Console of the Month (December 2022) - Sony PlayStation

Join in on our classic gaming club!
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Console of the Month (December 2022) - Sony PlayStation

Post by bmoc »

Markies wrote:I own and have played through all five of the Suikoden games on PS1 and PS2.

No love for Suikoden Tactics eh? :lol:

Note wrote:However, by the spring of 1996, my 3DO stopped reading discs properly. Sometimes it would play, but sometimes it wouldn't work. Being a young kid, I mentioned it to my parents and I think my father felt bad that the device he bought me a few months ago was already busted. Within a few weeks, my father took me to a Software Etc to replace the 3DO with a Playstation. Thanks, dad! Luckily, the two 3DO games I enjoyed already had ports to the PS1, so I also got it with Return Fire, Need for Speed, a RF adapter, and a third party Ascii controller, as the first party controllers were sold out. This is an especially memorable experience for me, as this was the only time I received a console as a gift that wasn't at Christmas.

That was very cool of your dad indeed. The 3DO was not cheap helluva expensive for its day. I only knew one kid growing up that had one. He didn't have great things to say about it.
RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

Post by RobertAugustdeMeijer »

Note wrote:
My story with the PS1 in a weird way originally starts with the Panasonic 3DO. IIRC, it was in the summer of 1995 when I first played my cousins' 3DO -- they had Alone in the Dark, Syndicate, Star Control 2, and Super Street Fighter II Turbo. I had a good time playing the games they had and asked my parents for the console that Christmas, which I was gifted, along with Return Fire, Need for Speed, and Space Ace. I thoroughly enjoyed the first two games mentioned.
Overall, the PS1 is up there for me! I will never forget purchasing the system with my father and the good times checking out games with my cousins and friends. I still have all of my original PS1 games, except for Return Fire. Unfortunately, one of my cousins borrowed it and never brought it back ... however, I tracked down another copy years ago. There are still games on the system I missed out on and want to check, and I especially would like to experience some of the RPGs I never played. Also, the opening jingle when you fire up a game is amazing!

Great story indeed : D Lovely read!
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

bmoc wrote:That was very cool of your dad indeed. The 3DO was not cheap helluva expensive for its day. I only knew one kid growing up that had one. He didn't have great things to say about it.

Yeah, other than my cousins, I didn't know anyone else that had one. I think by 1994 the price of the 3DO had been reduced to $399, which is still expensive, but I'm wondering if it had been reduced further by 1995. Either way, it was an extremely nice gesture by my dad to replace it. He wasn't a gamer, but he did like to keep up with gadgets and technology, and supported my hobbies, including gaming.

RobertAugustdeMeijer wrote:Great story indeed : D Lovely read!

Thanks for bearing with me, as it was a long winded post!
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Also, I'm just curious, does anyone have any recommendations when it comes to co-op or multiplayer games on the system?

I would like to try the port of Diablo on the console, as my partner and I enjoy playing through loot based action RPGs. But other than that, I'm wondering if there are any other good co-op or multiplayer games I might've missed out on.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I played a little bit of Driver (1) this morning.

I completely forgot, the first time the game gives you control, you have to complete a sort of training mission to prove your worth or whatever. It's a clever way to get use to the controls. But it's pretty rough for a first level of the game. It gives you a pretty long list of things to complete in a 1 minute time limit. Some of the things aren't very apparent how to complete. It's kind of frustrating being locked into this difficult task before being able to play the game. It took me quite a few attempts, but I was able to complete it and get to the main game.

I haven't played Driver (1) in a while now. It's a little rough. The driving is fun, but the way missions start and end is kind of clunky. This is definitely something they improved on in the sequel. The sequel is definitely a better game in every regard, but I wanted to mess around with the first game for a while since I haven't played either in many years.

edit: Oh, and the saving routine for Driver (1) takes for-fucking-ever! It's so annoying.

bmoc wrote:Do it! At least I'm not the only one slacking on PS1 goals. I did manage to setup some lowball eBay snipes for titles I'm interested in thanks to this thread. No wins yet sadly. Non-BuyItNow auctions seem to be ever dwindling.

I will definitly try to get the XStation installed. December is a busy month though.

