Join in on our classic gaming club!
MrPopo

Re: Together Retro November 2021 - How the Other Half Lives

by MrPopo Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:48 am

For DQM, you should be regularly breeding them together; new monsters level up extremely fast and each generation has better base stats. You want to treat them as disposably as the demons in an SMT title.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:35 am

I picked up Megami Tensei: Last Bible today! The original kid-aimed portable version of the series (so old it ain't even "Shin" Megami Tensei yet!). I'm hoping I can get through Persona 1 before the end of the month so I can get through this too (and it's apparently a pretty short one, so I'm not so worried about it if I can actually finish Persona in a reasonable time :lol: ).
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:44 pm

I finished Klonoa last week, its a fun time although very short - only took me about 2-3 hours to get through all in.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:50 am

Managed to finish Persona yesterday, so I briefly started Megami Tensei: Last Bible tonight! A game so old (1992, same year that SMT1 came out) that it's technically a Megami Tensei spin-off, not a Shin Megami Tensei spin-off! :lol:

It's VERY much a 1992 GB RPG, holy crap. Very clunky UI, annoyingly formatted text, very slow movement (you move very stiltedly because the game is clearly running checks every time you take a step for if you're gonna get a random encounter or not, even in towns and other places where that number is always zero), but pretty darn good music. A bit awkward doing the monster negotiations with the text being so awkward to read, but it really is SMT (or rather, MT) on a handheld!
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:45 am

And just before the end of the month, I managed to finish Megami Tensei: Last Bible! A very interesting game, given the time. So many wild changes made from the jump from console to handheld, most of which seem to be in the service of gearing the game more towards kids. You can save anywhere, do demon fusions anywhere, the game has no true game overs and just kicks you back to the inn (while taking half your money) when you die. Though it is very grindy, it's also just generally quite an easy game compared to the Famicom Megami Tensei games (which are hilariously mean-spirited, even for Famicom RPGs) or SMT 1 that came out a few months before it.

I'll have a longer write up done up about it in the Beaten thread sometime soon, but I'm super glad I gave this a shot for this month's TR! This was actually made by the same folks who'd go on to make Devil Children, so it was a very cool look into what is effectively the history of that series as well. Though both aesthetically and from the conceit of its marketing (down to selling two and then three versions of the game), it's pretty clear that Devil Children was a Pokemon competitor, but it's so wild to see a '92 GB game from the same folks ALSO be around monster collecting and ALSO have a feature to battle your monsters against your friends' monsters!
Return to Together Retro