Join in on our classic gaming club!
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro October 2020 - The Horror of Point-and-Cl

by PretentiousHipster Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:47 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:
marurun wrote:Gabriel Knight

Ok, next question: Original or Remaster?

Haven't played the remastered version but I assume they fixed some of the pixel hunting issues. Still, they changed the voice actors for the remastered one. The original had Tim Curry, Mark Hamill, and Michael Dorn.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:21 pm

So the correct answer is original.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

by marurun Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:38 pm

MrPopo wrote:So the correct answer is original.

This. Not all the original voice work is great, but I LOVE Curry's voice for Gabriel Knight.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:50 pm

One of the best moments that showcased his talent was him putting on a very bad fake Irish accent that kept breaking into his character's Louisana accent. Having 2 accents at once sounds impossible to do.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:07 pm

After playing dark seed for about an hour, not bad for 20 bucks. I really don't really get why it wasn't just made to be a controllable character. I don't think I could take this game without a walkthrough. Most of my time is spent trying to execute picking shit up or examining an object not obvious. And I know i couldn't take his bitching about the headache/shower every morning if i had to figure this out on my own. I took a few breaks and I guess some items/events are timed and I got locked out and so I can't really follow the walkthrough anymore. Guess I'm going to gave to start over and play through it all. I dig the music and cut scenes. Has a splatterhouse thing going on. I'm definitely going to finish it.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:03 pm

Holy hell the museum segment in Gabriel Knight 2 almost ruins the game. It's an information overload since it all comes in at once while in part 1 it was interspersed, and the way they do with the tour tapes and plaques made it so dry. It took me 50 minutes to go through it.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:16 pm

I've been chipping away with Sanitarium and am now up to Chapter 6 "The Hive" which I think is about as far as I got the last time I played.
It's an interesting game with an engaging story that's undermined by one big flaw: it goes too slowly. If the game gave you the ability to run or made the default walking speed faster, it would be a lot more fun to play. Instead I find myself slowly walking back and forth along twisting paths. It gets obnoxious. The game could definitely stand a bit more polish, but it's still a very solid point & click adventure. The puzzles aren't too difficult but I'll still end up checking GameFAQs because there are some things that are very easy to miss clicking on.

But the game's structure is really interesting. You start off as a man with a bandaged face trying to remember who he was, then you transform into his little sister who died when he was a child so that he can right some wrongs in his own mind while visiting an evil circus, and now the protagonist has transformed into a muscular cyclops with four arms out of his favorite childhood comic book. In between that are segments in the titular sanitarium, showing things more and more disturbing (I'm surprised this game got away with a T rating, there's some explicit gore here. I don't really know where the story is going to end up, but I hope to finish it by Halloween!
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:12 am

I'm not really into gabriel knight 3. It tries its best but it easily aged the worst. Of course the infamous puzzle is stupid
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:58 pm

I’ve also been playing Gabriel Knight Sins of the Father, but it just isn’t clicking with me. (Pun intended.) There is just way too much dialogue, and the main character sucks. Admittedly, however, the somewhat organic puzzles are pretty good.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:21 pm

The main character grew on me by the end of part 1 and he's somehow super endearing in part 2.
Return to Together Retro