Join in on our classic gaming club!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro December 2020 - Konami & Capcom Off Actio

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:36 pm

MrPopo wrote:Wait until you meet the fish man (no idea what his Japanese name is).

Oh man that underwater town with the 467846728 shops is the worst area in the game. The entire underwater segment is so poorly paced.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:53 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Wait until you meet the fish man (no idea what his Japanese name is).

Oh man that underwater town with the 467846728 shops is the worst area in the game. The entire underwater segment is so poorly paced.

Yup. I'm riiiight before where you recruit Blue, but that underwater segment realllly sucks. I mean I get that they're going for a DQ4 thing with it, but it is just done so well. Also, it doesn't seem like you can actually make money from setting up your own shop as Maniiro (the fish man)? I never got any price offered that was actually more than just selling my shit at a normal shop ^^;

I've been too tired to play the past few days, but I'm still enjoying the game~. It's been very interesting seeing locations that make comebacks (in some form or another) in the sequel. The transformations in this game are really weird and cool, for sure, but at the same time I do think the shaman system from BoF2 is a bit better.

It's also been very cool to see just how heckin' much of BoF's narrative feels like part of a foundation laid down that its sequel would be built on. Ox is totally a proto-Rand, fish guy is a prototype for Jean (the frog man), Karn (or Danku, as he's known in Japanese) is totally a prototype for Katt. The first game certainly isn't bad (it's a very competent RPG aside from some pretty consistently bad signposting), but it has been a while since I've played a game where the sequel is so visibly better in every way.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:30 pm

I finished Breath of Fire 1 last night! I got the good ending (the guide I was using to get through rough signsposting pointed out the dragon equipment to get, so I just sorta stumbled along with that XP), so the final fights were pretty trivial ^^;

Haven't quite gotten around to writing my review yet, but it's been a fun time and an overall okay game. Nothing spectacular, but I'm glad I played through it~
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:36 am

Good thing about BoF1 is that you can't get locked into the bad ending. Unlike BoF2.

Back in the 90s I initially got the bad ending, but I knew something was amiss as it seemed odd that a crying girl would be the final boss. Pretty sure I consulted Nintendo Power to discover where the final dragon form was located.

I really enjoy the first Breath of Fire. It can get tedious, but the characters are really unique and interesting and the soundtrack is phenomenal.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:36 pm

I just hit the adult section of Breath of Fire 3 and so far I'm not finding the game as fun as the first two. The script (not the localized script, the original) could use some editing to pare it down a bit and the new gameplay systems feel like they add complexity without adding depth.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:09 am

I like the SNES games better than the PSX games.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:57 pm

So far that's how I'm feeling. The main thing the PSX games has is there's even more room for animations, so the battles are extremely pretty. And amusingly the only time where I feel like it's wasting my time is the long animations on the status spells enemies spam, and those animations are quite simple, just overly long.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:28 pm

MrPopo wrote:So far that's how I'm feeling. The main thing the PSX games has is there's even more room for animations, so the battles are extremely pretty. And amusingly the only time where I feel like it's wasting my time is the long animations on the status spells enemies spam, and those animations are quite simple, just overly long.

Between this stuff and the glut of mandatory mini-games you've talked about in Slack, it sounds like BoF3 shares a lot of problems with FF7 ^^;
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:37 pm

Good to know that most seem to prefer the SNES games in the BOF series over the PS1 games. I'm interested in playing through the series as well. The sprite work in BOF 4 looks amazing though, I was impressed when I saw some footage of it a few months back.

Does anyone know if the GBA ports have any major differences from the SNES releases?
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:08 pm

Note wrote:Good to know that most seem to prefer the SNES games in the BOF series over the PS1 games. I'm interested in playing through the series as well. The sprite work in BOF 4 looks amazing though, I was impressed when I saw some footage of it a few months back.

Does anyone know if the GBA ports have any major differences from the SNES releases?

The SNES versions are quite similar save for some slight aesthetic changes, as far as I know. BOF2 weirdly enough still has a bad translation but, iirc, not the SAME bad translation. Very very odd. The biggest thing, as is usual with SNES games on GBA, is that the music is gonna be worse, but if you'd rather play them portable, I think they're a pretty good way to play the games~. Of course if you use the Switch Online SNES service and aren't leaving home, I suppose the SNES games via the Switch is also sorta portable :lol:
Return to Together Retro