Join in on our classic gaming club!
Ack

Re: Together Retro September 2020 - Loser Handhelds

by Ack Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:28 pm

Ha, no. In competitive card gaming, to deck someone means to cause them to run through their entire deck so that they no longer have cards to draw. In some games, this results in an automatic loss. I do not know if it does in Card Fighter's Clash, as decks are 50 cards. With a 5 card starting hand, you're looking at 45 turns before someone runs out of cards (barring specific abilities). I have never seen it happen, though theoretically you could build a deck to play this way if you wanted.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:09 am

Cardfighters Clash is awesome. I’ve learned how to win, and I’ve picked up two medals despite only having, literally, a couple of good cards. I understand I’ll need to do some grinding before I beat the game to get more A and B rank cards. Are there any opponents, in particular, I should fight to get those cards once I’ve earned all the medals? That is, is there a higher probability certain opponents will drop better cards?
marurun

by marurun Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:58 am

So, I'd like to point out that there is a small selection of mostly pretty solid Game Gear titles on the 3DS estore. So you can spend $3-5 and get to playing, PRONTO!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ack

by Ack Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:24 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Cardfighters Clash is awesome. I’ve learned how to win, and I’ve picked up two medals despite only having, literally, a couple of good cards. I understand I’ll need to do some grinding before I beat the game to get more A and B rank cards. Are there any opponents, in particular, I should fight to get those cards once I’ve earned all the medals? That is, is there a higher probability certain opponents will drop better cards?

Bosses, because they'll give you five cards. That's unfortunately the best shot you have. There are also a few hidden ways to get a few cards, but they generally net one specific card instead of giving you a higher chance for higher rank cards. The absolute best character to play against for rare cards won't show up until after the semifinals, so just grind on whichever boss character you like to play against.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:34 pm

Card Fighters 2 does a cool thing where it outright tells you "this person uses cards that fit X-theme, and beating them will net you cards from X-series/company". It's a really nice improvement over the similar, but more random, system from the first game. Glad to hear you're enjoying it and starting to rack up those W's, Prfsnl! :D

I hit level 89 in Nazo Puyo: Aruru no Ruu yesterday, and this may be the one I finally look up the solution to. Even with the hint for the level, I'm still completely stumped on what the game actually wants me to even start doing to achieve the goal of the level. I've still really enjoyed the game though, and will continue to do so even if I end up looking up solutions to get through the last dozen stages. It's a really cute little puzzle game that has been well worth the 400 yen I paid for it.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:30 pm

I finished Nazo Puyo: Aruru No Ruu~! It was a really great little pickup~
I'll have a proper review in the beaten thread later, but this is a really cool little exclusive for the Game Gear. There's a sort of sequel/remake (I can't quite tell at a glance) that's not quite the same that they made for the Master System, but that's different ENOUGH that I'm comfortable calling this at least a Lite Exclusive ;b

Definitely a bright spot (of, as we've discussed, quite a good amount) in the library of this "loser" handheld ^w^
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:05 pm

SNK vs. Capcom - Cardfighters Clash for the NGPC is awesome. I’ve earned five of the coins, and I did three more “laps” of all the opponents to win better cards. My deck is now stacked with S, A, and B rarity cards, along with some of my favorite C and D rank cards; so, I’m going to try my luck at the semifinals tomorrow. Wish me luck!
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:58 pm

I was going to recap my Game Gear this weekend but most of the screws refuse to turn. My screwdriver is pretty flimsy so I ordered some new ones that seem better off Amazon. So maybe next weekend I'll be able to get things going.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

by marurun Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:58 am

I picked up Defenders of Oasis from the 3DS eShop since I don't have any non-Nintendo portables. It has a pretty creative soundtrack and good graphics. Combat is mostly pretty plain, but I can't figure out turn order. Sometimes characters go multiple times and sometimes it's almost as if they're skipped. I'm wondering if there's some kind of action economy the game doesn't reveal.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:47 am

I won the finals in Card Fighters Clash! I got “decked” during the first round at the semi-finals, but in light of how long I lasted, I knew I had a shot. I won three in a row on my next attempt, absolutely crushing my final opponent. (I was able to get in a lot of hits with a buffed Morrigan card; so, when I win the match, I had 5000+ HP.) I also lost my first attempt at the finals, since my opponent pulled out a Mecha-Zangief card and a Zero Akuma during his first two turns. Still, I lasted a really long time, and I crushed him on my next attempt.

What a great game! Thanks, Pidge, for inspiring me to play it with this month’s TR!
Return to Together Retro