Join in on our classic gaming club!
MrPopo

Re: Together Retro December 2020 - Konami & Capcom Off Actio

by MrPopo Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:20 pm

So I finally got around to beating Breath of Fire 2, and one thing that stuck out was the fact that it's amazing it got localized. The game features a plot where the church of the land is actually a front for a demon worshipping cult; people's prayers are giving a demon strength and is posing as their god. It's the sort of "organized religion is evil" plot that we see over and over again in JRPGs, but here it's still pretty fresh and seems like it's pretty in violation of what we understood NoA's censorship policies to be. Additionally, several notable NPCs suffer pretty nasty deaths; two of them get thrown into walls and then zapped by lightning and one gets crushed in a stone trap. My working theory is NoA's approval committee only played the first half of the game; that part is like the part of an anime where they're introducing the cast, before the big bad shows up. All the evil church stuff doesn't really come in until the second half; there's just some hints that there's a big bad as you defeat bosses in the first half, but none reference the church.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:39 am

Lurkei wrote:I threw together this chart for anyone looking for a particular genre and/or company.

Hey Lurkei, just want to say awesome chart! You did a great job with it.

I'm aiming to play Goof Troop, as that was a game I checked out a few months ago and enjoyed more than I anticipated. It's different than the usual games I play, so it'd be a good change of pace.

Vandal Hearts is also a contender as I'm a fan of SRPGs and it's a game I tried through emulation a few years ago and had fun with, but not certain I'll have enough free time this month to finish a RPG.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:13 am

I played some Goemon Mononoke Suguroku yesterday, the combo of Monopoly and Yu-Gi-Oh on N64 that Konami made. I'm gonna try and get through it once I finish Yakuza Kenzan (which I'm allllmost done with), at least if my N64 memory pack actually has the ability to save still ^^;. This game doesn't have saves in the cart, so I'm the mercy of what has been in the past, at least, the one memory pack I've stumbled across that works, but you never know! :P

Otherwise, it's onto Breath of Fire once I'm done with Kenzan~
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:02 am

I finished Goemon Mononoke Suguroku today! It only has seven stages in the story mode, and if you get lucky (as I absolutely did in the final stage especially) it doesn't take all that long to beat them~. The one-v-one matches are often pretty easy if you know what to do (and get lucky in the first couple turns), but the 3 person games are harder to win that fast. I'll get to the proper review eventually, but my verdict so far is that it's a neat idea but a lousy game XP
Lots of cool mechanics that just aren't balanced at ALL, and the boards, by and large, are pretty bad. If you want a non-Mario Party board game game on this generation of consoles, you should definitely look elsewhere unless the sheer novelty of "Goemon-branded Yu-Gi-Oh Monopoly" appeals to you like it did for me XD
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:53 am

Played a bunch more Breath of Fire 1 today. I got up to the floating island, and I've got Gilliam and Nina, so my fighting force is slowly improving~

The game itself is sorta padded for content in a fairly uninteresting way, and the narrative itself is quite simple. The signposting is also not the greatest, which is also pretty annoying (but that's what GameFAQs is for XP). The encounter rate is also way too heckin' high. It's like I'm playing Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast or something :lol: . I did play a bit of the English one and a bit of the Japanese one and ultimately decided to play the Japanese one. It does seem like the writing quality of that version is a little bit better on the whole. It's a pretty bog standard RPG so far, but it's good fun regardless~
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:23 pm

Wait until you meet the fish man (no idea what his Japanese name is).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:50 pm

So is a platformer off action? Kinda a confusing description
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:26 pm

Decided on playing Goof Troop on the SNES for this month's Together Retro. I'm enjoying the game so far, and just finished the first level. Being a puzzle game, it feels fresh as it's a change of pace from the genres I usually lean towards. The game's controls are easy to pick up and the design overall feels intuitive. Hopefully I can finish another level or two today and have the game completed by the end of the month.

I'd also like to try this out with a friend down the line, as it seems like it'd be a lot of fun in two player co-op mode.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:51 pm

stickem wrote:So is a platformer off action? Kinda a confusing description

Sorry for taking so long to see this ^^;
Action-focused games are ideally off the table for this month, so games whose main priority is strategy, puzzles, turn-based gameplay, and generally slower-paced stuff are ideal for this month. Stuff that falls into genres like platformers, run'n'guns, shmups, and things like that don't fall into this month's category. I hope that helps :D
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:08 pm

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
stickem wrote:So is a platformer off action? Kinda a confusing description

Sorry for taking so long to see this ^^;
Action-focused games are ideally off the table for this month, so games whose main priority is strategy, puzzles, turn-based gameplay, and generally slower-paced stuff are ideal for this month. Stuff that falls into genres like platformers, run'n'guns, shmups, and things like that don't fall into this month's category. I hope that helps :D

Gotcha, thanks
Return to Together Retro