Join in on our classic gaming club!
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro September 2020 - Loser Handhelds

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:40 am

I started Biometal: Unitron today. I don't know why I had in my head that this was some kind of fighting game RPG, as that is absolutely not what it is :lol:

It's a relatively simple one-on-one fight-based JRPG. It has some neat ideas, like you use your Unitron, you little robot companion, to fight instead of yourself, and you level up, not the Unitron. You make the Unitron more powerful by finding or buying new parts to equip in place of the old ones, and I believe new parts can give you new attacks. It's a neat little concept, although it ain't exactly settin' my world on fire ^^;

If I were still in university and needed a game to play on the bus or before class just to pass time, I think this might fit the bill, but at least so far I think I may struggle to stay engaged with it just sitting at home in front of my computer XP
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Ack

by Ack Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:22 am

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I started Biometal: Unitron today. I don't know why I had in my head that this was some kind of fighting game RPG, as that is absolutely not what it is :lol:

It's a relatively simple one-on-one fight-based JRPG. It has some neat ideas, like you use your Unitron, you little robot companion, to fight instead of yourself, and you level up, not the Unitron. You make the Unitron more powerful by finding or buying new parts to equip in place of the old ones, and I believe new parts can give you new attacks. It's a neat little concept, although it ain't exactly settin' my world on fire ^^;

If I were still in university and needed a game to play on the bus or before class just to pass time, I think this might fit the bill, but at least so far I think I may struggle to stay engaged with it just sitting at home in front of my computer XP

This actually sounds a lot like Robotrek on the SNES. Do you also get to build fight "patterns" or behaviors for the Unitron to execute?
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:27 pm

Ack wrote:This actually sounds a lot like Robotrek on the SNES. Do you also get to build fight "patterns" or behaviors for the Unitron to execute?

That would be cool! But I don't thiiiink that's the case?
AJ told me yesterday on Slack that he's heard it compared to Pokemon, and while there isn't monster catching in this, I think that's a fairly useful analogy. It's more like, when you install certain parts on your robot, they get a new move of a total(?) of four that they can use on their opponent. Granted I'm still very early on, so perhaps there is more to discover? Hard to tell with older games sometimes.

In other news, I also started Nazo Puyo: Aruru No Ruu yesterday. Nazo Puyo is another Game Gear game by the Puyo Puyo people at Compile, and it's basically pre-made puzzle boards of Puyo Puyo. You've gotta meet certain conditions to win them like "clear 9 puyos at once", "clear the board after a 3-chain", etc. This one, though, introduces a story and RPG-like elements, where Aruru is walking around and instead of doing battles, she does the Nazo Puyos of her "enemies". In the starting area so far, she wants to make curry for dinner, so I've been going around the market solving puzzles for the shop vendors to get their ingredients. It's some really tense storytelling, that's for sure :lol: . I joke, but it's actually a really cute game, presentation-wise, and while I'm not too good at the puzzles (or at least they're quite hard pretty quick), this is a really great game! Very much worth the 300-ish yen I paid for it on the eShop, and the save states giving you basically infinite tries makes it all a lot more fun as well (you only have so many attempts at a set of 5 puzzles, if you're playing the real game, sadly TwT).
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:44 pm

Double Dragon for the Game Gear is done! It’s actually a pretty solid beat ‘em up once you get used to it. It starts out really tough, but as you go, you accumulate continues and, if it doesn’t freeze on you, it’s perfectly beatable. A lot of better games could learn from this game’s enemy variety.

Now...on to...another Game Gear game, I guess?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:33 am

Started up SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighters Clash last night. Tips, please? I’m pretty terrible at this game so far.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:50 pm

I'm throwing in the towel with my Virtual Boy; five minutes is enough for bad headaches even though I've adjusted everything the way it should be. Unfortunately the kits for TV out seem to be sold out online. So I'm going to look at recapping my Game Gear and playing Shining Force Gaiden Final Conflict.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

by Ack Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:21 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Started up SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighters Clash last night. Tips, please? I’m pretty terrible at this game so far.

Ok, first question: are you playing the Capcom or SNK release? This does have some impact on what cards you are more likely to get and what cards you can more easily unlock.

Second question: what areas have you explored? You'll first start out being able to move between five different locations. Several of the folks in these locations will challenge you to a card game, and when you beat them all, you then get to play the area "boss". Even after you beat all the underlings, the boss may kick your butt until you get to know your cards better, so you'll want to get more cards. You do this through a few methods, such as playing folks over and over again. Underlings will net you three cards, while bosses will net you 5 when grinding, so it's worth only grinding on the underlings until you consistently trash a boss.

There are a couple of other methods for getting cards. Several of these require trading. However, you may have noticed crane games in several locations. One of these has a random chance to give you cards; I definitely recommend going for them if only to give yourself extra options for trading at other locations later.

Of course, this is just the start; if you're not feeling good about how to play the game, then we need to talk rules and strategies. If you're not happy with your cards and want better ones, well...grinding is your best option and hope you get lucky. Cards also have rarities, and most of my deck was composed of B, A, and S character cards when I beat both versions (with a few exceptions for powerful C cards). Your personal strategy may evolve over time, though I always favored bringing in heavy hitters first unless I figured they were too much of a detriment.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:55 pm

Thanks, Ack. This is helpful. I’m playing the SNK version. I’ve beaten two people at JoyJoy, but I got beat by some random kid at NeoGeo World. Is there a good place to grind cards early in the game?
Ack

by Ack Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:05 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Thanks, Ack. This is helpful. I’m playing the SNK version. I’ve beaten two people at JoyJoy, but I got beat by some random kid at NeoGeo World. Is there a good place to grind cards early in the game?

My opinion? Stick to the folks you beat, because you know you can beat them. If you found an opponent to be easy, grind against that opponent until you feel confident to go take on someone else. A lot of Card Fighter's Clash is based on getting lucky with whatever pickups you get, so keep at it.

I believe JoyJoy's boss is The Kid, and his deck is built around reshuffles and putting his discards back into his deck, but his cards generally aren't focused around power (with the exception of the Andy card he has in his possession). In short, you can't beat him by decking him, so just beat him the old fashioned way. I find him the easiest of the bosses to beat.

I also have no idea if "decking" is still a term used in competitive card game parlance.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:13 pm

I was about to say...I don’t think the game will let me throw a punch, much less mug some poor kid and steal all of his cards while he’s laid out on the ground.
Return to Together Retro