Join in on our classic gaming club!
Ack

Re: Together Retro: The Official Forum Thread

by Ack Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:17 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I definitely think we need to keep within guidelines for the most part. Pre-millennial is before 2000, but if someone plays a game from 2000, I don't think that's a big deal or a game that was released in one region in or just before 2000 but worldwide in like 2001. It's like when I refer to the Dreamcast as a console from 1998 even thought it came out here in 1999. I do think that a game from 2004, for example, would be too much bending the theme for pre-millennial.

As a caveat though, if someone were to check out the original MechWarrior and then decide to see how the series progressed into MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries, I wouldn't have an issue. Yes, MW4:M came out in 2002, but because a person was willing to start at the beginning and then look at how the series changed and evolved, I don't think it would be a problem. Said person can then relate to everyone else about MechWarrior's growth and hopefully talk to anyone checking out the original about where the series goes, so folks get a nice overview and learn about the series. I enjoy the educational aspect.

Something that was mentioned earlier was about folks not having the time or ability to do research, but one of the things about the new means of tackling TR is that, with broader categories, we don't all have to do research. Some of us already have on our own or are willing to do it, so we can share our experiences and insights. For instance, if 1990s RTS categories were to come up, I've played many of the big names, so I'm going to have to dig. But folks who haven't? Well, I can easily point them in the direction of titles that might be easier for them to get into or serve as bigger names. If you haven't played the likes of WarCraft or Command & Conquer, well, you've got a good place to begin.

Now if someone has played the big names, I'd bet odds are that they've already done some research. If 1990s RTS were to win in March, you know what I'd be looking at playing? Shadow of the Horned Rat, KKnD, or Myth: The Fallen Lords. I've already done the research to know about them and have access, but other folks who might be in a similar boat can look at what I'm doing and say "Hey, KKnD sounds cool." And then we can go from there. For folks who don't have access for various reasons, then perhaps we can mull it over and find something they do have access to which will fit the mood. Even better, it might also provide a new source of insight into the genre if they have to go with something a little nontraditional or lesser known.
marurun

by marurun Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:31 pm

Ack, I love your input on this. I really do think the subject experts, not just the curators, should feel welcome to step up and make suggestions and help people pick titles that might meet there needs and be more, rather than less, in line with the themes. If someone is just fixated in a particular game there may not be any redirection that can help, but we can try!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:45 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Pre-millennial is before 2000, but if someone plays a game from 2000, I don't think that's a big deal or a game that was released in one region in or just before 2000 but worldwide in like 2001.

I just worry about slippery slopes. If you give an inch, some folks will gleefully take a mile.

Ultimately I have no control over what someone decides to play for March's TR. All I can do is declare themes, let you all vote one theme as the winner, and then hope when folks follow the chosen theme, they will come to realize the reward said theme provides upon compliance. However, if folks decide to fudge the theme, or straight up thumb their nose at it, I can't stop them. Only the mods have the power to make hard-lined judgement calls.

ElkinFencer10 wrote:There's no rule that you can't take part in the discussions of the themed games if you don't play them

This is a very good point.

marurun wrote:I would hold there is no such thing as an illegitimate retro gaming experience.

This forum has had many discussions on this topic throughout the years. We will never all agree on what "retro" means.

marurun wrote:aren't you one of those folks who plays a lot of stuff on emulators? That's a pretty not-at-all-legitimate retro gaming experience.

I consider hardware or emulation different means to the same end; playing a retro video game.

marurun wrote:If someone really doesn't have anything otherwise applicable available to them at the time and has constraints on their ability to participate such that that single year would allow them to participate and wouldn't otherwise be inconsistent with the theme, why not?

I am sending you a box of commas in the mail.

Maybe it seems weird that I'd like to see folks play mech games released pre-2000. Maybe that's because mech games from the '80s and '90s are absolutely amazing. Perhaps more folks would come to know the joys of Aquales, Front Mission: Gun Hazard, Assault Suits Valken, MechWarrior 2, Night Slave, Amored Core: Project Phantasma, and countless other amazing mecha games, if they were compelled to do so via a seemingly strict March TR. Maybe they'd thank me later.

Esauced wrote:You seem like a really passionate person but this fight just doesn’t seem worth all the mental energy.

