Join in on our classic gaming club!
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro October 2021: 5th Generation Platformers

by Nemoide Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:24 pm

Super Mario 64 has been beaten!

I had fun with it, but it also has some pretty obnoxious stuff in it! Thankfully getting 70 stars wasn't too challenging because I got all 7 stars from the first several stages and therefore didn't have to spend too much time in the harder later levels. I'm not sure I would recommend this game for anyone who's just looking for a fun game to play, but as a piece of gaming/Nintendo/Mario history it's worth exploring.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:42 pm

You did the exact same thing I did with Mario 64. I got so many stars at the beginning levels that I hardly touched the final worlds. I got to the level where the water level depends on where you jump into the painting and then just beat the game.

I didn't realize it would happen, but apparently, I beat another 5th Generation Platformer.

I beat Crash Bandicoot 2 on the Playstation 1.
Overall, much better than the first.

For my full review, here is the link: https://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1171994#p1171994
DaydreamStarbeam
8-bit

by DaydreamStarbeam Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:20 pm

Crash Bandicoot 1 feels weird to control due to lack of analogue support... screw 'Hog Wild', too.

As for SM64, I've done it that way too, but also the 16 star "MIPS clip" way :P - nice Boo pfp btw! (Btw, 'Wet-Dry World' is the name of that level you're referring to. It's one of my favourites, next to Hazy Maze Cave and Jolly Roger Bay. My least favourites are Tall Tall Mountain, Tick-Tock Clock and Tiny-Huge Island.)

I should really rebuy Pandemonium for the PS1, was a really good platformer - linear 2D gameplay, but the camera/environments are modelled in 3D fashion, kinda like NSMB but with a more dynamic viewpoint.

Loved the graphical/audio work, pretty sure it was on DOS and Saturn too.
I feel like I have to retreat when anyone potentially knows me and any of those unforgivable shenanigans I refuse to own up to (because others' accounts of them are far more trustworthy).
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:31 am

I was a little late to the party, but I played through Nightmare Creatures today! More of an action game than a platformer, but it does have platforming in it, so I say it counts :lol:

It's a pretty damn rough game, especially given the way it controls. Tank controls in an action game with pretty quick combat do not a fun game make XP. The way enemies' limbs and heads can fly off depending on how you chop-attack them is pretty heckin' sick looking for '97 though. Overall, pretty difficult to recommend, and definitely a relic of the early days of 3D action platformers, but it's still a neat technical achievement in many ways (Euro-jank through and through x3)
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Return to Together Retro