Join in on our classic gaming club!
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro October 2020 - The Horror of Point-and-Cl

by stickem Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:50 pm

I made it halfway through dark seed. I was following a youtube video pretty thoroughly, I couldn't have been that far off the time, and missed a phone call and an item. Not sure if its important or not. For some reason following the video my dude just fell over and died, transformed, whatever, and a cut scene game over. Not sure why I died but I don't have the patience for this sort of game to immediately replay it right away. The game is fun and irritating to me at the same time. Can anybody tell me how you die in this so I might have a clue to proceed lol?
Last edited by stickem on Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:02 pm

I started Day of the Tentacle yesterday and it's really fun! I'm looking forward to going through the rest of it~. I'm always surprised at just how funny these old LucasArts games still are, and Hoggie talking to the founding fathers was heckin' killing me XD
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:32 pm

Yea I'm not really into Gabriel Knight 3. They did their best with the interface, but it didn't age well and the sequences that require timing and stealth are the worst with this interface. I'll try to beat it before Halloween but I don't think I'll have my video of the trilogy ready until November.

EDIT: A secret handshake? Seriously?
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:56 pm

I finished Sanitarium!
It's a good game, not too frustrating, interesting structure, all in all worth playing if you like 90s adventure games.
That said, it does feel a rough around the edges. Walking can be painfully slow (especially while you're transformed into the little girl Sarah). There's combat that gets introduced fairly quickly but then drops out of the game around the halfway point. While the difficulty isn't too bad it's sometimes hard to figure out where you can go and paths might be completely obscured by foreground objects. While the story starts off like an extremely interesting supernatural mystery, by the end it feels like the developers sort of ran out of steam (if you're exploring your own mind, transforming into your dead sister and favorite comic book hero makes some sense but there's an Aztec warrior segment that feels out of left field). I'm glad I saw it through to the end, but the ending just kind of makes me go "oh, I guess that's it"

But I don't want to be too hard on it! The atmosphere of the game can be really good at times and I appreciate that none of the puzzles require bizzaro non-logic. The fact that the whole game is voice acted and has a lot of CGI cut scenes were pretty impressive for when it came out. I haven't played too many other horror point and click games, but it's certainly leagues better than The 7th Guest. I'm thankful to finally cross it off my backlog!
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:43 am

I finished Day of the Tentacle! I haven't quite gotten around to writing my review for it yet, but I really enjoyed it. It's not scary in the traditional sense, sure, but it did have plenty to be scared about in other ways: the loads of casual ableism, occasional transphobia, and casual glorification of America's founding fathers :lol:

Yesterday, a friend inadvertently reminded me that I actually own the Grim Fandango and Full Throttle remasters on GoG (I played DotT via the Twitch launcher), so I'm gonna try and finish Grim Fandango by the end of the month! That has skeletons in it, so it has to be horror, right? :lol:

Edit: So much for Grim Fandango Xp
Day of the Tentacle ran close to unplayable at times, but Grim Fandango is genuinely unplayable right out the gate. I can barely even navigate the menu with the keyboard controls because the game chugs so bad. That's a bit of a bummer, but not sure there's much I can do about it TwT
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:46 am

I think I now know the main problem of Gabriel Knight 3. It's the gaze of it. In point and click adventure games even when it's showing the full environment of the screen it's through the gaze of the character. Stuff shows up that only your character could see or for maximum effectiveness, like how part 1 used the comic panels. Here, you will mostly control the camera instead of the characters. It means that during some of the more timing based sequences you can completely miss in seeing stuff even with your character starring at it. It feels like you're a crew member of the movie, rather than watching the movie yourself. This disconnect means I can't get immersed into the game.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:38 am

Funny how this huge news perfectly fit the theme of this, yet I just found out about it now https://news.avclub.com/make-new-nightm ... 1845356857
Return to Together Retro