Join in on our classic gaming club!
Lurkei
8-bit

Re: Together Retro November, 2020 - Games NOT Beaten

by Lurkei Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:27 am

I did!
The ending surprised me. You're telling me the mage is the same species as Hakkun? I didn't see that coming.
One more world opens up after you clear 9-10. At first, I wanted to do that world as well, but I think I'll hold off for the time being. I can always come back when I feel like a replay. Instead, I'll see if I can get in Top Hunter before the month ends.

And yes, I voted! It seems like Konami & Capcom Off Action is going to win, which I'm completely fine with. It's a cool theme! I've already got some ideas on what I'll be playing.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

by TEKTORO Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:56 am

There is one particular game in my backlog that’s been there for 25 years easily and it’s my favorite game of all time. It’s a perfect game and went on to become one of the greatest RPGs ever, it’s my fourth role RPG game ever played after Dragon Warrior, Wizardry, and FF Mystic Quest. Having only completed 50% of the game as of my last attempt in 1995, Final Fantasy III for Super Nintendo has always been on my mind after all these years. It’s one game I must finish and have no idea why I never have. The cast of characters (everyone of them) are fantastic and grow deeply on you, Shadow and Moogle are my favorite. The journey is so engaging and fluid, battles are pixel gorgeous, music and sound effects are exciting. Story wise there are so many plot twist and side stories you’ll be on the edge to see what happens next.

Although I’m busy at this time to actively participate I still wanted to share a backlog story, this is definitely a month I saw and liked. So going back into my story, I had contacted some old family friends that I haven’t spoken to in over 10 years and it turned out nice! Next message I get from my old friend is “I have something for you that your gonna want”. I says okay, so I gave him my address. Package arrives, feels like a CD booklet! I’m like bro he sent all the lost recordings of me and his brothers music sessions!! Open up the mail... it’s a CD wallet (I sorta remember it), Open it up.. no music but filled with my OG collection of PS1 Disc!

It was bitter sweet (cause I wish I had those recordings) but here was what I had. Final Fantasy Anthology (FFVI/3), Coolboarders 3, 3Xtreme, THPS2, GTA, CTR, Tenchu 2, Darkstone, FF Tactics (x2), Vigilante 8, and a couple others. Pretty wild for someone to have after 12 years, but it was pretty cool and now I have my favorite game again! I plan on playing Final Fantasy 3 on PS1 very soon!
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:22 pm

I picked up Final Fantasy 6 again tonight, starting with the Ancient Castle, which I cleared out, grabbing the offering along the way and setting up another very powerful party member.

Then, all sidequests complete, I finally went and took on Kefka's Tower. I'll write up the next bit in spoilers so I don't ruin anything for TEKTORO:

Kefka's Tower makes you run 3 seperate parties to get through it, so I set up 3 teams. Theoretically you can swap items and stuff between them but I thought it was more fun to make do with what I had.

My 3 teams were:
Celes, Setzer, Strago and Locke
Terra, Cyan, Gogo and Sabin
Relm, Mog, Edgar and Shadow
I left Gau and Umaro behind.

Each team had a powerful mage - Relm was a nuke and could have hadnled her path alone, but Celes didn't know Ultima so I teamed her up with Strago for more magic support and Locke who had the offering for extra damage output.

I took the team of Relm, Terra, Mog and Locke into the final battle. Locke was defeated along the way so Sabin joined for the final form of Kefka - and between Relm's dual casting ultima, Terra's Ultima spells, Sabin's Bum Rush and Mogs jump damage, they took him down in short order.

And that's Final Fantasy 6 beat, just before the month ended. I'm glad I played it, it's a good game and a great 16 bit RPG. It's not my favourite Final Fantasy (that's 9), or even my favourite SNES Final Fantasy (that's still 5), but it's enjoyable throughout and I'd rate it above many of the other games - such as 4 or 7.

I have one more outstanding RPG I need to get back to now, but that doesn't fit the retro criteria (it's Dragon Quest XI), so that's all I'll be doing this month for Together Retro this month.
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

by TheSSNintendo Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:09 pm

Just finished The Guardian Legend.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:55 pm

I squeaked in finishing my old Wild Arms 5 save. Which I think makes it my oldest save file that I set down and then came back and beat.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:20 pm

TheSSNintendo wrote:Just finished The Guardian Legend.

Nice, nice work. That is such a solid game, IMO. What did you think of it?
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

by TheSSNintendo Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:59 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
TheSSNintendo wrote:Just finished The Guardian Legend.

Nice, nice work. That is such a solid game, IMO. What did you think of it?

Good game, but kinda hard at times. Used to play it all the time at my cousin's when I was a kid, and then played it on and off throughout the years.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:24 pm

I’m approaching the final dungeon in Phantasy Star III, and if all goes well, I may be able to get this one done before the end of the month. I have all the legendary “Nei” weapons, and I’m on the hunt for the Dark Force. It will be great to finish this one off at long last!

EDIT: ...and...it’s done. Just in time! I took down The Dark Force and beat Phantasy Star III. I’ll write it up a bit in the “games beaten” thread.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:00 pm

I finally beat Jet Set Radio, though it was the HD remake and not on the dreamcast. Used a Ps4 controller and it worked well, though there was a few things...

The controls. They are so bad. Aged terribly, the camera controls just don't work. And I know it's not just just the PC port, the controls were what stopped me from playing it on the dreamcast years ago. The camera is at a weird angle that's too low- lots of jumps end up being basically blind because you can't see what's below you.

The weird momentum your character has when trying to make precise platforming-style jumps nearly impossible, which makes all the levels in the 3rd act really annoying, especially the level with the rooftops. The enemies with jet packs sniped me fucking CONSTANTLY off the top of the buildings when I was trying to tag, and there was one part in the sewer where you basically just had to tactically tank damage so you could do the XL tag. Died to that a few times.

The lack of a dedicated grind button means that you'll often miss jumps or spots you want to land on just because you can't stop- and since grinding is automatically done, you'll often start grinding the wrong way, which is extremely frustrating.

The boss fights were mostly laughably easy, though it was because the AI fucks up constantly and just stops and waits on you to come and tag them, or they get caught on geometry, etc. Taking damage completely kills your momentum and often knocks you in a direction, or turns you around entirely, which is a massive headache in the race missions to unlock characters.

While incredibly flawed, the game is still a ton of fun. Sure, I got pissed as hell and shouted a good couple dozen curse words at my computer- but even though I was pissed about dying, I'd eagerly restart the level with a better route planned. Sometimes I'd try a level I just beat again because I was sure I could get a Jet rating that time.

Honestly, the presentation is entirely what makes the game so enjoyable, because the game's strength is absolutely not in it's gameplay. Everyone's well aware of how good the soundtrack is, but it sounds even better when you're actually chaining together tricks and grinds and hitting tags without skipping a beat.

Now onto Jet Set Radio Future!
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Return to Together Retro