Some where around 2018 I did get a bunch of lower-priced PS1 games on eBay to try and pad out my collection a bit more. But I've slowed down on the physical collection since then. But since I purchased the XStation, I've been trying to "collect" digital PS1 games. So once I finally get the XStation installed, I'll have a decent amount of games to dump onto the memory card.

Note wrote:Also, I'm just curious, does anyone have any recommendations when it comes to co-op or multiplayer games on the system?

I would like to try the port of Diablo on the console, as my partner and I enjoy playing through loot based action RPGs. But other than that, I'm wondering if there are any other good co-op or multiplayer games I might've missed out on.

TWISTED METAL !

I love the Twisted Metal games, particularly 2 and 3. Not that I'm on expert on the games, but 2 and 3 are just what I'm nostalgic for. These games are always a blast to play. However, there's only so much fun I can have with it playing against the computer. They're really fun though when playing with someone else.

If you have two PS1s and two TVs, you can play DOOM by using a link cable! I always wanted to try this.

PS - Loved the story, thanks for posting!
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I've always wanted to try a link cable game as well. There are quite a few good games that are compatible. It is just so impractical - I understand why it never took off.

Metal Slug X is another good coop game. I can think of a lot of 2+ player games but not a lot of coop. I guess Final Fanstasy IV, V, VI count because you can assign characters in battle to controller 2. Not the most riveting experience and those aren't the best versions of the games.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

OK, Driver (1) kinda sucks. It's been many years since I've played the Driver games, so my memory faded a bit I guess. But now it's all come back to me. Driver (1) is pretty rough, and Driver 2 improved upon it in pretty much every way. As I mentioned earlier, I didn't have a PS1 when it was a current gen console. But I had a cousin that did, and we would often play PS1 games when I was over his house. He had the first two driver games, and we definitely played a lot of them. But now I can remember, once Driver 2 came out we really focused on that game alone. We would sometimes go back to Driver (1) for the Survival mode, just because it was MUCH more insane in the first game (and by that I mean it was so much more difficult). You are timed how long you can survive. Survival mode is single player only, but we would take turns playing it and see who could survive the longest. Also, laugh at how erratic the cops act. Sometimes we would watch the replay several times if something funny enough happened.

But yeah, Driver 2 is a massive improvement in every way. The menus are less clunky and load faster. The saving/loading mechanic is a LOT smoother and faster. I'm not sure if the visuals were improved any, but I don't think they were. The driving physics are a lot different, making it much easier to play. Not that Driver (1) controls bad, but it's kind of tough to get use to. The cutscenes are definitely improved, and the story narrative is definitely a step up (not that I care much, I just wanna play the game).

Driver 2 is also a lot more fun to play because of the difficulty. In the first Driver, there's a certain amount of luck involved. For example, you might have a mission that requires you to just driver from point A to point B. But it's timed. If you gun it, you can easily make it in time. But when you break traffic laws, the cops will chase you. If you have to cross a bridge or something and there's a cop in front of you, your choice is to wait behind him which takes forever and you will run out of time, or else pass him and get chased but then you roll the dice if you can evade him before you reach your destination. And where the cops appear seems to be totally random. So you can get lucky and have no cops on your route. Or you can get unlucky and get cop placements that will make you certainly fail. In this way, the game can be challenging for the WRONG reasons, which is so frustrating. Driver 2 definitely improved upon this, and the game is a lot more fun to play because of it.

bmoc wrote:I've always wanted to try a link cable game as well. There are quite a few good games that are compatible. It is just so impractical - I understand why it never took off.

Metal Slug X is another good coop game. I can think of a lot of 2+ player games but not a lot of coop. I guess Final Fanstasy IV, V, VI count because you can assign characters in battle to controller 2. Not the most riveting experience and those aren't the best versions of the games.

Here's a list of games that support the link cable: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Link_Cable

I forgot how many games actually support it. I can remember purchasing the link cable because I wanted to try DOOM, but there's actually quite a few good games on that list! I own Ridge Racer Type 4 and Twisted Metal 3, but there's quite a few more on that list that I would love to one day try.

