Join in on our classic gaming club!
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Together Retro December 2020 - Konami & Capcom Off Action

by PartridgeSenpai Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:32 am

You thought it would be Prfsnl making the TR thread, but instead it was me! Pidge! :lol:

As I said back in September:

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Konami and Capcom were the kings of 8-bit and 16-bit action games, sure, but they also had tons of games that weren't action games, especially in the 5th console generation and beyond. This category is about looking at the forays into non-action titles by two publishers/developers best known for their high energy games.

But someone did make a good point in the voting thread: what about Okami? What about games that have multi-dozen hour playtimes and story focuses? For the purposes of this category, I say that counts. What I'm most curious about here is how two very famously action-focused developers handled storytelling, so longer Zelda-style adventure/action games like Okami fit in well enough with that, I think.

I'm gonna be playing Breath of Fire 1 in Japanese (Ack convinced me in the Slack chat X3), and if I'm still super game for more BoF stuff, I'm gonna play Breath of Fire 3 as well~.

Possible Entries:
- Vandal Hearts
- Breath of Fire Series
- Suikoden Series
- Shadow of Memories
- Ace Attorney Series
- Okami Series
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro December 2020 - Konami & Capcom Off Actio

by alienjesus Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:51 am

PartridgeSenpai wrote:You thought it would be Prfsnl making the TR thread, but instead it was me! Pidge! :lol:

As I said back in September:

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Konami and Capcom were the kings of 8-bit and 16-bit action games, sure, but they also had tons of games that weren't action games, especially in the 5th console generation and beyond. This category is about looking at the forays into non-action titles by two publishers/developers best known for their high energy games.

But someone did make a good point in the voting thread: what about Okami? What about games that have multi-dozen hour playtimes and story focuses? For the purposes of this category, I say that counts. What I'm most curious about here is how two very famously action-focused developers handled storytelling, so longer Zelda-style adventure/action games like Okami fit in well enough with that, I think.

I'm gonna be playing Breath of Fire 1 in Japanese (Ack convinced me in the Slack chat X3), and if I'm still super game for more BoF stuff, I'm gonna play Breath of Fire 3 as well~.

Possible Entries:
- Vandal Hearts
- Breath of Fire Series
- Suikoden Series
- Shadow of Memories
- Ace Attorney Series
- Okami Series

More suggestions for good games:

Zelda: Minish Cap/Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons
Tokimeki Memorial
LovePlus
Ghost Trick
Zack & Wiki
Metal Gear Acid
Goof Troop

I have 3 games that fit the bill I think (LovePlus, Suikoden and Goof Troop) so if I join in I'll play one of those. Not sure if I'll have the time this month though!
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:31 am

Was supposed to beat Shadow of Destiny for last month's challenge but it counts for this one too :lol: will get on it soon
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:13 am

Excellent suggestions, AJ!

And Shadow of Destiny is a good pick! I have that as well, so I miiiight get to it? The last time I tried it, I was TERRIBLE at the attacking QTE, so I might just stick to BoF where my inability to do QTEs won't heck me up so bad :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:09 am

I’m in. I’m wrapping up a few more “games not beaten” so I can start 2021 fresh, but once I finish those off, I’ll fire up Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth. I’m looking forward to <finally!> playing a game starring my RB avatar. :lol:
Lurkei
8-bit

by Lurkei Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:09 am

I threw together this chart for anyone looking for a particular genre and/or company.

As for me... Just finished Moai-kun!

I love "exact" movement in puzzle platformers. In Moai-kun, your jumps reach exactly two tiles across, also meaning you can jump one-tile gaps. You can jump one tile high. If you're on a one-tile platform (such as a boulder), you can now jump two-tile gaps and scale two-tile-high walls up to one tile apart from you. If you use three boulders, you can create "stairs" that allow you scale three-tile walls under the same conditions, and so forth. Having that kind of simple mathematical backbone just makes it... fun to get immmersed in the mechanics, if that makes sense? It's something I loved about Sutte Hakkun (which I recently finished the GBC version of), and it's actually something I love about the classic Mega Man games, too.

It was a little too easy to brute-force things, though. There are three gimmicks making up the bulk of the game's challenges: boulders you can move, breakable blocks that obey gravity, and breakable blocks that do not obey gravity. Since boulders can really only go one direction (down), breakable blocks remain permanently broken, and every stage is a single screen, there's a tightly limited number of possible object configurations. Once you realize this and starting working stages out from the top down, you can breeze through them. It was a little disappointing for most solutions to come to me either right away, or through dull process of elimination. Stages 34 and 56 were the only ones that had me stumped for more than 20 minutes.

I wouldn't recommend anyone go out of their way to play it, but if you're partial to puzzle games, give it a spin. It's good in a wordsearch-y kind of way. No one does wordsearches for the challenge, but no one would turn down a quick little wordsearch either. If you're looking for an NES puzzle game to really sink your teeth into, I recommend Solomon's Key or Solstice. Or even Solar Jetman could scratch that itch. Alternatively, first play Moai-kun as a stepping stone to those.

Aaaaand now that I'm done with this game, I'm not sure what to play next...
There's too many options, so someone pick a game for me! Preferably if you're also playing it.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:08 am

Nice. Moai-kun is one of my most-wanted import titles, and your review makes me want it more.

Off-topic a bit...have you played 1001 Spikes? If not, I think you’d enjoy it. It is brutally difficult, but it is all about the precise jumping mechanics you describe above. It is made, to a certain extent, to mimic the mechanics of old MSX games, many of which were designed by Konami.
Ack

by Ack Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:12 pm

That's a nice chart, Lurkei. Nice work on that.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:29 pm

Thank you so much for the chart! That thing is awesome :D

Moai-kun is a game I totally forgot about! I really gotta try and find that game around here sometime. I wanted it a lot when I was a kid, but it totally slipped my mind. Your review just makes me want it even more X3
Lurkei
8-bit

by Lurkei Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:05 pm

Thank you, Ack and Partridge!

And yep, I've played 1001 Spikes! It was a long time ago and I admittedly got to only the third world or so before I stopped. I only had about 700 lives left, and global limits in games just freak(ed) me out too much. (I'd do better now.) Since the last couple games I've played have been so relaxed, it could probably make a good change of pace. I think it's still on my Wii U...
Return to Together Retro