played it since. This is another game I've thought about replaying for a couple of years now. Maybe this will be my excuse to finally replay it!

Ocarina of Time, I picked up for the 3DS after enjoying Wind Waker on the Wii U so much. One thing I really liked about WW was that dual screen experience, so I thought it would be just as good in OoT for the 3DS. Also, improved graphics from the N64 version. My copy of OoT for 3DS is still sealed, however. I've only ever played through OoT once on the N64, and it's been years. I want to play the 3DS version, but I'd also like to replay it for the N64 some time. Whichever version I choose to play next, I would feel guilty for not choosing the other version, so I just simply haven't played it LOL (yes, I'm somewhat crazy). Maybe I can use TR to just play the 3DS version already!

For the PS3...

I had an absolute BLAST playing through the first LittleBigPlanet. I played through it once solo, and then again co-op with my brother. We had intended to "ace" every level (no deaths) which is hard enough to do playing solo. But I traded in my PS3 phat for a slim. I backed up MY profile and restored it to my new PS3. But the progress saves for LBP work strangely, they're tied to profiles. So while MY save progress was backed up, I did not back up the profile I had to make for my brother. So all of HIS LBP save data was lost, which messed up the game completion. This was such a crush because of the effort it took to ace certain levels. Anyway, long story short, I really wanted to complete LBP 1 before moving on to 2, but since we lost that save data I just sort of never moved on to 2. Maybe I can use TR to finally let go and just play it already!

Dark Souls has been on my list for about a year now. It just flew under my radar 10 years ago. I have the remastered version for PS4 though. Does that still count for TR?

For PSP...

Trails in the Sky has been on my list for years now, but I have it on PC not PSP.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:11 pm

2011 was pretty much peak seventh gen. I am going to play Portal 2 since I really, really need to play that. (I LOVED Portal.). There are a bunch of really good games released that year, though, and I’m interested in seeing what others choose.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:38 pm

Mass Effect 2 is a bit of cheat here, no? Came out 2010 on 360.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:39 pm

I dunno, I just looked at Wikipedia :lol:
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:43 pm

Here are the games I am thinking about playing this Month:
Lost In Shadow - This was one of the games I hunted down while Wii games were ridiculously cheap. I have always been intrigued by this and now have a reason to play it.
Spider-Man: Edge of Time - Shattered Dimensions was a great game and I know the sequel is not as good, but I want to give it a chance if I can track down a copy (not Wii though)
Sonic Generations - This deserves another playthrough.
Mighty Switch Force 3Ds - I have this and never finished it. This will be my go-to game during sporting event's commercials this month.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:23 pm

Was in the middle of Skyward Sword anyways and beating every zelda game is my long-term project so this will be a good motivator.
Lurkei
8-bit

by Lurkei Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:37 pm

Sload Soap wrote:Mass Effect 2 is a bit of cheat here, no? Came out 2010 on 360.

If you ask me, it should just be games that got their first release in any region and any platform in 2011. So if something got released in 2011 and then translated/ported in 2012, it's a 2011 game even if you play the 2012 translation/port. That's the cleanest and most consistent way for game databases to do their year cataloging, so it makes sense that it'd apply here, too. But TR seems to play things pretty loose, and that's fine! As long as people are playing or discovering games they haven't before, that's all that matters.

Anyhow, I think I'll play Hydra Castle Labyrinth first. I've been interested in playing it for a while, and it's short. Release years for freeware can be a little harder to track, but every source I can find lists it as released in 2011, so it's eligible and I'm gonna give it a shot!

I'm not a fan of metroidvanias, but I really want to have an appreciation for them since they're an adjacent genre to 2D platformers, my absolute favorite genre. That, and I just want to figure out what people see in them.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:40 pm

Well apparently EYE: Divine Cybermancy came out in 2011, so I guess that was at least one game I've played for this month's TR theme.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

by lordb0rb4 Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:52 pm

Happy new year everyone!

Well, not a bad way to kick off january i guess, i managed to beat 2 amazing games pretty quick, the first one being Crysis 2 and what a blast, it's actually quite refreshing to play a FPS with no fillings and shenanigans, pretty simple yet engaging experience.
The next game was The King of Fighters XIII (One of the Games With Gold of this month) and my god this game is GORGEOUS in every aspect.
One of the reasons i like KOF XIII so much is the gameplay focused more on zoning and meaningful use of single moves rather than crazy combos and juggling, or i should say, you can actually get by even in online matches with good strategy.
So there you have it boys, banger starter if i could say so myself, hope you guys have fun as well!

Any chance of online matches anyone? That would be awesome!
Return to Together Retro