Yeah, I guess it wasn't popular because it would be difficult for kids to set up back in the 90's. Needing two consoles and two copies of the game (in most cases) was one thing, but not impossible. For example, you could bring your PS1 and your copy of a game over to a friends house. But having the space AND two TVs would have been the real challenge.

It wasn't uncommon at this time for a household to have 2 or more TVs, but it would have been a chore to set up. I could imagine if I wanted to do that in my parents' living room, they probably would have been annoyed. And I could imagine the same for the parents of my friends and family growing up. "You wanna do WHAT?!" My brother and I both had little 13" TVs in our bedrooms. I suppose we could have brought one TV into the other room. But we didn't have PS1. And although the 13" TV was light enough for a kid to lift, I wouldn't have been able to bring it over a friend's house on my bike LOL.

I do have a man cave in the basement though, and currently I have two 27" CRTs right next to each other. I really only use one, the other is more or less being stored there. But since they're side by side, it's kind of perfect for a dual PS1 setup. I have multiple PS1s and the link cable. And one of my PS1's is chipped, so I don't have to worry about not having multiple copies of a game. The REAL problem as an adult is finding someone else to actually play the games with! But it would be neat to one day try it.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Ziggy587 wrote:TWISTED METAL !

I love the Twisted Metal games, particularly 2 and 3. Not that I'm on expert on the games, but 2 and 3 are just what I'm nostalgic for. These games are always a blast to play. However, there's only so much fun I can have with it playing against the computer. They're really fun though when playing with someone else.

If you have two PS1s and two TVs, you can play DOOM by using a link cable! I always wanted to try this.

PS - Loved the story, thanks for posting!

Great recommendation! I do enjoy the Twisted Metal games and got Twisted Metal 3 around the time it was released. I guess I played it mostly single player, but it would be a lot of fun to play through the campaign in split screen co-op. I used to play as Axel. Lol, what a character design there.

Also, thanks for sharing the list of games compatible with the link cable. There is a lot more games on the list than I expected. Have to say, I never saw one of these link cables, or any console link cable (outside of handhelds) in use back when they were released.

Ziggy587 wrote:I do have a man cave in the basement though, and currently I have two 27" CRTs right next to each other. I really only use one, the other is more or less being stored there. But since they're side by side, it's kind of perfect for a dual PS1 setup. I have multiple PS1s and the link cable. And one of my PS1's is chipped, so I don't have to worry about not having multiple copies of a game. The REAL problem as an adult is finding someone else to actually play the games with! But it would be neat to one day try it.

That sounds like a good setup in the basement! Well, I'm in NY also -- maybe we can try to find a day next year to get some gaming in?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

The PS1 is actually a console I've never really explored in depth. My cousins had one as a kid and I remember playing a handful of games at their house - Tekken 2, Tomb Raider, Command & Conquer: Red Alert and Destruction Derby are games I remember trying, along with a variety of demoes from demo discs - Disneys Hercules is one I specifically remember.

I did eventually pick up a PS1 later on but despite me loving the 5th gen of gaming, I've not really spent much time with the console yet, favouring the N64 and Saturn libraries instead. That said, recently I've had an urge to get into the console and it's library so maybe the next couple of years will change that.

One thing I've noticed is a lot of the titles retro gamers focus on with the system now are actually quite pricy to pick up - despite the success of the console it seems like the mainstream hits haven't really held up as the must play games compared to more niche or cult-classic titles.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

alienjesus wrote:One thing I've noticed is a lot of the titles retro gamers focus on with the system now are actually quite pricy to pick up - despite the success of the console it seems like the mainstream hits haven't really held up as the must play games compared to more niche or cult-classic titles.

I think a lot of the most popular games were technology showcases, relying on flashy graphics and sound to compensate for ho-hum gameplay. Those once-flashy graphics are horribly dated now, and we now judge games from this generation based on their gameplay. This is why, I think, games like Shadow Tower, Klonoa, Einhander, etc. are valuable, while games like Destruction Derby, Twisted Metal, Tekken 2, etc. aren’t worth as much. (Also, some series, like Person and JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, etc., weren’t popular in the late ‘90s/early ‘00s, but are very popular now.)