Join in on our classic gaming club!

November, 2020, Together Retro

Attack of the Clones!
27%
The Dawn of Digital Distribution
17%
Games Not Beaten
29%
Hey! Who Put All These Puzzles in My Platformer?!
17%
MSX Gon’ Give It to Ya!
10%

Total votes : 41
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Together Retro - November, 2020, Poll

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:19 pm

Welcome to the November, 2020, Together Retro Poll!

The first thing you need to do is...VOTE!. There is an election happening right now in the United States, and it is extremely important that all of you do your civic duty and exercise your rights.

Now that you’ve done that, you can vote in the second-most-important election of our lifetimes and help us choose some video games to play in November. Here are the categories:

Attack of the Clones! - If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then each game in this category flatters, sincerely, another popular or influential game. Put another way, games in this category copy another more influential or popular game. Why play The Legend of Zelda when you can play Golden Axe Warrior? Who needs Castlevania when you have Master of Darkness? Sonic the Hedgehog’s pretty fast, but have you played Bubsy? The mechanics in Fighter’s History are actually really solid...

The Dawn of Digital Distribution - Digital distribution has had a tremendous impact on the video game industry, but there was a time when most video games were only available on physical media. This category recognizes the pioneers of digital distribution, and if we select it, then we will play games that: (1) are at least ten years old; and (2) were only available digitally at the time of release. Examples include more modern indie games like Braid, Cave Story, Limbo, etc., but this category might also include some much older games such as those distributed through university mainframes (e.g., Oubliette, Rogue), Nintendo game kiosks (e.g., Fire Emblem Thracia 776, Sutte Hakkun), or other services, such as the Sega Channel.

Games Not Beaten - These are vintage games you’ve started, but for some reason, haven’t finished, and this category’s goal is to help you get through these games before the end of the year. If this category wins, and with your support, I’ll be pushing through Landstalker and Phantasy Star III, among others, and I hope to help some of you through some classic games too.

Hey! Who Put All These Puzzles in My Platformer?! - Puzzle platformers are pretty common now, but that wasn’t always the case. Games were either one or the other. Nonetheless, there were a few around, and games like Lode Runner, The Lost Vikings, Solomon’s Key, Toki Tori, and Wario Land would all fit in his category.

MSX Gon’ Give It to Ya! - MSX games...or games that first appeared on the MSX...or modern remakes of classic MSX games. Whatever. This category’s goal is to celebrate this classic, extraordinarily influential computer any way we can.

Polls close on Halloween; so, be sure to vote before October 31!
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro - November, 2020, Poll

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:49 pm

I have an MSX! So yeah, I voted for that.

Also puzzle platformers. Strangely I haven't played much of Lost Vikings 2.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:02 pm

Games Not Beaten??

Yeah, I will gladly vote for a category that makes up most of my gaming throughout the year! :D
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:41 am

My votes are in for Digital Distribution and MSX. There’s still plenty of time left, but right now, it looks like Games Not Beaten is going to win a landslide.
marurun

by marurun Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:37 am

Well, I mean, you are giving folks an out to deal with backlog items they stalled out on already. That's a rather appealing option as a backup for someone's main pick, because it's safe. But that's also one of those options you can really only trot out once every year or two.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:31 am

marurun wrote:Well, I mean, you are giving folks an out to deal with backlog items they stalled out on already. That's a rather appealing option as a backup for someone's main pick, because it's safe. But that's also one of those options you can really only trot out once every year or two.

Aren't there already other threads about this topic? I feel like that's a throwaway topic and really hinders the unity of the "together" part of "together retro."

I voted for DDD and Clones because those are the two categories for which I'm most interested in learning about new games.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:28 am

This is a good point. There is a Games Not Beaten thread, and I agree that we will likely be playing different games. I think we will still share the pain and elation associated with triumphing over challenging games.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:38 pm

I haven't been posting as much as I'd like to lately, but I'm voting for Digital Distribution and MSX. I like the idea of playing Shantae: Risky's Revenge or Snatcher (does Snatcher count? I think it was out on PC-88 at the same time... if not I'd play the original Metal Gear)

I personally feel like Games Not Beaten is just way too broad of a category even though I love having an excuse to shrink that red bar on my Backloggery.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:44 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:This is a good point. There is a Games Not Beaten thread, and I agree that we will likely be playing different games. I think we will still share the pain and elation associated with triumphing over challenging games.

I agree. I don't think I'll vote for it (I'm still thinkin' about it), but all sharing in the experience of seeing a previously abandoned game to completion will be interesting ^w^
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:59 pm

SURPRISE!

You can now change your votes. I will leave it this way until the poll closes some time on Halloween.
Return to Together Retro