I am a very passionate person about particularly few things. Video games just happens to be one of those few things. As I said above, it's ultimately going to be up to the mods which games are acceptable for any given TR. All curators can do is choose a theme and hope for the best. And also as Elkin said, just because someone doesn't have a game that fits that month's TR, doesn't mean they can't discuss games with others that do fit said month's TR. The theme itself may prove exclusionary from time to time, but the discussion itself is never exclusionary.

Ack wrote:we don't all have to do research. Some of us already have on our own or are willing to do it, so we can share our experiences and insights.

A very enlightened point. People can simply say; "I only have these platforms at my disposal, what games can I play on said platforms that best fit this month's TR theme?" And then the experts can step in and offer suggestions.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:51 pm

I’m sure the mods are thrilled to learn they have to be the arbiter of people’s choices.

Does that mean if I played Mech Platoon next month and posted about it in the TR thread, you would expect a mod to move my post and/or shoot me a note warning me?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:02 pm

dsheinem wrote:I’m sure the mods are thrilled to learn they have to be the arbiter of people’s choices.

I obviously meant that within reason. Like this month's TR theme is "Final Fantasy spin-offs". If someone tried to shoehorn a Dragon Quest game into that thread, then a mod might want to step in.

dsheinem wrote:Does that mean if I played Mech Platoon next month and posted about it in the TR thread, you would expect a mod to move my post and/or shoot me a note warning me?

If you chose to play Mech Platoon, a mecha strategy game from 2001, versus any of the dozens of other mecha strategy games from pre-2000, than that's up to you. That's your choice. Mech Platoon simply wouldn't fit the theme's design as it was intended. Would I be happy about that as the curator? No. Would I call you out on it? No. Would I bother a mod about it? No. Would you be doing your part to uphold the TR methodology we all agreed on last year? No. But as long as you're having a fun time playing a retro game, that's what matters overall.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:03 pm

dsheinem wrote:I’m sure the mods are thrilled to learn they have to be the arbiter of people’s choices.

Does that mean if I played Mech Platoon next month and posted about it in the TR thread, you would expect a mod to move my post and/or shoot me a note warning me?

Of course not. That would be ridiculous. Summary execution is clearly the way to go.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

by marurun Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:11 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:Pre-millennial is before 2000, but if someone plays a game from 2000, I don't think that's a big deal or a game that was released in one region in or just before 2000 but worldwide in like 2001.

I just worry about slippery slopes. If you give an inch, some folks will gleefully take a mile.

This is so much less common than many actually think, though, which is part of why it's called a logical fallacy. And those rare few who do really try to take every little inch they can get? They're gonna do it anyway, no matter what you throw in their path. And they're obvious about it, too, so they're easy to spot to try to avoid later.

Exhuminator wrote:
marurun wrote:I would hold there is no such thing as an illegitimate retro gaming experience.

This forum has had many discussions on this topic throughout the years. We will never all agree on what "retro" means.

Even Wikipedia is pretty wishy-washy on that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrogaming

Exhuminator wrote:
marurun wrote:If someone really doesn't have anything otherwise applicable available to them at the time and has constraints on their ability to participate such that that single year would allow them to participate and wouldn't otherwise be inconsistent with the theme, why not?

I am sending you a box of commas in the mail.

Wouldn't help. That sentence might be non-optimal in its construction but is largely correct. Also, there is the fact that I'm a comma chameleon.

Yeah, it hurt even to type that. I love it.

Exhuminator wrote:Maybe they'd thank me later.

Should we send an intervention over to make sure you're not accidentally transforming into some kind of retro-gaming messiah?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
marurun

by marurun Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:12 pm

Exhuminator wrote:

I obviously meant that within reason. Like this month's TR theme is "Final Fantasy spin-offs". If someone tried to shoehorn a Dragon Quest game into that thread, then a mod might want to step in.

What kind of horrible dickish ass-hole would DARE play a DQ game during an FF month? Banned!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:19 pm

marurun wrote:Ack, I love your input on this. I really do think the subject experts, not just the curators, should feel welcome to step up and make suggestions and help people pick titles that might meet there needs and be more, rather than less, in line with the themes. If someone is just fixated in a particular game there may not be any redirection that can help, but we can try!

As a resident mecha fanatic I was thinking of putting together a list of recommendations for various genres if that ends up winning.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:35 pm

I think a list of suggestions would be fantastic. I, personally, am struggling with most of the options for March not because I think they're bad choices but because I have no idea what I'd play for them despite the fact that of my 3000+ games, I'm sure that SOMETHING is applicable to each. I just don't know what. =/
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Return to Together Retro