13%
You Can't Fight Back
17%

Total votes : 24
Ack

October 2020 TR Poll

by Ack Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:03 am

Hey folks,

October is coming, and once again, I have the responsibility of handling your TR horror options for the greatest of months. To celebrate our annual horror extravaganza, I have provided you with four possible options for your horror gaming interests!
You may pick up to two, but remember, your votes are as final as the grave.

Quake in fright as you choose your tormentor:

The Horror of Point-and-Click

Point-and-Click games have a horror streak almost as old as the genre. It's time to pay homage to an area that thrilled and terrified us long before the term "survival horror" was ever conceived. Here are just a few possibilities from a wide array of potential options:

Sanitarium, Darkseed, 7th Guest, Bad Mojo, Harvester, Phantasmagoria, Scratches, Mansion of Hidden Souls, Shadow of the Comet, Dark Fall, Clock Tower, D, Hugo's House of Horrors

Horror RPGs

While RPGs run the gamut of possible themes and tones, a few have ended up entering the entirely horror space. Not only have some of these found huge success and critical acclaim, they have also played a large part in shaping what would become the survival horror genre. Here are a few possible titles to choose from:

Sweet Home, Parasite Eve, Gorky 17, Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession, Laplace no Ma, Koudelka, Tecmo's Deception, the MegaTen franchise, Pathologic

Survival Horror Classics Gaiden

Look, we know the big names. We've played many of them to death. But have we delved into the weird side stories and related entries that make up some of the most unusual horror titles? This is for games that are a part of major horror franchises but aren't exactly what you would think of as "traditional" survival horror. Here are some examples for your playing pleasure:

Resident Evil Gaiden, Resident Evil: Gun Survivor, Silent Hill: Play Novel, Silent Hill: The Arcade, Alone in the Dark: One-Eyed Jack's Revenge, Alone in the Dark 3, Dead Space: Extraction, Real Zero, Dino Crisis: Dungeon in Chaos

You Can't Fight Back

Often in survival horror, combat plays a crucial role in the survival aspect. You must fight to survive. But what about games where you can't? Instead, you are like a defenseless child, running and hiding or dying. Will the big, bad, unstoppable monsters get you? Here are a few options that cannot be killed:

Haunted House, Haunting Ground, Hellnight, the Clock Tower series, the Forbidden Siren series, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Vampire Rain

Pick your poison.
Ack

Re: October 2020 TR Poll

by Ack Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:25 am

We are coming up on the end, folks. If you haven't voted yet, you are running out of time.
Ack

by Ack Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:27 pm

I'm calling it. Ladies and gentlemen, at the time of death, the winner is The Horror of Point-and-Click! Prepare yourselves.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:46 pm

Ack wrote:I'm calling it. Ladies and gentlemen, at the time of death, the winner is The Horror of Point-and-Click! Prepare yourselves.

8)

Dropped in as the final vote
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:55 pm

I've been thinking of checking out dark seed for the saturn for a minute now so this might be my excuse. Not a big point and click fan but it looks interesting, with a walkthrough of course since its import only.
Ack

by Ack Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:19 am

It's also got a sense of time and has some crazy mind-blowing visuals. You are in for a ride.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:39 pm

Was planning to do this anyways. I tried Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of a Monster, but I just can't... Tim Curry as the doctor is fun, but imagine the drab environments, and maze-like maps of a dungeon crawler, where the point of most point and clicks to be immersed in a world.

I will definitely do the Gabriel Knights trilogy and Sanatarium. Replaying Grim Fandango might count?

Part of me wants to try out Gothos, cause like, look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlnB7pgm67s

I also wanna try out, but may not get around to: The Dark Eye, the Dark Seed Games, Faust: Seven Games of the Soul (would Faust count as a horror story?), and maybe Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller (Dennis Hopper and Grace Jones did voices?), also there's a Goosebumps and Are You Afraid of the Dark games.

Still, my long-term Zelda project is of the highest priority.

I'd also wanna recommend the Gadget games. Not 100% horror, but just might be the best game I've ever played and I loved making my video on it. It's more of a visual novel, and well its aim is mostly surrealism, the dream-like sequences go towards more of a nightmarish tone. There is a "remaster" of it, well, an official one, but I mean someone put it in an emulation so modern PCs can play it. If anyone wants it PM me I guess and I can send it.
Last edited by PretentiousHipster on Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:34 am

I should also mention that Harvester is a fantastic satire of 50s American culture and the use of violence in the media. Expect a more absurdist tone rather than horror, but if you love absurdist comedies then you'll definitely get a kick out of it.

Tbh Phantasmagoria 2 is leagues ahead of part 1. The acting in the first part can be funny at times, but if part 2 was a film then it would have been a famous so bad it's good film.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:11 am

It figures I FINALLY find a copy of Nanashi No Game in time for next October and then it doesn't fit the TR XD

At least I don't thiiiink that counts particularly as a point-n-click ^^;
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Return to Together Retro