Join in on our classic gaming club!
MrPopo

Re: Together Retro December 2020 - Konami & Capcom Off Actio

by MrPopo Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:58 pm

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
MrPopo wrote:So far that's how I'm feeling. The main thing the PSX games has is there's even more room for animations, so the battles are extremely pretty. And amusingly the only time where I feel like it's wasting my time is the long animations on the status spells enemies spam, and those animations are quite simple, just overly long.

Between this stuff and the glut of mandatory mini-games you've talked about in Slack, it sounds like BoF3 shares a lot of problems with FF7 ^^;

Thing is, most of the required FF7 minigames are easy to get through and just serve as a minor diversion. The BoF3 stuff is much more tedious; several of them feel just like the CPR minigame.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

by Ack Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:49 am

Was it the fishing minigame that got you hung up in BoF3? That's the one I remember the most.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:02 pm

The finishing minigame (and the conversion of the fishable merchant to dealing in fish rather than gold) convinced me that I should not bother with fishing other than the mackerel for plot progression. But catching a mackerel isn't too bad. The ones that really got me are:

1. Hauling up the scrap that turns out to be a boss.
2. Hauling up vinegar
3. The Desert of Death - it's like Capcom looked at the blizzard snowfield part of FF7 and went "what if we went much longer and more abstract?"
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:17 pm

I wonder to what degree FF7 influenced BoF3's design :O
BoF3 released in Japan a little more than 8 months after FF7 did, so not enough to make the game from scratch, almost certainly, but definitely enough time to have looked at FF7 and made SOME changes :O
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:10 pm

And BoF3 is done. Definitely the weakest of the three games I've played, but decent enough to be worth a play if you can forgive the minigames.
Return to Together Retro