Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Pretentious Hipster's Video Game Reviews

by PretentiousHipster Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:41 pm

I am loving this forum, and hope that it's not too early enough to start posting some stuff here. This is just my hobby for now to fight off the ennui. I've done 25 videos so far but no point linking them all as that will come across as way too spammy.

For now, here is a link to my latest video where I briefly discuss 5 overrated & 5 underrated games. 8/10 of these games are already covered on my channel, so of course a more detailed review of them are also available.

I suffer from some stuff like debilitating anxiety, so I know my speaking skills are not the best yet. I am slowly improving in that aspect though and am even starting to incorporate some voice training. It seems obvious upon seeing the first video that I am improving quite drastically.

Anyways here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1mKq92xe8M 5 overrated and 5 underrated games #1

If this is of any interest I will post more highlights here, like the one game I gave a 10/10 to.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Pretentious Hipster's Video Game Reviews

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:28 pm

We’ve enjoyed having you! I’ll take a look at the video later the weekend (hopefully...no guarantees!).
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:29 pm

No problem if you can't this weekend. Take your time :)

Here's what's coming up in the next few weeks.

For the next one I'm not sure if I should go the failed humour route, or the complete clickbait route. Both are nsfw-ish so will put in spoilers. I can't avoid the loading text for both unfortunately. And yes, this game is getting a 1/10.

Last edited by PretentiousHipster on Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:38 pm

Next review done. I did some experimenting with some graphics, mainly the inclusion of the video being surrounded by an analog tv. It may need some tweaking but it's an interesting experiment.

Still am slurring some words, but I have been doing 1 week of vocal training so far and I do see some improvements. Hopefully I'll improve more soon.

Click on the image to see the review.

PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:27 pm

The first of many Zelda reviews. Click on the image to see it.

pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:02 pm

I enjoyed the Minish Cap review! Part of my brain seems to expect that I'm watching a hockey video, but you have a nice, sedate tone and delivery. I can't really stand to watch reviews with manic energy.

One suggestion I might have would be to categorize, group, and delineate your thoughts a bit more explicitly. I felt at times that I wasn't able to easily follow the train of thought, and I wasn't always sure about the significance of separate ideas to each other. So it seemed to meander a bit sometmes, but otherwise, it's clear that you put a lot of work into matching in-game capture footage with what you're talking about. At least if I was getting a little lost at times, those visuals help to keep things on track.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:17 pm

Thank you so much for the feedback!

I tend to go into an intro, plot, pros, cons, conclusion sort of format, but perhaps I should be more rigid in my formatting then if that's what you meant. I just find myself mentioning a con right after a pro if they are similar topics. This is actually funny because I'm bipolar and suffer from racing and chaotic thoughts. People complain to me that I never stick to one topic when talking in real life, and I guess it shows in these reviews as well. I guess to become more rigid I should save all the cons for the con part of the review even if there's a pro for the same element of the game? I agree that videos with manic energy are a turn off. Gotta go to my bipolar again because I can suffer from actual mania but don't show it in my voice like that lol
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:08 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:I tend to go into an intro, plot, pros, cons, conclusion sort of format

Oh, I see. Yeah, I didn't really pick up on that at all. I wasn't sure you had a structure in place, but if you do, then maybe that's just on me. Maybe just something like a title card, or text over out of focus capture video noting the section of the review that you're in. That potentially would have helped me see your structure more clearly, and some cross-pollination shouldn't undo that, I think.

Best of luck with the channel. I don't tend to check reviews for things unless I've played and/or really care about the game, but I'll keep an eye on the thread for new videos.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:27 pm

I'll definitely ask around the people I know to see if they suffer from the same issue as you. Either way thanks so much for mentioning it.

At first I was going to review every game I played, but I find that no one would wanna watch reviews of stuff I find to be mediocre. I'm just going to stick with great or terrible games. I guess the only exception I would make is if it's a controversial opinion.

I would like to do the same for games as I do with the other mediums I like. Find the hidden treasure and hope to expose other people to it. For example, after finishing Freelancer I plan to play Obsidian, Biosys, and Total Distortion. I'm sure if I find them great that they should make interesting reviews. Of course, the classics like you've mentioned, especially ones that people look at fondly, are the ones that get views. I of course am missing out on a lot of the classics (if there is a good video game canon list please show me) so I will play those as well.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:51 pm

Kept it short and vague to avoid too many spoilers. Adding some spoilerish stuff to draw you in though. Seriously might be the greatest game of all time.

Return to Game Reviews